• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Classical Music Dying?

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem classical music has to modern audiences is the lack of any sincerity or profundity in the emotive aspect of the sound... I mean let's face it, most of Mozart is just a bunch of glib childish fiddling that only violinists or crossword-puzzlers (or jazz enthusiasts) really enjoy. Whenever classical music tries to be sincere, the subject of the song is some unrelatable greek tragedy or some crap. Add on top of that is the length of the pieces, which were intended to take up a whole evening. Moreover, and no offense intended, but a whole generation of ambitious yuppie east coast and asian-american parents have kind of assumed classical music as some sort of mark of elitism, further tainting the atmosphere.

I'm really only interested in music that engenders some sort of transcendent feelings, whatever they may be, and isn't mere petty entertainment or background music...

(Now baroque, (Handel, Lully, etc.) is good stuff)

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take a look at the sales numbers for classical music. Many weeks, moving 200 disks will land a recording on the Billboard Classical Top 10, no exaggeration.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Pachelbel and Froberger, just off the top of my head.
I find them boring. Mahler and Shostakovich sell records - not Pachelbel.
And classical music as a genre doesn't develop. That's why it's classical music. There may be very minor changes in performances over the years but that should always be secondary to the performance of the piece. If you want contemporary versions of classical music for modern audiences you get this: No thank you. I'm happy to know that I've got Furtwangler's version of the 9th on CD and I don't need to buy another copy. Frankly, I don't care which flavour of the week is putting out another version.
No, I don't think so. The contents of that link is indeed garbage, but contemporary classical music to me is something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl3wU...eature=related A phenomenal performer and a piece that has yet to its deserved recognition. Other modern composers include Tan Dun, Turnage, Ewazen, etc.
Originally Posted by Lostinthesupermarket
What format are you listening to the music on, as a matter of interest?
Redbook for the most part - it's enough for me. I like SACD and Vinyl as much as the next man, but find regular CDs to be completely adequate.
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
You can always buy Julia Fischer instead.
teacha.gif

Hilary Hahn FTW but JF is quite amazing too. The one to look out for is a cello player named Tina Guo. She has a bit of a colorful personality but she was born to play the hell out of the thing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cminor
I hope whoever design the program for SF Symphony and MTT got fired. Absolutely pathetic programs.

Very schlocky, appeals to the retired PBS subscribers who take the BART down from Berkeley for one of the numerous Puccini/Bizet recitals.

pinchi22

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
Add on top of that is the length of the pieces, which were intended to take up a whole evening.

So, music that requires an attention span of more than 3 minutes is a bad thing?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Was at J&R in lower Manhattan today and their classical music department is terrific!

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at J&R in lower Manhattan today and their classical music department is terrific!
It's certainly not bad - when I was in college I spent countless hours hanging out in Amoeba locations in SF and Berkeley. Have you been AF?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Probably the best in the city. The prices are pretty good too as they usually have a couple of labels on sale.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
It's certainly not bad - when I was in college I spent countless hours hanging out in Amoeba locations in SF and Berkeley. Have you been AF?
Yes, many times. Have a client in downtown San Franhippy. Amoeba and Rasputin are great stores. Really like the Berkeley locations best although Amoeba in the Haight is great.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
Hilary Hahn FTW but JF is quite amazing too. The one to look out for is a cello player named Tina Guo. She has a bit of a colorful personality but she was born to play the hell out of the thing.

Pentatone has signed Arrabella Steinbacher to sort of replace Julia Fischer and she is well regarded but I have not bought any of her discs yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads