• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italy in May - Recommendations please

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I will be traveling to Europe in late May and spending 10 days in Paris. We also want to add another 8-10 days in Italy. The goal of this trip is to have an easy, enjoyable time and not a lot of connecting side trips or schedules. Being in a center where we have a lot of options close at hand is always enjoyable.

(We have been to Milan, Verona, Lake Garda, Venice, Florence, Rome)

Our airline will land us and return us from only one city, either Milan, Rome or Naples.

Any suggestions are welcome for 8-10 days in one or two cities.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the Almafi coast since you have already been further north?

If you prefer staying in the north, there is always Cinque Terra.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Have you considered the Almafi coast since you have already been further north?

If you prefer staying in the north, there is always Cinque Terra.

I enjoy Milan, so heading over to Cinque Terra is an excellent suggestion and easy to do. I hadn't even thought of that.

But, having never been further south, the Amalfi Coast is interesting. But, what would you do for 8-10 days if you didn't want to do a lot of packing and driving?

What about going to Naples for a few days and then staying on one of the island resorts for 4-5 days? Or are they just for a day or two. Any suggestions would be welcome.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cinque terre is nice, they're pretty packed with tourists and are implementing a quota system in the near future. You could travel around Piedmont, or Emilia Romagna or Sicily. We've had great road trips in those regions.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I enjoy Milan, so heading over to Cinque Terra is an excellent suggestion and easy to do. I hadn't even thought of that.

But, having never been further south, the Amalfi Coast is interesting. But, what would you do for 8-10 days if you didn't want to do a lot of packing and driving?

What about going to Naples for a few days and then staying on one of the island resorts for 4-5 days? Or are they just for a day or two. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Last time I was in the Amalfi coast, I spent 4 nights in Sorrento and 1 night in Naples. Sorrento is quite central and relatively easy to get to Naples or other small towns. There are many tour companies that will drive you to the different towns. The cliff side roads are so narrow, I wouldn't want to be driving. I even did a day trip further south to Salerno and Paestum. BTW I found a great local hat store in Salerno.

If I stayed longer I would have gone to Capri or one of the other islands.

I have been to Naples a few times, mostly for the shopping. The archeological museum is great and keeps some of the best mosaics from Pompeii. I heard there are still beautiful grand mansions in Naples, but I don't have the local contacts for access.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another vote for Napoli. Capri is close and it would not be pazzo like the high season - if you want a more mellow island scene then Procida is right there - another possibility (very mellow but amazing) are the Aeolians, but you'd have a 5-6 hr ferry ride, although I'm not sure when start service (June?)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for this input. I really appreciate it.

I discussed it with my wife this morning and she really wants to go to a destination and not change hotels. Short day trips from a base are fine but no repacking and lugging suitcases.

So would Sorrento be a good base for 7 days, and have a relaxing time?

We would fly to Naples and hop the train to Sorrento for 7 days. Before we fly back to the US we would return to Naples were we would stay for 2-3 nights and enjoy the city.

How does that sound?

Any suggestions for hotels in central locations (Naples, Sorrento). We love to walk and be in the center of things.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We've stayed at the Grande Vesuvio and the nice one next door (Excelsior?) in Naples, and the Excelsior Vittorio in Sorrento - all very nice 'old world' hotels. To be honest, I'd pick Capri (or one of the Almalfi coast towns) over Sorrento as a home base. Sorrento is a good central locations for excursions, but I wasn't charmed by the city itself. The Punta Tragara on Capri is very nice and a little off the beaten track.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been to Naples twice this year, each time for a week, and never visited Sorrento (or even left the city). Naples is a great city, but if you're looking for a truly relaxing experience, Sorrento and such might be the better choice.

You can spend weeks in Naples seeing sights and having a good time. I'd recommend staying close to the university, around Piazzetta Nilo. No idea if there are upper class hotels, but there very likely are. Anyway, it's super central--but nonetheless you should expect to walk a fair bit in Naples; public transport usually doesn't make much sense and you're better off walking--, quite touristy of course, lively student life, great cafés, a lot of sights in close proximity. The better pizzerias are very close too, if you're into that. Streets are full and vibrant at night. If you need help with sights to see, I can help you. Regarding evening activities, I think you're looking for more "upper class" options. If you're looking for a down to earth activity with a beautiful sunset, let me know.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@romafan - Based upon your suggestion, I'm currently looking at taking the ferry after arriving in Naples to Capri for 5 days and then returning to Naples for 3-4 days before flying home. It seems that would give us a relaxing resort experience and then a couple of days in an urban experience, which seems like a nice blend.

@b1os - I like cities. I never get bored and love walking and discovering. Thanks for your offer to suggest sites. I might take you up on that.

I guess the one question I have for those of you who have been to Capri is this...is it (as Rick Stevens says,) "A high priced tourist trap" or can you find fun and relaxation away from . It seems like it would be a busy place but beautiful and fun.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A must visit in Paris is antique market at Porte de Clignancourt, better than many museums and unrivaled in the World for quality and breath of merchandise. Prepare to spend a day there, it is gigantic but well organised by interests.
If bored in Paris (10 days is a lot) take a side trips to one of the Chateaus or to Champagne region if you have not done that.
Amalfi for 7-8 days is boring unless you like to sit in the chair and look at the water. Taking hikes up the mountains , visiting a few overpriced towns along the coast, swarmed by tourists all could be done in 2-3 days top. You probably have been to Pompeii or Herculaneum , if not those are highlights of that area.
Amalfi without a car gets too boring. They do have bus connections between towns though.
Napoli is an amazing city. Visit renovated Opera , Archaeological museum that has one of the most iconic Roman statues, walk up to the hills for great exercise and views. For nightlife google map Attolini or Gucci store that area would have all the trendy bars and restaurants always buzzing with life.
Do not eat pizza and do not expect culinary revelations especially in touristy areas around downtown. It is hit or miss at any restaurant in Napoli even if it has hysterically great reviews on Google.
Those are my thoughts.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Medwed for your suggestions. We wont have any problem finding things that we love to do in Paris for 10 days. We are planning, as you suggest, to visit the flea markets and Epernay to enjoy wines.

I get mixed messages from people about how long to stay in Naples. We love, shopping, eating, antiques, museums and galleries. As part of our travel routine we always do at least one food tour. We also love people watching in cafes. SO, how many days would you recommend in Naples? I've never been there and would especially like to see the #menswear artisans and, of course, find the perfect pizza!

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Naples is for an acquired taste. I did not expect to like it, but I loved it there. It is a city of well organised chaos. It is also the most Italian (in my view) out of obvious tourist destinations. If you r planning to do Pompeii and Opera then this is 2 full days another day for museum and 4th just for yourself to browse the city. I can definitely find things to do in Naples for 4-5 days especially if you plan on appointments with artisans. Just to add I love the nature of the city , it is very relaxed , casual and dressed-down during the day. It might sound like a contradiction but it is very easy to feel relaxed in the middle of Napoli chaos. It gave me the feeling that anything goes and no one is judging. In a city with completely chaotic traffic I have not heard a single car horn or seen a rude gesture between the motorists. The traffic flows based on unspoken understanding between the drivers and occasional look.
I often felt I am in a very long Fellini movie. Take your camera with you there are so many characters....

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Five days might be a little long on Capri if you are the active type of tourist. You could take a day to go over to the coast (but set up a driver) to see some of the towns and hike the Path of the Gods. Tiberius' palace, VIlla Jovis; a trip over to Anacapri to see Axel Munthe's Villa St. Michelle & go up Mount Solaro; and some other sights could take up a couple of days. I know people who have hired a boat and had a good afternoon exploring the many coves and grottos. For a more 'local' experience we enjoyed going down to one of the "beach clubs" for some swimming/sunbathing/relaxing and a nice lunch (the one across from the Fraglioni rocks). I would love to figure out a way to actually visit Casa Malaparte, but I think you need to be a Chinese student :)confused::crazy:). Stay out of town during the day (save it for your passeggiata and dinners) as daytrippers really make things unpleasantly crowded.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads