• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^Yeah, I have the tweed workwear one, I believe? I like it a lot, people here didn't love it so much but that probably had more to do with my outfit than the vest itself...They're good vests, fit well, comfortable, nice work on the insides...if that's your thing defintely grab one on sale, but I wouldn't pay full price. I'm not sure if I'd pay full price for anything JCrew.

In other news, it appears that a number of items have been re-stocked on the websites. There are also a few new things up including a shawl collared cardi with toggles. Definitely stalking that bad boy.

freelance robotics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surrender
Yeah, it's my one reservation with buying any more shirts from J. Crew. The body fits great, even better than H&M slim fit, but the neck is way, way too small.

I don't mind since I have this problem with just about every shirt I've ever tried on, and I'm not exactly Henry Rollins. It seems like it's just endemic to menswear these days.

bye4now122

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
^^Yeah, I have the tweed workwear one, I believe? I like it a lot, people here didn't love it so much but that probably had more to do with my outfit than the vest itself...They're good vests, fit well, comfortable, nice work on the insides...if that's your thing defintely grab one on sale, but I wouldn't pay full price. I'm not sure if I'd pay full price for anything JCrew. In other news, it appears that a number of items have been re-stocked on the websites. There are also a few new things up including a shawl collared cardi with toggles. Definitely stalking that bad boy.
I got one on the supermarket for $15, brown herringbone :dunno: I think it might be a bit big, hopefully I can get it tailored.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Not an ardent J Crew fan myself, but you have no clue what you're talking about.
enlighten me, then. I think its a pretty valid point that J crew is sticking to the whole americana vibe(Red Wing shoes, fair isle sweaters, toggle coats, bow ties, apparent levis collab etc etc), while suiting people here( who just go to buy the cheap basics($60 oxfords, $60 merino wool or lambswool sweaters etc etc). But they also cater to the GQ crowd(maybe 'higher fashion' wasn't the right term[okay, maybe not at all] )
Originally Posted by dusty
It's a 3/2 button. These guys must be reading SF.
I think they're reading GQ. almost always after something is mentioned on GQ, they make it.

avery

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm interested in buying the wool university coat with thinsulate, and i'm wondering about sizing. i do not live in the U.S. so trying it on is impossible. j crew sizing for me is a total mixed bag. for example: tailored fit vintage polo shirts fit well in size medium. however, medium in a button down, even though they claim it's a tailored fit, is huge. size small is good in the chest for button downs but too short as i'm over six feet. quarter zip fine lambswool in medium is tiny, too tight and too short. so i'm somewhat lost in terms of what size to order for the university coat. any ideas?

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by avery
hey guys, i'm interested in buying the wool university coat with thinsulate, and i'm wondering about sizing. i do not live in the U.S. so trying it on is impossible. j crew sizing for me is a total mixed bag. for example: tailored fit vintage polo shirts fit well in size medium. however, medium in a button down, even though they claim it's a tailored fit, is huge. size small is good in the chest for button downs but too short as i'm over six feet. quarter zip fine lambswool in medium is tiny, too tight and too short. so i'm somewhat lost in terms of what size to order for the university coat. any ideas?
what's your suit size? I would suggest sizing down a size from your suit size, depending on your build(im assuming you don't have a huge chest, etc). j crew size charts S=35-37 M= 38-40 L=41-43

avery

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, however it didn't really answer my question. i was trying to show that there are serious inconsistencies in jcrew's sizing. my vintage tailored fit polo in medium measures 20.2 inches whereas my fine lambswool quarter zip in medium measures 18.9 inches, and is too small. i was hoping someone who had tried on the university coat could tell me how its sizing is in comparison is to other pieces.

edit: the numbers are width across the chest under the armholes.

surrender

Reaction score
Is their cashmere cardigan worth it at $120 or would I be fine sticking with the cotton-cashmere blend

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I heard their cashmere-cotton blends just feel like cotton. They're also machine-washable, but the only benefit is that they don't lose color as quickly as 100% cotton..

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by surrender
Is their cashmere cardigan worth it at $120 or would I be fine sticking with the cotton-cashmere blend

the cashmere is worth it at $120, yes(I wouldn't shell out full price, would have to be under $150 like it is now), but If you don't want to shell out that much, go for the merino instead of the cotton cashmere. Its a ton better. The only problem is the buttons are cheaper.

Originally Posted by djh
^I heard their cashmere-cotton blends just feel like cotton. They're also machine-washable, but the only benefit is that they don't lose color as quickly as 100% cotton..

Semi-washable. I had the cotton-cashmere sweater(gift). delicate machine wash cold and it came out all pilly and saggy. I stand by merino wool.

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Sutherland herringbone topcoat is mighty tempting at ~$200. Unfortunately, all of the stores to which I've been recently haven't had it. Has anyone seen it in person and would they care to comment on its fit/quality?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads