• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Italian conservative business dress

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My only beef with MTM shirts are that the collar styles are always pretty blah.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to mention the last ones I ordered and had made as button downs, the collars were too stiff for my liking.

MGD83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes I was thinking to set them on fire :) in all seriousness, how could I make them less stiff patrick?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A well cut coat with the canvas and shaping are better at hiding flaws and emphasizing strengths. :teach:

No doubt you can do more with a coat but I think I'd stand by my original statement. A really well cut / tailored coat looks great. But it's the coat that looks good. Even the most casual observer understands that there's a bit of artifice there.

When a shirt is cut very well (and by that I'd say as slim as possible without even looking tight or constraining movement), the guy looks considerably more trim. But it's not as readily discernible that it's the shirt that's making the difference. I'd say that most of the time, you'd say the guy looks good and not even consider the shirt.

carpu65

Reaction score
Is interesting to note that Italians at a certain level of money,prestige and often social class ("old money" is said in USA) dress in this way.
Always,in every decade.
In few word there is a model back this style,and is the aristocratic model of 30s.
Is the Duke of Windsor (for elegant Italians a divinity),are the debonair,suave,aristocrats of 30s,are some kings of Hollywood (Astaire,Gable,FairbanksJr,John Barrymore ) are the fathers and the grandfathers (in United States is said "I do not want to dress like my father,in Italy peoples want dress like the fathers,because "daddy dressed the best").
In these social environments fashion not exist,is vulgar.
For exemple in 80s none dressed the Armani's baggy things:they were only for exports in foreign countries or for some ridicolous new rich in show buisness.
Another exemple:
This is Gianni Agnelli in 1961,the now so called "Mad Men era",the age of skinny ties and skinny lapels:

Here in 1962 with Ted Kennedy (note the ties and the lapels of the two):

The Italian establishment wear bespoke and don't follow fashion trends; they do fashion trends,and ever around the same style with some little changes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Italian establishment wear bespoke and don't follow fashion trends; they do fashion trends,and ever around the same style with some little changes.

lapo20elkann.jpg

Last edited:

carpu65

Reaction score
Well,Lapo is only the nut son of an important family
Anyway,when he is not dress as a clown for the media,he falls in the "establishment rules of dress".

Last edited:

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For every one picture you find of Lapo looking good I can find two to three of him looking bad.

I'm just saying that whilst your opinions on "Establishment" figures wearing very conservative clothing is correct you're singling out probably one of the most conservative families in Italy for your examples. The demographic who make up the "Establishment" in Italy has changed incredibly since the days of Agnelli, and as such, your view that all "Establishment" figures perpetuate this ageless style is somewhat simplistic. One needs only to spend time in Milan or Rome to see that is a myth.

Last edited:

CrimsonSox

Reaction score
This is Gianni Agnelli in 1961,the now so called "Mad Men era",the age of skinny ties and skinny lapels:

Here in 1962 with Ted Kennedy (note the ties and the lapels of the two):

Love the DB Agnelli is wearing in the 1st picture. The 2nd picture is a great comparison between the skinny tie trend of the 60s w/ the more traditional medium width tie (my preference).

carpu65

Reaction score
For every one picture you find of Lapo looking good I can find two to three of him looking bad.

I'm sure,but which is the point? that Lapo is a idiot? yes,sure that it is.
But when he don't wear in fancy dress for the media his style is which ones of the pictures above: the Agnelli style

Originally Posted by Ich_Dien

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads