• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Sea Island Cotton all that?

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
What does Paul Stuart charge for one of these?

$307 through $427. We have some swatches from one mill that might retail higher, but it is a market price, since it isn't in our factories stock. We do have a constant stock of many Sea Island fabrics though at our factory.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Shirtmaven
also Sea island cotton is usually not woven in ultra high yarn counts. so it stays durable.
Oh.. I guess you could call me a stockist since i have it in my shop rather then having to order from a swatch book

Really? i thought the whole thing about sea island is that it is ultra high yarn.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
It is indeed ******* great. If you are getting shirts made in it, they should provide collar and cuff replacement through the lifetime of the shirt. Paul Stuart does this. Adding on to the point Carl made...140's the highest I have seen it woven in. And it retailed for less than the 120s or 100s version. Also the white was much "cleaner" for lack of a better word, in the 100s and 120s, which retailed 1/3 higher.
If I'm not mistaken, Ascot Chang has SIC that are 200s. I remember flipping through the swatch book, flipping through, flipping through, and as soon as I touched the SICs in the 200s, my mind exploded. I didn't even know what I touched until I asked. I just knew it was special. Cost, if I remember correctly, started at $800 tho.
blush.gif

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by David Reeves
I'm quite well manicured.

I tend to wear white shirts most of the time, the bags work fine.

Any recommendations for wash bag brands or where to get them?

mikevienna

Reaction score
One of the German department stores (Peek & Cloppenburg) here in Austria has a label called Mc Neal. McNeal sell Sea Island cotton (at least that's what the label says) shirts for 29-49 euro. Seeing other stores selling Sea Island shirts for much much more has made me curious as to what type of material the McNeal shirts are really made of? Any ideas? Is there a very cheap version of Sea Island cotton?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have SIC polo from John Smedley and it hasn't really aged well, it's pilling a little. The feel is superb though.
!luc

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Problems:

weaving sea Island cotton in very high counts, means the mills have to play games to stabalize the fabric, so it is not too flimsy. why cover such fine fabrics with chemicals.
the vintage sea Island I have are in lower counts feels natrual. none of the slickness that comes with the very high count fabrics of today.

extra collars and cuffs are usually a waste of money.
by the time you go to replace the collars and cuffs. the fabric of the shirts is often different from the shade of the new collar and cuffs.
then shirts often have assorted food and persperation stains.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple pairs of BB SI socks that I bought out of curiosity.

Great socks but the cotton does not seem to hold up as well as supima or other cottons. A shirt is probably a better application.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
Really? i thought the whole thing about sea island is that it is ultra high yarn.

Sea Isalnd tops out at 170s, which is the width, and is usually 120s or 140s. What makes it great stuff is that it is very long, and so makes up softer than do the shorter lengths of cotton.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieworkwear
If I'm not mistaken, Ascot Chang has SIC that are 200s. I remember flipping through the swatch book, flipping through, flipping through, and as soon as I touched the SICs in the 200s, my mind exploded. I didn't even know what I touched until I asked. I just knew it was special.

Cost, if I remember correctly, started at $800 tho.
blush.gif

I want an $800 SIC 200 TC shirt.
inlove.gif

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever try a Charles Tyrwhitt SIC shirt? Their SIC prices are much higher than their standard shirts, but still a lot lower than SIC in most other brands. Not sure if it would be worth the upgrade with CT...might be better off buying their standard shirts if I just need a beater dress shirt, and then upgrading to a better brand for a higher quality SIC.

Xenon

Reaction score
I have tried Sea Islond Coton (SIC) in DJA which is 120 and in Monti which is 170. These do have a nice sheen and silkiness for their grade but the DJA feels a bit rough. 120 in any material is simply not very fine. I have never experienced or seen the 200 SIC however.

My conclusion is that in quality shirtings fiber diameter (NE) and weave will trump SIC . My DJA Twill 200s (giza 45) are as silky and overall nicer than the Monti SIC 170s and light years ahead of the DJA SIC 120. The DJA SIC is ideal for those that like a heavier weight shirting since a SIC 120 will be nicer than a non-SIC 120. However at the price of SIC it just doesn't make much sense.

The nicest must sublime coton is DJA's Cullinan 300 in twill. This is the cream of the crop of the Giza 45. This coton shirting is the only true silk buster. Amazingly this stuff is not much more expensive than their SIC 120.

For the slightly more price conscious (and more pattern options) the DJA 200 Twill is unbeatable, nicer than any SIC I have seen and almost as soft as silk (not quite) but a really sweet price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads