• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Issue with apartment management

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About two weeks ago I purchased a subwoofer for my stereo. This caused a disturbance to my neighbor below, and understandably so, of which I was unaware. She asked our apartment managers how she should handle it and if they could mention to me that it was bothering her. My apartment manger told her that the best option was to call the police and file a noise complaint. So last night around 7 a friend of mine came over and to play Rock Band and about an hour later we got a knock on the door from the Pasadena PD to issue a noise complaint and explain to me that if they ever have to come back I will be arrested.

My issue is not with my neighbor, although I imagine any independently thinking person would realize that calling the police for something so simple is a bit of overkill and would knock on the person's door to explain the problem, but is more with my apartment management. I'm not sure if it's laziness or just some sort of dumb passive-aggressive thing they've got going on, but it seems like it should be their job to handle minor issues within the apartment rather than immediately elevating it to the level where the police should become involved. Does anyone think this is worth a call to the human resources department of the company that owns this apartment, so that they have some idea that their management isn't really managing, just handing things off to others to manage inappropriately?

Also, can you truly be arrested for a noise complaint? I would have thought that that was a situation where a fine would be issued. I was also under the impression that noise violations were pretty much limited to nighttime hours (eg, after 10PM), is this not usually the case?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's really annoying. I had a similar problem a few years ago in whcih the police were called a couple of times. I wasn't even listening at a loud volume. The apartment just had too big of a gap under the door and the walls/ceilings/floors seemed to let sound right through. i guess you can try the management company but i doubt it will accomplish anything.

i like to listen to music/movies at a fairly high volume. My solution (which obviously won't help you now) is to try and rent in concrete buildings. It sucks to pay your rent and not be able to come home and relax infront of a movie without a fear of the police being called on you.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I was once (well, sort of).

In college I had a party broken up by the fuzz who were responding to a noise complaint. They cuffed me and took me to the station, where my friends had to bail me out.

They caught a few kids under 21 with booze, so I'm not sure if they would have arrested me for the noise alone. When i got to the station, they just issued me a ticket for the noise, which ended up being $100 (the same amount as the bail).

Granted, this was in a college town, where this sort of thing was very routine for the local police.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
i like to listen to music/movies at a fairly high volume. My solution (which obviously won't help you now) is to try and rent in concrete buildings. It sucks to pay your rent and not be able to come home and relax infront of a movie without a fear of the police being called on you.
Yeah, tell me about it. Right after the police left I went down to talk to her and she didn't answer the door, although I heard her walk up to the peephole to look out. So I left her a note explaining that I'd just added a subwoofer and would keep it down and also left my phone numbers so she could call me if it ever bothered her again in the future. Within a minute of walking back up to my apartment I got a call from her and she was apologizing to me for calling the police, and she sounded like she was about to cry. Anyway, I'm hopeful that I can work out a deal where I can use the subwoofer at least on weekends, during the day and if it really becomes unbearable she'll just call me and ask me to turn it down.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
My issue is not with my neighbor, although I imagine any independently thinking person would realize that calling the police for something so simple is a bit of overkill and would knock on the person's door to explain the problem, but is more with my apartment management.
You could use some more empathy. Some people (particularly women) will feel apprehensive about going to a strangers home to confront them. That's not unusual. Your apartment management sounds like mine. They say if I don't go talk to the neighbor, I can call the police but they're not going to do anything. I don't like it either but if you want to rock out
rimshot.gif
with impunity, move to a single family dwelling. I think they said they'll arrest you just to put a scare into you. I doubt they like coming out for these noise issues any more than you do.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Try lifting the sub off the floor with vibration damping material. It will not totally eliminate the problem, but isolating those low vibrations from the floor should help.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you haven't spoken with the apartment manager directly yet, I'd do that first before complaining to the management company. Does this guy get a Christmas bonus or anything from the residents? I'd think he'd do his best to try to keep all the tenants happy...

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Try lifting the sub off the floor with vibration damping material. It will not totally eliminate the problem, but isolating those low vibrations from the floor should help.
I'm definitely going to give this a shot. I had already elevated it slightly off the floor fearing that this might happen (and expecting that anybody bothered by it would let me know directly) but I'll have to try something more extreme.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
If you haven't spoken with the apartment manager directly yet, I'd do that first before complaining to the management company. Does this guy get a Christmas bonus or anything from the residents? I'd think he'd do his best to try to keep all the tenants happy...
I placed a call this morning and I'm waiting for them to call me back. I would hope to hear from them on Monday.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
You could use some more empathy. Some people (particularly women) will feel apprehensive about going to a strangers home to confront them. That's not unusual. Your apartment management sounds like mine. They say if I don't go talk to the neighbor, I can call the police but they're not going to do anything. I don't like it either but if you want to rock out
rimshot.gif
with impunity, move to a single family dwelling. I think they said they'll arrest you just to put a scare into you. I doubt they like coming out for these noise issues any more than you do.

Agree with everything.
Silly is silly regardless of gender.
Not really.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yes. To the OP: If you have carpet, get some spiked feet for the sub. It helps to isolate the vibrations from the floor and surrounding surfaces, and it'll make the sub sound better (i.e. more natural), too.
smile.gif

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Countertenor
Agree with everything.

Not really.

I suppose I have higher expectations of women, what with them being equal and all, than you and Homer. Thanks for your response, I'm going to give the spikes a shot.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's sexist to think that a woman should be more cautious than a guy about knocking on the door of a neighbor who's probably some reclusive psycho, given his inclination to blast his death metal without regard for his neighbor's comfort.
tounge.gif

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not that silly. I have a sister, I know. She would never confront these things on her own because she told me that the "guy could be drunk." If you think about it, loud music + alcohol is not uncommon.
I disagree. Silly is silly regardless of gender.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics