• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In business school, could use advice.

bapelolol

Reaction score

However, US immigration policies are really messy at the moment and there is no solution in sight (immigration backlog for top talents will not be solved before illegal immigration gets tackled - so basically never).

Do you know if this is an issue for Canadians wanting to work in US for companies that sponsor?

Last edited:

dune

Reaction score

Just wondering as to why you want to leave Belgium so badly?

I'm in the U.S. and I'm not even sure if I want to stay here for the rest of my life, let alone after I finish up the program.

You have to do what's best for you and your future. I just spoke on what my 2 cents were.

Because I don't want to get stuck here? :p I'd rather try out different places while I'm still young and free to go where I want to without anything to bind me to one place. And I've always wanted to move to the US, at least for a while, so yeah.

Don't quote me on it, but I think that in general it is easier for Canadians to move to the US, though I don't know if that applies to your particular situation.

LeoPTY

Reaction score
Hello dune- Thought I'd post my $0.02 on the subject of consulting.

Now is the best time in your career to try to enter consulting. Finance and consulting are very popular choices for career switchers in business school, and firms hire MBAs by the boatload.

It looks like Vlerick is ranked respectably worldwide, but probably does not get on campus recruitment for McKinsey, Bain, BCG or the other big name consulting houses (please correct me if I am wrong). Your school name will not be detrimental to getting hired, but recruiters will not be knocking on your door either.

If you want to get hired full time, it is key to score a consulting internship for summer 2012. The biggest obstacle to getting hired would be your lack of work experience. You would have to showcase your leadership abilities and initiative in other activities.

Network with alumni and make sure that you have a concise, logical story as to why you want to be in consulting. I hope this helps!

dune

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, appreciate it :) McKinsey and BCG do have recruitment events on campus, along with some other fairly big names like Deloitte, but we don't get Bain.

Talked to a principal from A.T. Kearney today, and according to him, with my profile, they would probably go right for a job, without an internship first. Most firms who come to us for recruitment look for both MBAs for functions that require experience, and Masters students like me for more junior positions that don't really require experience, so that should help I hope.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too would suggest getting some work experience. In the US, many MBA students work internships as they study for their MBAs.

And at the top consulting firms, you can transfer to international offices after 2 years or so if you are a top performer. Unfortunately, you would have to be a very good consultant to be a top performer at one of those top firms.

dune

Reaction score
Trust me, if I was doing an MBA program, I would. But the one I am doing right now is a full-time Masters program, which simply doesn't leave me any time to get serious work experience.

About the international stuff: the impression I get is that it depends partly on the particular company. The guy from A.T. Kearney gave me the impression that while it isn't guaranteed, it certainly is a possibility, a strong contrast to the impression I got from Deloitte.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two entry options at BCG, McK, etc.:

Out of Bachelor/Master program -> you start at the lowest career stage (called associate at BCG, analyst at McK)
Out of an MBA program or PhD/JD/MD program -> you start at the next higher stage (consultant at BCG, associate at McK

Work experience is only expected for those coming out of MBA programs. Else academic performance, extracurricular activities/leadership, scholarships/awards, international experience are the things they look out for. If you have been hired at the lowest level and performed well they will finance you an MBA (in some country also optionally a doctorate) and afterwards you return for at least two more years.

P.S.: I know enough people who changed offices after their first year. Just a matter of performance. Also you can always try to get staffed in other countries - which is usually not an issue (assuming you have the required language skills)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads