1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Is this a Brioni jacket?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by texas_jack, Mar 24, 2008.

1. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

I picked up this jacket today because it had some clues that made me think so. The tags look familiar and it's full canvas construction. The shoulders have medium padding and it's single vented. Anyone?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. VMan

VMan Well-Known Member

Yes, Brioni.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Well-Known Member

I thought Brioni was putting their logo across the chest now?

(sorry Foxx if you read this; but, I'll never let that go!)

4. texas_jack

Yes, Brioni.

Cool, thanks. Anyone want to buy it? lol

5. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, once you see something like that, you cannot unsee it.

6. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Well-Known Member

that's OK, man. have your fun, I know that sweatshirt is pretty crazy. [​IMG]
    I'll always have the image of a doilie hanging out the back of your pants, in classic TB style! heh heh.

That brioni jacket looks pretty old, are you thinking about cutting it up for construction photos?

7. SoCal2NYC

I don't recall that ensemble of mine.

8. lee_44106

lee_44106 Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a really old Brioni.

Speaking of Foxx's Brioni sweat, I saw a picture with some Italian racing team members in very similar sweat shirts.

9. SoCal2NYC

Speaking of Foxx's Brioni sweat, I saw a picture with some Italian racing team members in very similar sweat shirts.

Yes; but, I am sure they were being paid to wear them and did not have to pay for them.

10. JibranK

JibranK Well-Known Member

Which Nordstrom Rack did you find a Brioni at?

11. texas_jack

Which Nordstrom Rack did you find a Brioni at?

I didn't

12. texas_jack

Does it? The gorge looks normal, not high but not low, and it's vented. Other than the two button cuffs I think it looks like a pretty timeless tweed jacket.

13. The_Foxx

I don't recall that ensemble of mine.

oh, yes-- the white thing sticking out of the back of your trousers that looked like a lacey....thing of some sort. the thom-browness of it all was emblazened on my brain forever [​IMG] 'course, that MAY be less subtle than my giant brioni logo sweatshirt, but........I don't know that my sweatshirt is much different than a Stealers fan wearing the hat and jacket with his favorite player's name on it. A fan's a fan, I guess.

I'd be interested to see the shape and cut of the brioni jacket as worn; always curious to see how their shoulders and overall look has changed over time.

14. maclovin

maclovin Well-Known Member

Sirs,

I should like to put a vote in for SoCal's expression of Thom Browne over any Brioni I have seen on this blessed forum to date.

Yrs.

M

15. texas_jack

I'd be interested to see the shape and cut of the brioni jacket as worn; always curious to see how their shoulders and overall look has changed over time.

I would too. Sadly I'm a 48L.

16. The_Foxx

Sirs,

I should like to put a vote in for SoCal's expression of Thom Browne over any Brioni I have seen on this blessed forum to date.

Yrs.

M

well, maclovin-- you established your douchebaggery when you commented on manton's suit buttons, my good man-- so your opinion is a little lost on me. But, if you prefer the look of ill-fitting clothes and stunted suits over Brioni and other tailored clothing brands made for grown-up-men, that is certainly your prerogative and your right.

SoCal has certainly nailed the thom browne signature look of this fashion brand, even the matching tie and jacket I think-- but in my mind, no one does retro or slimmer fitting suits better than Get Smart. I don't think he wears his sleeves or trousers excessively short, and always looks sharp.

Edit-- Socal, I apologize-- I thought this photo was of you, and I see it was just one posted of thom browne-ry on the Sartorialist.
    [​IMG]

Back to the subject at hand, texas-jack can you comment on the approx age of the jacket, and its construction? I have a feeling some of the older jackets had really nice work, which may have suffered at times as the brand produced more goods when they increased sales to a lot more stores.

17. maclovin

maclovin Well-Known Member

well, maclovin-- you established your douchebaggery when you commented on manton's suit buttons, my good man-- so your opinion is a little lost on me. But, if you prefer the look of ill-fitting clothes and stunted suits over Brioni and other tailored clothing brands made for grown-up-men, that is certainly your prerogative and your right.

SoCal has certainly nailed the thom browne signature look of this fashion brand, even the matching tie and jacket I think-- but in my mind, no one does retro or slimmer fitting suits better than Get Smart. I don't think he wears his sleeves or trousers excessively short, and always looks sharp.

Sir,

I cannot say that I appreciate your namecalling. I was simply being of assistance in helping Manton kick it up a notch. Subsequent to my comment, he has been sporting nattier buttons and looks the better for it.

Anent SoCal, I find him to be the finest dresser on this blessed forum, and I dare say many others would agree with me. Perhaps you are simply biased.

Yrs.

M

18. texas_jack

Back to the subject at hand, texas-jack can you comment on the approx age of the jacket, and its construction? I have a feeling some of the older jackets had really nice work, which may have suffered at times as the brand produced more goods when they increased sales to a lot more stores.

I honestly have no idea about the age. The styling is very classic. The only clue about age is the fact that it has two buttons on the cuff. That was a popular look in the US until the 60s-70s but I don't know about Italy. The construction looks to be good but not mind blowing. It's full canvas construction and the fabric is a nice tweed but the button holes are machine made.

19. SoCal2NYC

oh, yes-- the white thing sticking out of the back of your trousers that looked like a lacey....thing of some sort. the thom-browness of it all was emblazened on my brain forever [​IMG] 'course, that MAY be less subtle than my giant brioni logo sweatshirt, but........I don't know that my sweatshirt is much different than a Stealers fan wearing the hat and jacket with his favorite player's name on it. A fan's a fan, I guess.

You have mistaken me for someone else.

20. SoCal2NYC

Edit-- Socal, I apologize-- I thought this photo was of you, and I see it was just one posted of thom browne-ry on the Sartorialist.
    [​IMG]

You only live once. Have some fun.

Yes, that is not me. Though I would have no problem wearing it.