1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

JoS. A. Bank Cedar Shoe trees on sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SchoolyardBully, Apr 9, 2012.

1. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I've hear cedar hangars can splinter with some ease and damage clothes. I saw this years ago in this forum (or maybe it was AAAC). Anyway, anybody know more about this?

2. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

Right. Unfinished cedar hangers can splinter. Once splintered, the hanger can sort of snag on the lining of the jacket, and cause damage.

It's not something that typically happens, but it can happen. I would guess how likely it is depends on the quality of the cedar, the humidity of the closet, how carefully the hangers are handled, whether the gods choose to smile upon you or choose to punish you, and all sorts of other things.

If unfinished cedar hangers genuinely provided meaningfully more protection against moths than do other types of hangers, maybe it'd be worth the risk. Maybe. But since in reality the added protection is somewhere between negligible and non-existent, it's not worth it to me.

Mostly, I've opted for nice, contoured suit/jacket hangers made of some inexpensive Asian hardwood, which the manufacturer has stained to resemble cherry, because I like how they look - they're nice and smooth and sort of reddish in color. They do a great job of supporting my suits and jackets. And no, the stain does not discolor my clothes. Not at all, in any way, to any degree, so that's just not any sort of argument against them. I mention this, since I remember hearing that claim about stained wooden hangers, once. But it's nothing I've ever seen happen in real life. (I have seen splintered cedar, in real life.)

And if I want cedar in my closet, I can use cedar chips, bricks, blocks, oil, spray, etc. I don't use any of these items, but I could if for some reason I deemed them desirable.

(Frankly, I don't even much like the smell of cedar on my clothes. Perhaps I'm carrying around a little moth DNA.)

3. JVD521

JVD521 Member

Shoe trees still available today for $8.75 each

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

anyone have good source to pic up Epic's on sale?
    I doubt they ever go on sale huh?

5. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Well-Known Member

I previously purchased pant hangers for all my pants from JAB 3 for 1 sale. They do take up space in the closet. Picked up extra shoe trees but then felt kind of stupid with more trees than shoes, so bought more shoes.

1 person likes this.
  6. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

Sounds like good reasoning. I think instead of telling the wife I need more shoes, I'll tell her I need more shoe trees first.[​IMG]

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I think Jos A Bank is having another buy 1 get 2 (or 3) free this holiday weekend.

Anyone know for sure if shoe trees will be included? 1 for 4 total would be a great price.

8. JesseLivermore

JesseLivermore Active Member

No I don't think so. I checked under Shoes & Accessories and saw that nearly every item was being offered as Buy 1 Get 2 Free, except for the shoe trees. At least this is how it appears at the moment.

9. dddrees

dddrees Well-Known Member

I just checked and the shoe trees are buy 1 get 2 free.

10. jasonmx3

jasonmx3 Well-Known Member

^^Nice! Thanks for the heads up.

11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

sweet., thanks

12. jasonmx3

Anyone know if JA Bank dress belts are any good?

13. magicspot

magicspot Well-Known Member

Im debating the same thing. I put shoe trees in an order and the belts end up being $25 a pop. I dont think I can go wrong.

14. jasonmx3

I agree. I was thinking of getting six belts tho (combination of colors) so I thought I'd make sure first that they're at least decent quality.

15. MoosicPa

MoosicPa Well-Known Member

Just ordered 6 pairs of shoe trees..... 6 for $50.00 is a good deal IMHO. :D

16. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

Their belts are okay. I have one that has lasted a few years now without falling apart. In fact, it is still in pretty decent shape.

17. jasonmx3

Thanks, appreciate the feedback! I'll just go ahead with my order then.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  18. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I ended up purchasing 3 shoe trees, 3 suit hangers, 5 wool / cashmere socks and a shoe horn for 80$.

So far I'm happy with the quality of the items. The socks are hibernating for another few months

19. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

70% off cedar shoe trees right now.

1 person likes this.
  20. Darkside

Darkside Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the size 11.5E? It is one of the borderline sizes, as 11.5M is recommended as L and the 11.5E recommendation is XL. I do not want to stretch out or crease my shoes.