• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jacket Length Off

awcollin

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I had a MTM jacket made here in Indy a few months ago - thinking about having a suit made as well, but had a few questions on the fit that I was hoping the collective hive mind of the forum could help me answer.

First, I keep feeling like the back length is a touch short and the front length a bit long. Any thoughts?

I’ll also take any other comments you might have, as I’d like to start dialing it in with this guy.

Ignore the fit of the pants. They’re awful, and I have no idea why I still own them.

E0245769-D2F7-4337-A451-3201E283A764.jpeg

8F63613F-9E32-4D88-AE51-C76F756AB983.jpeg

9740DA84-243E-410F-81F9-74DF033CF430.jpeg

Aloysius16

Reaction score
The balance is a little off, yes. It is better for a jacket to be shorter at the back than shorter at the front, but evening this out some more would be an improvement.

However, a much bigger issue than the balance is the overall length as the jacket is much too short. It needs to be an inch or more longer. Also, the button stance is much too high and needs to come down by an inch or more as well. Get them to look at the collar gap and the shoulder divots also (I suspect you need more room).

There are goodish aspects though. The back is quite clean looking and the sleeve pitch looks good. You might suit slightly wider lapels.

Last edited:

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, the jacket is absurdly short. I think it is also too small for you overall. The buttoning point is too high and you really shouldn't be able to see your belt when the jacket is buttoned. I'd say it is too small in the waist. The sleeve heads look poor and the lines from under the armhole on your right sleeve are another indicator that the jacket is too small for you. It looks for all the world like you are wearing your smaller brother's jacket. If this is MTM, then do not ever frequent this tailor again.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I recommend finding a new tailor. The jacket doesn't fit very well overall, but the worst is the length.

From what I've seen, when guys get jackets like that and try to improve things through subsequent purchases, they just spend themselves into a hole and wind up with five or six unwearable jackets. On some level, you're purchasing the person's expertise and service. If they delivered that jacket to you, they're not very good at what they do and no amount of tweaking is going to turn them into a good tailor/ fitter.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, unfortunately not. The jacket can't be lengthened and the buttoning point can't be lowered. Doubt the issues with the sleevehead/armhole leading to the divoting can be fixed on a finished jacket. Best-case scenario, ask for a refund and go somewhere else. If they won't do that, ask for a remake but as @dieworkwear pointed out above, I'd be concerned that a remake would have significant problems of its own.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. Any chance that any of this can be fixed?

Prob best to ask a professional tailor. And if you get it fixed, I would take it to a different tailor from the one who made the jacket, if possible.

Sometimes you can lengthen a bespoke jacket by letting out the garment along the shoulder seam, which would also lower the buttoning point. But this jacket would require a lot of lengthening and I'm not sure there's enough material hidden in the seams to allow that much of a drop. Bespoke garments tend to have more seam allowance than other types of garments, but it depends on how your jacket was made. You also have some dimpling around the sleeveheads, a collar gap, etc.

Again, best to take it to a professional tailor who can look at it in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads