• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone else bought Cheaney shoes lately?

Shadbor

Reaction score
This is my first post, so hello, everyone. Any opinions given are much appreciated:

Has anyone else bought Cheaney shoes over the years? I’m having issues with quality lately.

I've bought a fair few pairs and I have always been very happy with them, I liked buying British and felt the quality reflected the price.

I feel like there has been a decline in the quality lately.

My latest pair of Oxford work shoes don't seem to be their usual standard…. First pair, the left shoe was squeaking like a dog toy as I walked, I was told by customer service that they need to be broken in and moisturising where the upper meets the sole. I did this with Saphir cream and it made no difference.

I eventually took the shoes to a Cheaney Shop and explained (over an hour away from me), they initially said they would have to be sent away and assessed. Leaving me without the shoes for 6 weeks. Not acceptable in my opinion.

I said I thought they were faulty from new due to a loose shank so should be replaced, as they will have to rip the sole off and refurbish them if that is the case.

After trying to fob me off for 20 mins the guy eventually saw his manager return, he agreed with me and after a phone call to head office they were replaced.

I try on the new shoe and made sure they didn't squeak, no problems so they were boxed up and I returned home. All good, but didn't expect to have to put up such a fight to get them replaced.

First day at work wearing them I look down and the toe box on the left shoe isn't even stitched on straight, I know they're hand made but these aren't cheap shoes, in my opinion if I bought a cheap pair and they were like it I would probably let it slide as I would just think you get what you pay for. But these in my opinion should be finished a little better than this.

Am I being unreasonable here? I know there certainly are more expensive shoes out there but a £400 inclusive of the shoe trees I don’t think they are insignificant in value.

Ive emailed them about it with pictures and asked if they are ok with these passing QC, they responded asking for my phone number, I am waiting for the retail manager to call about it.

but yes opinions would be much appreciated.

kind regards
Shadbor
UK

D6D19A37-D0EF-41FA-A920-5EFCDD52FD6D.jpeg
C3AE7D3C-B179-4F10-9CCD-D26762D5EC12.jpeg
8ECAE169-597F-46C0-AC53-E1328A0D2CD9.jpeg

Last edited:

Sockett&Bones

Reaction score
Can you provide a picture where the shoes are properly aligned? In all three photos, the front end of your shoes are kissing whereas the heels are spread apart.

Northants bloke

Reaction score
Welcome Shadbor.
There is an active Cheaney thread here:

I live in mostly Cheaneys and a few Loakes. There are sometimes slight inconsistencies but overall I have been happy with them. I wouldn't put up with the squeak but the toe cap wouldn't bother me personally. I have a pair of Cheaney Pennine boots with toe stitching at a slight angle and just saw it as a quirk and not a big deal. YMMV as it's your money and I am curious what response you get.

Shadbor

Reaction score
Welcome Shadbor.
There is an active Cheaney thread here:

I live in mostly Cheaneys and a few Loakes. There are sometimes slight inconsistencies but overall I have been happy with them. I wouldn't put up with the squeak but the toe cap wouldn't bother me personally. I have a pair of Cheaney Pennine boots with toe stitching at a slight angle and just saw it as a quirk and not a big deal. YMMV as it's your money and I am curious what response you get.
Apologies, I’m new to the forum and wasn’t aware there were individual threads for brands. I will relocate the post.

Shadbor

Reaction score
Can you provide a picture where the shoes are properly aligned? In all three photos, the front end of your shoes are kissing whereas the heels are spread apart.
How do you suggest properly aligning the shoe? Not being funny I just couldn’t think of a better way to do it as the toes are parallel this way.

Sockett&Bones

Reaction score
Sorry they just appeared to be angled inward rather than being straight. If they are indeed parallel, I do see the misalignment. Personally, that amount wouldn't bother me enough for a replacement.
In terms of finishing, I would expect this at this price point; particularly with Cheaney, as they tend to run much more and deeper sales that bring their prices down regularly (as compared to C&J, rarely find them on sale and typically only through stockists).

Shadbor

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, yes there is definitely something not quite right with the alignment, they were as parallel as I could get them. I’m enjoying this new pair not squeaking and think I would rather put up with this anomaly than have that again.

Panama

Reaction score
They aren't going to last (no pun intended) if you only have one pair of (work) shoes. I have bought around 3 Cheaney's in the last year without issue.
Barker had made in UK GYW's for only £130.00 in their summer sale. Getting 3 of those would have been a better option. Loake are good too but not as well priced as Barker in a sale.

Shadbor

Reaction score
They aren't going to last (no pun intended) if you only have one pair of (work) shoes. I have bought around 3 Cheaney's in the last year without issue.
Barker had made in UK GYW's for only £130.00 in their summer sale. Getting 3 of those would have been a better option. Loake are good too but not as well priced as Barker in a sale.

I agree but I only work two days a week in the office where I have to wear them with uniform and sit at a desk all day. I put shoe trees in them after every use.
I prefer brown shoes so have just got these due to the uniform and not because I like black shoes, hence just having one pair.
I prefer wearing the likes of these outside of work:
My Holyrood imperial espresso calf, beautiful shoe.

Attachments

• 02310CF4-D5CD-4EB4-A5C1-25A14425B44D.jpeg
    02310CF4-D5CD-4EB4-A5C1-25A14425B44D.jpeg
    66.9 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

Panama

Reaction score
Actually the Barker sales pair that I ordered a few months ago were £99.00, it was the Loakes that were around £130.00.

Panama

Reaction score
I agree but I only work two days a week in the office where I have to wear them with uniform and sit at a desk all day. I put shoe trees in them after every use.
I prefer brown shoes so have just got these due to the uniform and not because I like black shoes, hence just having one pair.
I prefer wearing the likes of these outside of work:
My Holyrood imperial espresso calf, beautiful shoe.
You could have worn those to the office, you weren't actually shoesless.

Shadbor

Reaction score
The European court of justice has adjudicated that it's every person's human right to wear Brown shoes....
We fought wars for our civil liberties.

Too bloody right, it’s just frowned upon in the department where I work, it’s a small department with a long history, one of which is black shoes are only worn, we have a reputation to maintain. :cool:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics