• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone finally here, the Western Civilization is saved

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're all just haterzzz. Pissed that apple just made another killer app (I dont think they'll sell 10mm by years end) that will force other phone makers to toe the line with them.

Btw since its Cingular why couldnt it be hacked and made into an unlocked GSM phone?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
Note, I agree with you almost wholeheartedly - the one thing I'm noticing people say, however.. is the ability for this thing to be a smartphone. It does not excel in that regard; it successfully has integrated a number of "lifestyle product" genres but the one I think it'll be the best at is of course, media playback. I would have LOVED for this thing to become my goto device.. unfortunately, it's just not feasible for me as my e-mail is Exchange-based. brian, I am not suggesting that Apple targets business users specifically - I would like to think, however, that at the price point this thing is touted at (which is usually reserved for the smartphone crowd.. which generally is targeted at business users), it would be more capable in that regard. It would not have taken too much for them to throw a lite version of Thunderbird up there, or at least, given you the potential to do so. They've, in true Apple form, locked up the ability to utilize it outside of their propietary format/design/state and that seems almost like an injustice on a piece of machinery this beautifully designed.
I have yet to see any real evidence that this is a smartphone that can compete with Symbian/UIQ/Windows Mobile. We just have Job's Reality Distortion Field in full effect... "It's pretty - it does what I want (hence the world) - has the Apple logo - BUY IT NOW!" It is an overpriced lifestyle phone like kronik mentioned like the Razr, Rokr et.c. (which outside the USA are dinosaurs, btw).
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Is it a beautiful device for allowing people to take their eyes off the road while driving?
Excellent point actually. WIth no tactile feedback, that will be a serious issue. For instance, I have speed dial setup so that I can call say my wife by holding down a key on my Nokia 6630. I don't need to look at the screen - I can feel where the number is, then hit the loudspeaker button on the phone's side to talk hand's free while I am driving. No messing with bluetooth, looking at screens, nothing. What happens here? P.s. its real target are phones like those pretty expensive Nokia that cost more than a Series 60 or Series 80 smartphone yet are basic Series 40 devices.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
They're all just haterzzz. Pissed that apple just made another killer app (I dont think they'll sell 10mm by years end) that will force other phone makers to toe the line with them.

Btw since its Cingular why couldnt it be hacked and made into an unlocked GSM phone?

The only way that will happen with Apple being the control freaks they are would be if the provisions of the new laws against binding a phone to a service will go in to effect. But the price is with a new CIngular contract. So my guess is that Apple would price it a few hundred above the announced prices if they ever sell it sans plan.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Does this have any type of GPS?

I don't think so. But bluetooth GPS addons are cheap nowadays, anyway.

bryce330

Reaction score
Note, I agree with you almost wholeheartedly - the one thing I'm noticing people say, however.. is the ability for this thing to be a smartphone. It does not excel in that regard; it successfully has integrated a number of "lifestyle product" genres but the one I think it'll be the best at is of course, media playback. I would have LOVED for this thing to become my goto device.. unfortunately, it's just not feasible for me as my e-mail is Exchange-based.

It will be compatible with Exchange.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing with cell phones replacing cameras is more of a convenience issue and taking pictures spontaneously. I have two subcompact digitals and one digital SLR, and find myself not carrying them on a daily basis because I have my K800i with its 3.2MP camera. When camera phones get to the 5-6 MP range (which should be next year in Asia and the following year in the US) with a reasonably good feature set, most people won't carry regular digital cameras anymore unless they're specifically going to take pictures, at least IMO.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The thing with cell phones replacing cameras is more of a convenience issue and taking pictures spontaneously. I have two subcompact digitals and one digital SLR, and find myself not carrying them on a daily basis because I have my K800i with its 3.2MP camera. When camera phones get to the 5-6 MP range (which should be next year in Asia and the following year in the US) with a reasonably good feature set, most people won't carry regular digital cameras anymore unless they're specifically going to take pictures, at least IMO.
There are cameras out there already (in korea/Japan) with 10+ megapixels already (as of October). The 8+'s came two years ago... the 5-6's were close to three or four years ago. You got some catching up to do. The main problem with that is that the lens still sucks, and your phone can hold like three pictures in its internal memory before you have to go buy a 2gb SD card for your phone.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
There are cameras out there already (in korea/Japan) with 10+ megapixels already (as of October). The 8+'s came two years ago... the 5-6's were close to three or four years ago. You got some catching up to do. The main problem with that is that the lens still sucks, and your phone can hold like three pictures in its internal memory before you have to go buy a 2gb SD card for your phone.

Interesting. The only phones I found with 5+ MP were the N95, a Samsung model (can't remember the name) and the LG KG-920. I believe there are some Sony Ericsson phones with Leica lenses and 80 MB of internal memory. Mine has a 1GB M2 card and can store about 350 pictures (@ 3.2 MP) They haven't come out with a Sony Ericsson phone in the same form factor as the K800 with higher res than 3 MP yet (and that is actually a sony digicam that functions as a phone also) but we'll see if they end up doing so soon. My friend went to HK a few months ago and didn't find much with better functionality there either. Maybe Korea is where its at.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I met a dude who designs for Motorola who went to HK and showed me some really great Samsung and LG phones from across the pond. They were tiny and had 4 mp cameras in them...

I couldn't care less about having camera + phone, except to store people's faces in there so I can see who it is calling me.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
unfortunately, it's just not feasible for me as my e-mail is Exchange-based.

It supports IMAP, and Jobs specifically lists Exchange as a supported mail server during the intro.

--Andre

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I met a dude who designs for Motorola who went to HK and showed me some really great Samsung and LG phones from across the pond. They were tiny and had 4 mp cameras in them...

I couldn't care less about having camera + phone, except to store people's faces in there so I can see who it is calling me.

You know, I should start doing that
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads