• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
I'm nearly clear of around $27k in credit card debt ($2k left to go) and $34.5k in Auto loans. ($1844 left) It's doable. Good luck.

damn right - after my period of unemployment a few years ago I had a chunk of debt and finished paying it off this november. huge improvement in life. keep up thje good work, it is right around the corner.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
damn right - after my period of unemployment a few years ago I had a chunk of debt and finished paying it off this november. huge improvement in life. keep up thje good work, it is right around the corner.

Yes. It feels great to be in control of your money and finances, instead of the other way round.

Great job guys!

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie

Maybe you can eat a bullet then.

... that was rude.
smile.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Like America, I'm too big and white to be s**t poor [/sarcasm]

The US is still white? Who knew?

montyharding

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
i am a **** baller.
You need to get that looked at. I've *lived* s**t poor many times. Ironically getting paid very well for it. Beyond that - no, never been s**t poor.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ssnyc
Like America, I'm too big and white to be s**t poor [/sarcasm]

Too big to fail?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Astan, I was sort of in a similar situation as you, having just taken and passed the Bar exam this past July. If your weekdays are currently free, something you might want to try is hanging around your local municipal/city court (or even state court) during sessions of criminal appearances. Wear a suit, bring business cards, have pens and paper, etc. at the ready. You can very likely pick up some clients with extremely simple (to you) legal problems. I'm talking about simple misdemeanors like simple possession of marijuana, criminal trespassing, things like that. Offer to represent them for a flat rate, say, something like $300-$500. Don't try to bite off more than you can chew with a charge that will result in a full-blown trial if you enter a not guilty plea, as you won't be able to afford it.

The first time I did this, I agreed to represent a guy facing a trumped-up criminal domestic violence charge for a flat $500. He didn't have much money, but he paid me $200 up front and then $50 a month until the balance was paid. I basically interviewed him, the complainant (his fiancee), and talked the prosecutor into deferring his case for 90 days and then dismissing it, and modifying the conditions of his bond. It really isn't very difficult for someone who isn't a complete legal idiot. It's not glamorous by any means, but you're also likely to make valuable connections with other lawyers or get referrals from your clients. With these types of cases, the prosecutors want to get them off their docket just as much as the defendant wants them to go away. Anyway, something to think about.

To the OP, I think you might want to re-think your spending habits if you're buying C&Js and "bespoken" shirts, while having barely enough money to eat on a weekly basis.

Some great stories here. I'm fortunate enough not to have ever come remotely close to living the way some of you have, but the stories are inspiring just the same.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

OT (maybe this belongs in the divoce sucks thread):

My father once did this. He cleared up his 40k line of credit by dutifully paying a 800 every month. After separation (but not yet divorce) with my mother, she went behind his back and bought an SUV, using up the whole thing. He got a call from the bank a couple months afterwards asking why he wasn't making payments on his line of credit anymore and he told them that it was because it was all paid off. They told him it was maxed out.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
OT (maybe this belongs in the divoce sucks thread):

My father once did this. He cleared up his 40k line of credit by dutifully paying a 800 every month. After separation (but not yet divorce) with my mother, she went behind his back and bought an SUV, using up the whole thing. He got a call from the bank a couple months afterwards asking why he wasn't making payments on his line of credit anymore and he told them that it was because it was all paid off. They told him it was maxed out.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Ouch.

Gingahbman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
A rough patch when I was very young. But never poor. I think my parents glossed it over well to the eyes of a child.

I'm actually very lucky to be a leg up on most people my age and I have a lot of thanks to give to my parents for that.

Same. The good times started rolling in a few years after I was born. I dunno how my dad dealt with the bullshit that he had to growing up, but either way I'm thankful for all he's given our family.

Astan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
A year, dude? You really need a plan B or anything at all. Unfortunately you're becoming less marketable with every month you're jobless. It sucks but it's true. What was your planned specialty and what did you want to do?

Honestly, I don't know what to do. I am worried that if they see a year gap i employment on my resume people will start asking questions but I'm not the only one. The legal profession here was toasted, burned to a crisp and annihilated by the recession. I wanted to do contract law or some tort law, really anything except bankruptcy and criminal.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been poor as a child, 3 or 4 times we were basically at the mercy of a landlord that could have evicted us, and most of my growing up we were at the stage where we had an old car, the kids wore used clothes, and we has to be very careful of what we ate.

when I got out of the army I had something like 200 bucks, no clothes, no place to live, no car.

4 years ago the company I worked for went bankrupt, I had spent my life savings on moving my family to the states, and the company that I had worked for, before going bankrupt, hadn't paid me everyting it owed me, so I was pretty broke with no savings and no job, a pregnant wife and a 5 year old son. that was about the toughest period of my life.

Take out the pregnant part and change the kid's age to 9 and that pretty much sums up my current situation.

TGPlastic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
Astan, I was sort of in a similar situation as you, having just taken and passed the Bar exam this past July. If your weekdays are currently free, something you might want to try is hanging around your local municipal/city court (or even state court) during sessions of criminal appearances. Wear a suit, bring business cards, have pens and paper, etc. at the ready. You can very likely pick up some clients with extremely simple (to you) legal problems. I'm talking about simple misdemeanors like simple possession of marijuana, criminal trespassing, things like that. Offer to represent them for a flat rate, say, something like $300-$500. Don't try to bite off more than you can chew with a charge that will result in a full-blown trial if you enter a not guilty plea, as you won't be able to afford it.

The first time I did this, I agreed to represent a guy facing a trumped-up criminal domestic violence charge for a flat $500. He didn't have much money, but he paid me $200 up front and then $50 a month until the balance was paid. I basically interviewed him, the complainant (his fiancee), and talked the prosecutor into deferring his case for 90 days and then dismissing it, and modifying the conditions of his bond. It really isn't very difficult for someone who isn't a complete legal idiot. It's not glamorous by any means, but you're also likely to make valuable connections with other lawyers or get referrals from your clients. With these types of cases, the prosecutors want to get them off their docket just as much as the defendant wants them to go away. Anyway, something to think about.

If you entertain the idea of doing low level criminal work, you must do this stuff first so as not to ******* up:

1. Watch a few day's worth of local criminal dockets and learn the customary litanies (advisement of rights and so forth on the record) that you'll need to make.

2. Read the rules of pro res concerning when representation starts, ends, and what your duties are. How does representation work when grandma pays you to rep junior? Think really hard abut this ****.

3. Create a written fee agreement based on models you find in the law library. Get motherfuckers to sign it before you start lawyering.

4. Then get money up front. All of it.

5. Don't promise **** about the outcome of court ****.

6. Establish a good system for keeping your case files.

7. Look for conflicts of interest and do not put yourself in a conflict situation that wasn't or can't be waived.

8. Handle money with terrific care and in precise accord with the rules. ******* this up is how you get disbarred.

9. Make sure you do not rely on your client's version of the facts of his case or on his recollection of his criminal record.

10. Always talk to the cops who did the arrest. Be sure to tell them you think your client is an asshole.

11. Act like you know everything and everyone at all times.

PS I had a client go down for 6 years today on an assault! He actually drove to court and walked in the front door a free man. He left by the back door, wearing cuffs. My original guess was that his was a probation case. I did everything right. Judge got it wrong. What made it OK is that I was not late for my 2pm squash court reservation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads