• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is anyone here s**t poor?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Take out the pregnant part and change the kid's age to 9 and that pretty much sums up my current situation.

sorry to hear that

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank fully no. My family has gone through rough patches but nothing close to some of the things listed here.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember back in the late eighties/early nineties when Taco Bell had it's .39/.59/.79 cents menu - where allmost everything fell into one of those 3 prices? Bean burritos were in the .39 bracket. When payday rolled around every 2 weeks, I'd buy like 30 of them for around $15 and that would be dinners plus a couple for snacking for 2 weeks. I literally lived off of them. I had no choice, it was all I could afford. I did that for about4 to 6 months. And I always bought them on payday because, before I got into the habit, I found myself out of money before the next payday (usually spent at a bar) and literally no food for a couple of days. Go hungry for a few days and you'll learn to budget damn fast.

I don't think I could bring myself to eat one today. It's like the thought of drinking Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum which I dry-heaved on for 8 hours.

That's not quite Haiti poor, or as poor as some places I've seen in central and south America. But for the USofA, well, I was down in it.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
OT (maybe this belongs in the divoce sucks thread):

My father once did this. He cleared up his 40k line of credit by dutifully paying a 800 every month. After separation (but not yet divorce) with my mother, she went behind his back and bought an SUV, using up the whole thing. He got a call from the bank a couple months afterwards asking why he wasn't making payments on his line of credit anymore and he told them that it was because it was all paid off. They told him it was maxed out.
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Son of a *****!

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TGPlastic
If you entertain the idea of doing low level criminal work, you must do this stuff first so as not to ******* up:

1. Watch a few day's worth of local criminal dockets and learn the customary litanies (advisement of rights and so forth on the record) that you'll need to make.

2. Read the rules of pro res concerning when representation starts, ends, and what your duties are. How does representation work when grandma pays you to rep junior? Think really hard abut this ****.

3. Create a written fee agreement based on models you find in the law library. Get motherfuckers to sign it before you start lawyering.

4. Then get money up front. All of it.

5. Don't promise **** about the outcome of court ****.

6. Establish a good system for keeping your case files.

7. Look for conflicts of interest and do not put yourself in a conflict situation that wasn't or can't be waived.

8. Handle money with terrific care and in precise accord with the rules. ******* this up is how you get disbarred.

9. Make sure you do not rely on your client's version of the facts of his case or on his recollection of his criminal record.

10. Always talk to the cops who did the arrest. Be sure to tell them you think your client is an asshole.

11. Act like you know everything and everyone at all times.

PS I had a client go down for 6 years today on an assault! He actually drove to court and walked in the front door a free man. He left by the back door, wearing cuffs. My original guess was that his was a probation case. I did everything right. Judge got it wrong. What made it OK is that I was not late for my 2pm squash court reservation.

All very good advice... I kind of assumed Astan knew much of these "little" (yet incredibly important) things. I think numbers 2, 6, and 8 are probably the most important of that list, yet often overlooked, especially for a lawyer trying to go the independent route. I might also add that one should closely read their state's professional insurance laws. I believe some states mandate legal malpractice insurance, though I could be wrong (my state doesn't).

In any event, after doing death penalty appellate work, a lot of the low-level criminal stuff doesn't really excite me. I did that as a small source of income after I graduated without a job (despite being in the top 10% of my class, law review editor-in-chief, interning with a federal judge...
ffffuuuu.gif
) and moved back in with my parents to save money while I tried to make more connections and massage the ones I already had. I just took referrals from local solo practitioners who had their hands full, as well as hung around municipal court watching proceedings and meeting people. I did a few favors in family court, too, which was kind of interesting. Uncontested divorces, things like that.

Mblova

Reaction score
I am **** poor.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i am about to be **** poor when i graduate in may...
ffffuuuu.gif

tokyo, there should be some legal aid clinics in your area that could help you with your situation. they will only give you advice and no legal representation per se, but it is free, given your financial situation. the best are ones from area law schools. generally these clinics will write letters to creditors and such to have them stop harassing you. sometimes, they might even take up your case at a very low rate.

Astan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NakedYoga
All very good advice... I kind of assumed Astan knew much of these "little" (yet incredibly important) things. I think numbers 2, 6, and 8 are probably the most important of that list, yet often overlooked, especially for a lawyer trying to go the independent route. I might also add that one should closely read their state's professional insurance laws. I believe some states mandate legal malpractice insurance, though I could be wrong (my state doesn't).

In any event, after doing death penalty appellate work, a lot of the low-level criminal stuff doesn't really excite me. I did that as a small source of income after I graduated without a job (despite being in the top 10% of my class, law review editor-in-chief, interning with a federal judge...
ffffuuuu.gif
) and moved back in with my parents to save money while I tried to make more connections and massage the ones I already had. I just took referrals from local solo practitioners who had their hands full, as well as hung around municipal court watching proceedings and meeting people. I did a few favors in family court, too, which was kind of interesting. Uncontested divorces, things like that.

How does hanging out in courts to get clients not violate the general rules against soliciting clients? Is that just a CA thing?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CDFS
Son of a *****!

The worst of it was that she registered it in the hotel's name and when that went, so did the car.
ffffuuuu.gif

No wonder I don't trust women.
laugh.gif

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in a general sense i don't think i'm poor but in a styleforum context...i certainly am.

my net worth is less than $10,000. i DO have thousands saved up, but i am a poor student. i have a steady job that gets me about $15k a year, part time while i'm in school.

i splurge on luxury items such as raw denim and MTM shirts every now and again.

chroMe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
I wouldn't class myself as poor. I have three pairs of C&Js and 4 bespoken shirts. But now that my savings are gone after rent, council tax and bills I have a budget of £30 per week.

I had exams this week which resulted in an oyster expense of £20. I then spent £10 after my last exam in the pub. And had to buy bog roll etc. for the flat. Point is, I am now -£15 budget-wise and will have to spend another £20 getting to uni.

My last weekly food shop came in at £7.20. This food has to last a couple of weeks before I can buy more to clear the deficit.

At some point I'll have to buy books for uni. I don't have a bed, I sleep on a single mattress on the floor, I want to change this by somehow saving £10 each week from my budget.

This isn't Haiti-poor or even poor at all. But how poor are you? And what's the poorest you've ever been?

Discuss.

when i first arrived in the uk, 12.5years ago i had 500cdn dolllars and the exchange rate was killer. 200 quid. stayed in a hostel, made some friends, squatted in kennington, got 3 jobs, studied at night, and now in a way better position. helps have a loaded gf. lol

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did appearances for awhile for other attorneys while looking for jobs after law school.

Originally Posted by TGPlastic
If you entertain the idea of doing low level criminal work, you must do this stuff first so as not to ******* up:

1. Watch a few day's worth of local criminal dockets and learn the customary litanies (advisement of rights and so forth on the record) that you'll need to make.

2. Read the rules of pro res concerning when representation starts, ends, and what your duties are. How does representation work when grandma pays you to rep junior? Think really hard abut this ****.

3. Create a written fee agreement based on models you find in the law library. Get motherfuckers to sign it before you start lawyering.

4. Then get money up front. All of it.

5. Don't promise **** about the outcome of court ****.

6. Establish a good system for keeping your case files.

7. Look for conflicts of interest and do not put yourself in a conflict situation that wasn't or can't be waived.

8. Handle money with terrific care and in precise accord with the rules. ******* this up is how you get disbarred.

9. Make sure you do not rely on your client's version of the facts of his case or on his recollection of his criminal record.

10. Always talk to the cops who did the arrest. Be sure to tell them you think your client is an asshole.

11. Act like you know everything and everyone at all times.

PS I had a client go down for 6 years today on an assault! He actually drove to court and walked in the front door a free man. He left by the back door, wearing cuffs. My original guess was that his was a probation case. I did everything right. Judge got it wrong. What made it OK is that I was not late for my 2pm squash court reservation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads