• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is classy wear going out of style in the Western world?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And that's a perfectly valid statement to make on your own behalf. It strains belief, since modern athletic sneakers are engineered for maximum comfort and orthotic support, but I'm not calling you a liar. Your feet are your feet.

Yeah, my feet must be strange, but sneakers hurt. Always have.

We ask "why has athleisure become so prevalent?" or "why is tailoring declining in popularity and increasingly relegated to the realm of hobby?" Following Occam's Razor, answer is "because athleisure is more comfortable and practical to wear, is easier to maintain, is more versatile for a range of activities, and is far less expensive for the majority of people."

I don't think the response to this fairly incontrovertible truth is to contend that it's factually incorrect-- because it isn't. Rather, my response is "I wear tailoring because it's a joy for me to own and wear." The joy transcends pure comfort and utility -- and that joy is enhanced when the tailoring happens to be very comfortable. But for tailoring, comfort is incidental to its primary purpose. For athleisure, comfort is its primary purpose. Hence its ubiquity.

I think we haven't taken into consideration this:

Lots of people who are not used to wearing nicer outfits feel uncomfortable in them as it is outside their comfort zone. They feel stuffy or put on, and that leads to a sense that they aren't physically comfortable when they may well be.

Is it more versatile over a range of activities? I mean, athleisure wear looks stupid when it is worn outside of athleisure or for the most generic of chores. Contrariwise, does anyone look dumb in tailored clothing unless, say, perhaps we're talking about the beach or something like that?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The argument is rooted in a personal love of their tailored garments-- which is fine, and I am sympathetic to that sentiment, but when making a general statement about why we dress, it lacks objectivity. Most people prefer dressing down because it's the path of least resistance.
I find the myopic view that seems to be espoused on here so much lately quite boring and closed minded.

Don’t get me wrong. I am here first and foremost because I love CM. There’s a reason I’ve got a closet full of the stuff. But the idea that nothing else is acceptable to wear unless you’re at the gym or beach is so incredibly limiting and frankly detached from reality. The idea that wearing tailoring without a tie is some sort of cardinal sin is laughable.

I’ll continue to wear my CM just like I’ll continue to wear my cashmere hoodies, channel my inner-punk rocker with my SLP, get my YeeHaw on with my boots and western shirts, experiment with techwear and hell, I’ll even wear shorts from time to time.

rjc149

Reaction score
Yeah, my feet must be strange, but sneakers hurt. Always have.

I think we haven't taken into consideration this:

Lots of people who are not used to wearing nicer outfits feel uncomfortable in them as it is outside their comfort zone. They feel stuffy or put on, and that leads to a sense that they aren't physically comfortable when they may well be.

Is it more versatile over a range of activities? I mean, athleisure wear looks stupid when it is worn outside of athleisure or for the most generic of chores. Contrariwise, does anyone look dumb in tailored clothing unless, say, perhaps we're talking about the beach or something like that?
Agreed that an aspect of whether tailoring is enjoyed or not is self-conscious projection— either the confidence from knowing that you look sharp, or the anxiety from believing that you stand out and are drawing attention to yourself.

My argument is that the preference to wear tailoring transcends pure comfort. The preference to wear athleisure doesn’t — because that’s pretty much the only reason it’s worn.

Blastwice

Reaction score
The place I am most uncomfortable, in general, is in airplanes. I'm a tall man with sinuses that disagree with air travel, so flying is always a pain and there's no place I want to feel better than on a plane. Not to mention, the whole process where you have to go through TSA, be treated like an animal at every point, etc. etc. makes it both mentally and physically demanding.

And what do I wear on these excursions into the air when I feel most vulnerable and uncomfortable? Tailored wool pants, a tailored wool jacket, a merino wool t-shirt from a vendor that offers them very infrequently or a MTM shirt, and shoes made by a traditional shoemaker. You cannot tell me there are more comfortable garments, because I literally had these made for my frequent air travel and they are designed for long-term comfort, usability (pockets, etc.), temperature control, etc. that just doesn't exist in a pair of dad jeans or basketball shorts or some New Balance.

This is just one example, but there are MANY. Suspenders to hold your pants up! More comfortable than a belt or a drawstring, to some people, certainly, myself included. Boots vs. Sneakers-- another matter of pure taste and preference. And last but not least, the people who make fancy pants, can also make fancy, comfortable shorts! A pair of linen tailored shorts in the summer? Blasphemy? No, logical, comfortable, and stylish.

Professor_3

Reaction score
I hesitate to bring this up because it’s been discussed before, but I think some of the preference for casual clothes is to avoid the relative discomfort of “dress shoes”.
I’d have to say those might not be the best dress shoes for you. For me, wearing Alden’s has been a game changer. One pair of well-fitting shoes for $600 is better than three pair of ill-fitting $200 shoes.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d have to say those might not be the best dress shoes for you. For me, wearing Alden’s has been a game changer. One pair of well-fitting shoes for $600 is better than three pair of ill-fitting $200 shoes.

No that’s not my point at all. I don’t disagree with you but my comment is that no dress shoes can ever be as comfortable as sneakers. I don’t think my dress shoes are uncomfortable by any means…but they aren’t made of mesh and nylon with padding around the ankle and heel, so they lose automatically

Professor_3

Reaction score
No that’s not my point at all. I don’t disagree with you but my comment is that no dress shoes can ever be as comfortable as sneakers. I don’t think my dress shoes are uncomfortable by any means…but they aren’t made of mesh and nylon with padding around the ankle and heel, so they lose automatically
Great point. It’s an interesting discussion. On the one hand, tailoring (loose definition) is expensive so I tend to try to be extra careful with it but on the other hand, it’s meant to be lived in. I read something the other day about how iconic items like Barbour jackets are heritage items that often get passed down from father to son and how at least some of the appeal is that it’s worn in. For instance, elbow patches aren’t something that should go on a brand new jacket or sweater rather only when the elbow is sufficiently worn to the point that the patch is needed.

Lately, I’ve come to the realization that I have clothes for specific occasions. I wear golf clothes for golf, tennis clothes for tennis, work clothes for work, and hang out clothes for hanging out. The lines have definitely blurred over the years with men dressing more casually even when they shouldn’t. But that’s a conversation for another day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads