• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Classical Music Dying?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is crap, it's not dying at all. Just because people aren't rushing out to buy the latest cover version of Rachmaninoff doesn't mean the industry is dying. How many more copies of Beethoven's 9th do you really think the record industry is going to be able to sell me?

If classical music can't make money, it can't stay alive. And it's notable that recordings appear to do worse than concert ticket sales. If everyone who attended the National Symphony Orchestra on a given night bought a copy of the same album, that album would leap to the top of the classical charts every week.
Again, the works aren't going anywhere. Just because a bunch of overpaid record execs can't find a way to make money of three or four hundred year old compositions doesn't mean Classical Music is dead.

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Again, the works aren't going anywhere. Just because a bunch of overpaid record execs can't find a way to make money of three or four hundred year old compositions doesn't mean Classical Music is dead.
How much do you know about the subject? Which 3 to 4 hundred year old composers do you listen to? Mozart just turned 254. Old works are great, but performers have to be alive to keep the tradition going. New works have to be composed and published to continue the genre's development.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thenanyu
How much do you know about the subject? Which 3 to 4 hundred year old composers do you listen to? Mozart just turned 254.

Old works are great, but performers have to be alive to keep the tradition going. New works have to be composed and published to continue the genre's development.

Pachelbel and Froberger, just off the top of my head.

And classical music as a genre doesn't develop. That's why it's classical music. There may be very minor changes in performances over the years but that should always be secondary to the performance of the piece. If you want contemporary versions of classical music for modern audiences you get this:

No thank you. I'm happy to know that I've got Furtwangler's version of the 9th on CD and I don't need to buy another copy. Frankly, I don't care which flavour of the week is putting out another version.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
This is crap, it's not dying at all. Just because people aren't rushing out to buy the latest cover version of Rachmaninoff doesn't mean the industry is dying. How many more copies of Beethoven's 9th do you really think the record industry is going to be able to sell me?

I think in some ways it is "dying" but perhaps we need to define what dying is...going away completely? No. Diminished sales? Yes.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I think in some ways it is "dying" but perhaps we need to define what dying is...going away completely? No. Diminished sales? Yes.

Diminished sales of what? Tickets to the symphony? CDs?

Are diminished sales of CDs really indicative of classical music dying or of the recording industry in general dying?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Norman LeBrecht has been bemoaning and lamenting this same topic for years now, and thinks that the answer lies in downloads and increased flexiblilty in ensembles to accept lower fees for their recordings.

Whether that works or not, we're still faced with the lionization of a few select (dead) composers and a glut of young talent to tread the same ground over and over. I'm not sure how many more Rach 3rd's I care to buy, particularly since I have both Argerich's version AND Helfgott's.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'm listening to more and more classical music. Maybe I'm getting older and 24 year olds singing about broken relationships don't appeal to me anymore, but the variety of moods it can compliment and its subtlety of technical merit is second to no other genre. I've been listening to Erik Satie quite a bit this week after getting his complete piano works on cd, as well as digging deeper into Beethoven, Debussy, and Prokofiev.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milpool
Diminished sales of what? Tickets to the symphony? CDs?

Are diminished sales of CDs really indicative of classical music dying or of the recording industry in general dying?

Both CD sales and symphony tickets are down.

Milpool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Both CD sales and symphony tickets are down.

I honestly don't know much about this, but was this a trend before the economy went to hell?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Norman LeBrecht has been bemoaning and lamenting this same topic for years now, and thinks that the answer lies in downloads and increased flexiblilty in ensembles to accept lower fees for their recordings.

LeBrecht is like the Roubini of the classical music world, except even less accurate.

The world is changing and people are listening and accessing the classical arts in different ways. Those organizations that can't change to adapt are dying, and this is what we're seeing now. There are also arts organizations that are thriving, like the LA Phil, KUSC, and the Met.

--Andre

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
I'm listening to more and more classical music. Maybe I'm getting older and 24 year olds singing about broken relationships don't appeal to me anymore, but the variety of moods it can compliment and its subtlety of technical merit is second to no other genre. I've been listening to Erik Satie quite a bit this week after getting his complete piano works on cd, as well as digging deeper into Beethoven, Debussy, and Prokofiev.
I listen to it daily as I work. After a stressful day, there is no other type of music I want to hear in the car on my drive home.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
How many downloads on iTunes, Amazon, HDTracks, etc? That's where the juice is nowadays. 20 years ago, a massive classical 'hit' moved 25,000 copies. It's all about the downloads today. We're about 5% of the market. Always have been.

Then, of course, there's this.

Thought the figure was 3%?

"The classical charts have always been looked at as in the 3-percenter club," says Alex Miller, general manager of Sony Masterworks. "Three percent of total music sales are in classical music."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...012904193.html

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...although on iTunes, Classical makes up 12%?

"And apparently - even though the clichÃ
00a9.png
classical music listener is stodgy and gray - classical music is more popular on the Internet than it was in stores. Whereas classical music made up only 3 percent of CD sales in retail stores, it actually accounts for 12 percent of all sales on Apple's iTunes."

http://www.chicagoclassicalmusic.org/blog/108?page=2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads