• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

Brian SD

Reaction score
the 8gb is almost a deal breaker for me. I have my 40 gigs filled on my iPod and I have to delete an album every time I want to put one on. I dunno. I guess I could get used to recycling space a lot more but i really don't want to have to.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
the 8gb is almost a deal breaker for me. I have my 40 gigs filled on my iPod and I have to delete an album every time I want to put one on. I dunno. I guess I could get used to recycling space a lot more but i really don't want to have to.
For that price you could get a bigger capacity iPod (or equivalent media player) and a nicer less expensive phone though. Seriously. I think the expectation is that this is going to be a fringe player for those with enough money to burn, for those like you or I that need space it will not replace a dedicated mp3 player. My Toshiba has a 60 GB drive and I have 10 or so gb of space left when my photos, music and several films I have on it are factored in. Edit: On the other hand, I only use the media player on my Nokia (have a 2 GB MMCmobile card) when I am walking somewhere or doing something of the sort. In the car or on trips I use my Toshiba.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
For that price you could get a bigger capacity iPod (or equivalent media player) and a nicer less expensive phone though. Seriously. I think the expectation is that this is going to be a fringe player for those with enough money to burn, for those like you or I that need space it will not replace a dedicated mp3 player. My Toshiba has a 60 GB drive and I have 10 or so gb of space left when my photos, music and several films I have on it are factored in.

Edit:
On the other hand, I only use the media player on my Nokia (have a 2 GB MMCmobile card) when I am walking somewhere or doing something of the sort. In the car or on trips I use my Toshiba.

I think the idea around this convergence isn't as a fringe player, but more of an all-in-one device that is actively docked to some home base station frequently. The way Apple keeps adding media to their Library, I think it's safe to say that they expect their users to have many more than 8gigs of media at any given point in time. I guess, you dock it once a week or once a day, sync the latest music, movie trailers, movies, tv shows, music videos, pictures, etc on to your hand set whilst it charges, then grab it and go.

Personally, I have a 15gig iPod (I never bothered upgrading my old ass iPod, knowing there would be something worth upgrading to....) and a 200+ gig music collection. I don't really have a burning desire to view any video on a tiny iPod or iPhone screen, but the 8gig of music storage is really only half of what I have now. Plus, my phone is within 2 feet of a computer at least half of the day, so it shouldn't be that hard to sync or swap tunes.

That said, I hate iTunes, and, to echo an earlier post, Apple will likely lock this amazing piece of technology into their featureless, user-friendly software. Give me customization and an extensible feature set, and then I may buy one.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Interesting. The only phones I found with 5+ MP were the N95, a Samsung model (can't remember the name) and the LG KG-920. I believe there are some Sony Ericsson phones with Leica lenses and 80 MB of internal memory. Mine has a 1GB M2 card and can store about 350 pictures (@ 3.2 MP) They haven't come out with a Sony Ericsson phone in the same form factor as the K800 with higher res than 3 MP yet (and that is actually a sony digicam that functions as a phone also) but we'll see if they end up doing so soon. My friend went to HK a few months ago and didn't find much with better functionality there either. Maybe Korea is where its at.
Might I introduce you to the Samsung B600
samsung_sgh-b600.jpg
released in October in Asia - the worlds first 10 megapixel phone. It also has an OPTICAL zoom, which is extremely rare for a cameraphone. The problem with high megapixel phones, is that while the CCD can handle 10 megapixels (or 8, or 5, or 3, etc) The lenses and other optics are grossly inferior to most cameras of the same optical range due to the fact that the camera is sandwiched into a phone (or vice versa).

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Might I introduce you to the Samsung B600
samsung_sgh-b600.jpg

released in October in Asia - the worlds first 10 megapixel phone. It also has an OPTICAL zoom, which is extremely rare for a cameraphone.

The problem with high megapixel phones, is that while the CCD can handle 10 megapixels (or 8, or 5, or 3, etc) The lenses and other optics are grossly inferior to most cameras of the same optical range due to the fact that the camera is sandwiched into a phone (or vice versa).

Interesting, is that thing even for sale yet? I don't see it even on any of the overseas phone sites.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Interesting, is that thing even for sale yet? I don't see it even on any of the overseas phone sites.
Right now I believe that its only available through SK Telecom... but SOON (I.E. late this year)... Europe and then MAYBE the US.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Right now I believe that its only available through SK Telecom... but SOON... Europe and then MAYBE the US.

Well as long as it's available unlocked in Asia we can use it here, anyways.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I had a distinct feeling that Apple was blowing smoke up Cisco's pants the last couple weeks with the "negotiation".

Good for Cisco. It warms the cockles of my heart every time someone new sues Apple for their shady dealings.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tokyo Slim is the biggest Apple hater I've ever encountered
smile.gif
Anyway, about this phone. From what I've read, it does not offer anything other devices don't, but it certainly looks sweet.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
Tokyo Slim is the biggest Apple hater I've ever encountered
smile.gif

Anyway, about this phone. From what I've read, it does not offer anything other devices don't, but it certainly looks sweet.

bingo!!!

smile.gif

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was at cingular today, and the guy was telling me you can buy it without the plan for around probably an extra 50 bucks as with most of their new phones..

presidentofvice

Reaction score
It looks really cool, but it's just too damn big for my taste. imagine that thing in your pocket! not sure what's up with all the unwarranted apple hate on here though.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ghulkhan
i was at cingular today, and the guy was telling me you can buy it without the plan for around probably an extra 50 bucks as with most of their new phones..

First of all, the reps in the stores know nothing. They get their info from the same place we do, the internet. Secondly, this guy is just plain lying. High dollar phones come with a huge price differential sans contract. The price difference on my previous phone without contract: +$350. The price difference of my current phone without contract: +$350.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by presidentofvice
... not sure what's up with all the unwarranted apple hate on here though.

Oh, I have a warrant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads