• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yika

Reaction score

Well, just found out from Kent himself--thanks, Kent, you have been very diplomatic--the polo I received is an XL with a 15" neck. I apologise, Kent, if you didn't want me, to share that, but these troll comments are irksome.
Considering that a XL is two inches wider in the chest/waist/etc and larger in the sleeve, I think a properly sized medium would fit me well! Like I said, the fabric/collar are impeccable; it was just, the fit which was strange--gladly vindicated! :)

So what actually happened? Did you order a Medium and got a XL or did you order a XL and though u ordered a Medium ?

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what actually happened? Did you order a Medium, and got a XL, or did you order a XL, although you ordered a Medium?

I'm not exactly sure what that last bit means, but what happened is: I ordered a medium, but what arrived was a medium polo in the neck (15") with an XL body (42" chest and hem, a 41" waist and a 7.25/7.5" armhole)! How fricking weird is that?! :wow: :p

Unless, it really is a 16.5" neck, and I've caught glandular fever again! :lookaround:

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's a defect. Any product run is going to have a few. No big deal and it's nice that Kent is taking care of it for you.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a shoe question - does anyone here have experience with both the handgrade and benchgrade models? If not, maybe Kent can answer directly.

I believe both of the handgrade shoes are made by D.C. Lewis, and the benchgrades are all from Kent's own shoe line - is that correct? I had been in touch with David at D.C. Lewis and he is a little ways out from restocking his shoes, so I might be able to order the same thing from KW since there seems to be a pretty healthy stock right now.

I need a pair of brown balmorals, and I'm trying to decide if I want the benchgrade captoe, or if I want to pay a little more to get the hangrades with the medallion. Is it worth it for the extra $100?

Al in Philly

Reaction score
OKAY! So, here are some photos of me Spooing it up (which I think I did a great job at) in my basic navy twill Kent Wang suit. I think the fabric I selected was the 7003, basically the first navy one available. My girlfriend took them of me with her iPhone. Sorry they're not great. I do not have a fancy camera. I invite you to come take pictures of me if you feel so inclined.

I selected pretty standard details (dark brown horn buttons, 3.5 inch lapels, etc). The only main difference is the soft shoulder option and the side-adjusters on the pants. I actually particularly like both of those options. The fit is pretty good, but I did have to have it altered further when I received it from KW. Just some minor things: jacket waist slightly, waistband and thighs slightly, right sleeve brought out slightly (my right arm is longer than my left, people tell me it's the shoulder droop).

I am extremely satisfied with this suit. The construction is obviously great and I already have some things to change for my next one. Not because this one is wrong, mind you, I'm just super adventurous. I think I may go +1cm in the jacket length, +1cm in the left sleeve and +2cm in the right. Possibly drop the button stance 1cm and the gorge 1cm. Thoughts?

Deets:
Kent Wang navy twill suit
Tie: Tie Bar-orelli (no judging, we all start somewhere)
Shirt: Distante bespoke (hold it down for Philly)
Square: Turnbull & Asser
Shoes: Alden 901 (purchased at an actual Sherman Bros., there are upsides to living on the mainline)

Bonus points if you can spot the double monogram.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OKAY!  So, here are some photos of me Spooing it up (which I think I did a great job at) in my basic navy twill Kent Wang suit.  I think the fabric I selected was the 7003, basically the first navy one available.  My girlfriend took them of me with her iPhone.  Sorry they're not great.  I do not have a fancy camera.  I invite you to come take pictures of me if you feel so inclined.

I selected pretty standard details (dark brown horn buttons, 3.5 inch lapels, etc).  The only main difference is the soft shoulder option and the side-adjusters on the pants.  I actually particularly like both of those options.  The fit is pretty good, but I did have to have it altered further when I received it from KW.  Just some minor things: jacket waist slightly, waistband and thighs slightly, right sleeve brought out slightly (my right arm is longer than my left, people tell me it's the shoulder droop).  

I am extremely satisfied with this suit.  The construction is obviously great and I already have some things to change for my next one.  Not because this one is wrong, mind you, I'm just super adventurous.  I think I may go +1cm in the jacket length, +1cm in the left sleeve and +2cm in the right.  Possibly drop the button stance 1cm and the gorge 1cm.  Thoughts?  

Deets:
Kent Wang navy twill suit
Tie: Tie Bar-orelli (no judging, we all start somewhere)
Shirt: Distante bespoke (hold it down for Philly)
Square: Turnbull & Asser
Shoes: Alden 901 (purchased at an actual Sherman Bros., there are upsides to living on the mainline)

Bonus points if you can spot the double monogram.

LL

Al in Philly,

The suit looks great! Thanks for sharing the pics. I had hoped to have ordered a KW suit by now, but sadly it will have to wait a while longer. I love the soft shoulders on your suit, and plan to opt for the same on mine. You mentioned changing the buttoning stance and gorge on your next suit; did you specify anything particular on this one, or is it simply the default configuration for the buttoning stance and gorge? I think the gorge is perfect in the pics you posted; fairly high, but not ridiculously so. Button stance looks pretty good too, but I agree, slightly lower might be even better. And by the way, I love my Tie Bar ties.:nodding:

A few questions for Kent: when you click on the suit "options form" on your site, do the default (first) selections represent the exact configuration of the trial suit? Also, has anyone specified the 4.5 inch wide lapels yet? I'd love to see some pics of that if possible. And can you explain the different pick stitching options? I love subtle pick stitching, but I don't quite understand what exactly 2 mm extensive, 6 mm limited, etc., means.

Last edited:

Al in Philly

Reaction score
You mentioned changing the buttoning stance and gorge on your next suit; did you specify anything particular on this one, or is it simply the default configuration for the buttoning stance and gorge? I think the gorge is perfect in the pics you posted; fairly high, but not ridiculously so. Button stance looks pretty good too, but I agree, slightly lower might be even better.
And can you explain the different pick stitching options? I love subtle pick stitching, but I don't quite understand what exactly 2 mm extensive, 6 mm limited, etc., means.
The gorges I didn't change. Those are standard. For shorter guys, higher gorges are usually beneficial. I am 6'2" and don't need gorges that high. Not that they look bad as is, I just think 1cm-2cm lower would look better on me.

The button stance I dropped 1.5cm, and I think I want to drop it another 1cm for my next suit. That, combined with an increase in overall jacket length by 1cm, would be a better fit for me.

I got 2mm extensive pick stitching option. It is most definitely extensive, pretty much on every visible seam. I don't know what the difference is between 2mm and 6mm, but I would personally prefer a less extensive option and will most likely be going with 2mm limited (or none) for my next suit.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The gorge (the position where the collar meets the lapel) is one of the few things that cannot be adjusted.
A few questions for Kent: when you click on the suit "options form" on your site, do the default (first) selections represent the exact configuration of the trial suit? Also, has anyone specified the 4.5 inch wide lapels yet? I'd love to see some pics of that if possible. And can you explain the different pick stitching options? I love subtle pick stitching, but I don't quite understand what exactly 2 mm extensive, 6 mm limited, etc., means.
Yes, the default options are what I recommend for a conservative suit, and are also what are selected for the trial suit. In general, if you're not sure about something, best to stick with the defaults.

I don't think anyone has ordered anything other standard lapels. I don't recommend it unless you're going for a fairly extreme look.

2mm and 6mm refers to the spacing between the stitches. I don't think 6mm would look good. Limited means only in certain locations, extensive means in more locations.

Flyswatter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think anyone has ordered anything other standard lapels. I don't recommend it unless you're going for a fairly extreme look.

2mm and 6mm refers to the spacing between the stitches. I don't think 6mm would look good. Limited means only in certain locations, extensive means in more locations.

Thanks for the explanations, Kent. Sounds like 2 mm limited is the way to go for the pick stitching. In regard to the lapels, I do like 'em fairly wide, but agree that 4.5 inches would probably be a little extreme. Any chance you could do something between standard (3.5) and wide (4.5)? Say, 3.75 or 4?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads