• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a Brioni jacket?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maclovin
Sirs,

I should like to put a vote in for SoCal's expression of Thom Browne over any Brioni I have seen on this blessed forum to date.

Yrs.

M

well, maclovin-- you established your douchebaggery when you commented on manton's suit buttons, my good man-- so your opinion is a little lost on me. But, if you prefer the look of ill-fitting clothes and stunted suits over Brioni and other tailored clothing brands made for grown-up-men, that is certainly your prerogative and your right.

SoCal has certainly nailed the thom browne signature look of this fashion brand, even the matching tie and jacket I think-- but in my mind, no one does retro or slimmer fitting suits better than Get Smart. I don't think he wears his sleeves or trousers excessively short, and always looks sharp.

Edit-- Socal, I apologize-- I thought this photo was of you, and I see it was just one posted of thom browne-ry on the Sartorialist.

Back to the subject at hand, texas-jack can you comment on the approx age of the jacket, and its construction? I have a feeling some of the older jackets had really nice work, which may have suffered at times as the brand produced more goods when they increased sales to a lot more stores.

maclovin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
well, maclovin-- you established your douchebaggery when you commented on manton's suit buttons, my good man-- so your opinion is a little lost on me. But, if you prefer the look of ill-fitting clothes and stunted suits over Brioni and other tailored clothing brands made for grown-up-men, that is certainly your prerogative and your right.

SoCal has certainly nailed the thom browne signature look of this fashion brand, even the matching tie and jacket I think-- but in my mind, no one does retro or slimmer fitting suits better than Get Smart. I don't think he wears his sleeves or trousers excessively short, and always looks sharp.

Sir,

I cannot say that I appreciate your namecalling. I was simply being of assistance in helping Manton kick it up a notch. Subsequent to my comment, he has been sporting nattier buttons and looks the better for it.

Anent SoCal, I find him to be the finest dresser on this blessed forum, and I dare say many others would agree with me. Perhaps you are simply biased.

Yrs.

M

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back to the subject at hand, texas-jack can you comment on the approx age of the jacket, and its construction? I have a feeling some of the older jackets had really nice work, which may have suffered at times as the brand produced more goods when they increased sales to a lot more stores.

I honestly have no idea about the age. The styling is very classic. The only clue about age is the fact that it has two buttons on the cuff. That was a popular look in the US until the 60s-70s but I don't know about Italy. The construction looks to be good but not mind blowing. It's full canvas construction and the fabric is a nice tweed but the button holes are machine made.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
oh, yes-- the white thing sticking out of the back of your trousers that looked like a lacey....thing of some sort. the thom-browness of it all was emblazened on my brain forever
smile.gif
'course, that MAY be less subtle than my giant brioni logo sweatshirt, but........I don't know that my sweatshirt is much different than a Stealers fan wearing the hat and jacket with his favorite player's name on it. A fan's a fan, I guess.

I'd be interested to see the shape and cut of the brioni jacket as worn; always curious to see how their shoulders and overall look has changed over time.

You have mistaken me for someone else.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score

Edit-- Socal, I apologize-- I thought this photo was of you, and I see it was just one posted of thom browne-ry on the Sartorialist.

You only live once. Have some fun.

Yes, that is not me. Though I would have no problem wearing it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads