• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Sea Island Cotton all that?

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Totally with you on this one. 99% of the time white poplin.

In my opinion, the best shirt one can wear is a nice white shirt. hard to find a shirt that will look better.

just like a white PS.
devil.gif
spam[1].gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread has definitely convinced me to spring for SIC for my wedding shirt. Now, just gotta wait another month or so so my fiance doesn't kill me for spending more on wedding clothes than she did
smile.gif

okwwq7802

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beatlegeuse
Anyone ever try a Charles Tyrwhitt SIC shirt? Their SIC prices are much higher than their standard shirts, but still a lot lower than SIC in most other brands. Not sure if it would be worth the upgrade with CT...might be better off buying their standard shirts if I just need a beater dress shirt, and then upgrading to a better brand for a higher quality SIC.
I believe the Tyrwhitt shirts (at least their current line) are "Sea Island Quality". A bit of a marketing scheme as I do not believe they are technically true Sea Island cotton as previously described. I have one of those shirts and they are nothing extraordinary.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by okwwq7802
I believe the Tyrwhitt shirts (at least their current line) are "Sea Island Quality". A bit of a marketing scheme as I do not believe they are technically true Sea Island cotton as previously described. I have one of those shirts and they are nothing extraordinary.

Good point, you're probably right. I never looked that closely at it because it never made sense to me to spend that much money on any CT shirt.

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Alumo is the best shirting fabric IMO.

Alumo has great value and taste. While working with many vendors, I am unable to publicly favor one over the other, but I will say Duo Cento 200s, and Romentino 170s are some favs for my own personal use. Thomas Mason's old books are like H. Lesser to wool. Basic 100s and 120s, but the patterns are done perfectly. The colors are clear, and the patterns are done as they should be.

Who me?

Reaction score
Hi

I have seen a few people say that sea island cotton feels like silk. Ok, purely in terms of feel and comfort, just how close IS it to a good silk shirt (not flimsy/shiny silk)?

All the cotton or poly/cotton shirts I have had are pretty much the same in terms of how the feel no matter if they are cheapies from a low end supermarket or Zegna or Armani (Collezioni). I notice a difference (sometimes a big difference) in terms of how they are made and last but not how they feel.

I have some Tommy Bahama short sleeve 100% silk shirts that are the nicest feeling/comfortable shirts I have tried and by a long way...these are the only ones that I wear for feel (all others shirts I wear as long as they do not feel UNcomfortable). I would like a couple of similar "feeling" shirts in long sleeve. (Again, just in terms of the material, not the other stuff that goes with TB....I only buy plain colour ones that most would not think Tommy Bahama). I have a long sleeve TB silk/cotton shirt but I do not have the same love for it as the short sleeve ones.

So, are there any SIC (or other cottons/silks etc) close to that silk that TB uses for short sleeve camp collar shirts?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads