• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.Crew Fall/Winter 08 Discussion

surrender

Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
it's been a while since I bought any Jcrew button up's and while the XS fits great, the neck on it is TINY. oh well.

Yeah, it's my one reservation with buying any more shirts from J. Crew. The body fits great, even better than H&M slim fit, but the neck is way, way too small.

skunkworks

Reaction score
PSA to Orange County folks: The J. Crew men's section at South Coast is back. Apparently it's the second time they've yanked it and brought it back -- wtf are they doing
frown.gif

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
yeah basically go down one size in everything @ jcrew...

Any shirt I've sized down on has been way, way too short and too small in the neck.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Would J Crew lambswool sweaters be slim enough to look good with skinny jeans? Obviously J Crew, as a brand, is supposed to have a preppy vibe, but would it be weird to have J. Crew v-necks in the same wardrobe as APC NC's, BoO stuff, Shades of Greige stuff, etc.?

I know merino or cashmere would be lighter, but I live in Chicago and could use the warmth of lambswool (plus they have a 2 for $65 deal going on for lambswool v-necks right now).

Thanks,
wmmk

yeah, jcrew is stuck somewhere in between trying to keep thier preppy, classic american vibe, competitive prices, and also trying to apeal to the people who are into higher fashion but buy for the price(hence 'finest italian wool', etc written all over the labels of everything)

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
yeah, jcrew is stuck somewhere in between trying to keep thier preppy, classic american vibe, competitive prices, and also trying to apeal to the people who are into higher fashion but buy for the price(hence 'finest italian wool', etc written all over the labels of everything)

Not an ardent J Crew fan myself, but you have no clue what you're talking about.

daft

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry

J Crew's stock dropped another 7.9% today, down more than 80% from last Christmas. Abercrombie has dropped even more compared to JCG. It seems relatively higher priced retail stores are taking a huge hit in this recession. It will be interesting to see if we'll see a change in direction.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
J Crew's stock dropped another 7.9% today, down more than 80% from last Christmas. Abercrombie has dropped even more compared to JCG. It seems relatively higher priced retail stores are taking a huge hit in this recession. It will be interesting to see if we'll see a change in direction.

I bet Wal-Mart/ Target clothes sales are climbing a great deal.
confused.gif

erbs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by daft
J Crew's stock dropped another 7.9% today, down more than 80% from last Christmas. Abercrombie has dropped even more compared to JCG. It seems relatively higher priced retail stores are taking a huge hit in this recession.

Since when are JCrew and Abercrombie higher priced?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Picked up the thinsulate wool pea coat for $205 w/ free shipping and I absolutely love it. Fits slim, but not tight. The torso could use a bit of slimming, but I love the collar on it and the fact that it doesn't have a million buttons like the Sterlingwear or whatever othe pea coats people wear here.

amnesiac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Picked up the thinsulate wool pea coat for $205 w/ free shipping and I absolutely love it. Fits slim, but not tight. The torso could use a bit of slimming, but I love the collar on it and the fact that it doesn't have a million buttons like the Sterlingwear or whatever othe pea coats people wear here.

The J Crew peacoat actually has one more button than the sterlingwear as far as I know. The naval issue coats, if i'm not mistaken, have 7 buttons. From the pics on the jcrew site, looks like it has 8... glad you like it though. The collar is in many ways much more contemporary, arguably, but I personally love the classic look of the sterlingwear along with the legacy and officiality that goes behind it. Also, Sterlingwear, and Schott, are made in the USA. I like that.

Anyone know if the Utility Jacket or the Oilcloth field jacket are on sale right now? the site still shows full price...

Clyde099

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later

The price went back up on the thinsulate version. Sucks.

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amnesiac
The J Crew peacoat actually has one more button than the sterlingwear as far as I know. The naval issue coats, if i'm not mistaken, have 7 buttons. From the pics on the jcrew site, looks like it has 8... glad you like it though. The collar is in many ways much more contemporary, arguably, but I personally love the classic look of the sterlingwear along with the legacy and officiality that goes behind it. Also, Sterlingwear, and Schott, are made in the USA. I like that.

Anyone know if the Utility Jacket or the Oilcloth field jacket are on sale right now? the site still shows full price...

You're right, I had another coat in mind. Didn't mean Sterlingwear.

I think it's the collar of the Sterlingwear that really gets me. Otherwise I would've bought it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads