• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you do not own the following things, you are not well dressed

emptym

Reaction score

I have everything on the list but the DB, which feels costumey on me. Maybe in a few decades.

Same here, except that I wore DB's a couple decades ago. Oh, and I gave away my gray worsted a couple years ago. Will get a replacement soon.

In fact, I think I owned everything on the list before joining SF (knits, not grenadines. Still not a big fan of those.) But SF has helped me to make better upgrades than I would have in the past few years, particularly in their fit.

They do exist in DC, but I'm in academia, so it's not really within my circle. If I were a politician or a lawyer I might have more occasions.

I went to college in DC in the early 90's and wore them 2-3 times a year. But I almost rarely wear one now, maybe once every other year.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold Don't have one for the cold, just a standard issue navy blazer.
-mid gray flannel pants The mid grays are a lighter fabric, my gray flannels are a lighter charcoal
-decent, non-chino khakis Well, I have decent khakis, but you'd probably classify them as chinos. Your problem, not mine.
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket Four. And I need a blue one too.
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit Both mid and gray are covered
-a navy worsted single breasted suit Doh.
-a white FC shirt Keeping an eye out for one I like. I have other white shirts though, and other FC options.
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD What's life without blue shirts? Oxfords to fairly formal french cuff/Spread collar shirts...
-black stitch caps I've got something close enough. This could be reworded to "formally styled black oxford"
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) A few pairs. Bluchers too- brown or burgundy longwings should be on this list.
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell Burgundy calf, black calf, and dark brown suede. All unlined pennys.
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine Nope. I don't wear solid ties.
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine See above. Maybe I should have one or two just to tone down the rare loud jacket and shirt combo, but I usually just change out the shirt.
-a plain white linen hanky Cotton. But I leave 'em in my jackets with a TV fold as the default and change them out when I want to do something unusual.
For the "more advanced" players:
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) Nope.
-at least one linen suit Jackets only. But I have three (well, one's a linen/silk blend)
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes Yup.
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check Nope.
-at least one wool or cashmere tie Five, I think, excluding wool/silk blends
-at least one linen or linen blend tie Just one.
If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes No.
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel Yes, but I wear my mid gray one far more frequently than the camel.

I'd add:
- a pair of brown full brogues; Absolutely.
- dark red and navy ties with tasteful spots (I think Manton dislikes them, but they are a staple item); Manton's crazy. A staple for sure.
- a pair of inoffensive dark jeans; Check.
- one patterned, coloured, silk pocket square. One?

Decent lists, but not all are absolute staples, some are easily skipped with variations in personal tastes.

Renton

Reaction score

You forgot "Office pants."
I think your list is also somewhat slanted toward people who live in the NE. For example, in some parts of the south, a tweed jacket is a tough sell. I propose a tweed exemption for people living below the Mason Dixon line. In exchange, these people should be required to purchase a bow tie instead.

Giving up tweed for bow ties? No thanks

The logic here is simple. Nobody can be well dressed in the south! :teach: :)

:plain:

SuitMyself

Reaction score
I guess that means I am VERY well-dressed! :slayer:

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-decent, non-chino khakis
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit
-a navy worsted single breasted suit
-a white FC shirt
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD
-black stitch caps
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you)
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine
-a plain white linen hanky

-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check
-at least one wool or cashmere tie
-at least one linen or linen blend tie
If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold
-mid gray flannel pants
-a white FC shirt
-black stitch caps
-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both)
-at least one linen suit
If necessary

BOOM

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Completely agree with the inclusion of black tie. Surely most people have some occasions every year that call for it?

I would also propose that we add:
1. A summer-weight sport coat (not navy blazer) - e.g., a plain linen, a lightweight wool gunclub
2. A raincoat / mac
3. A solid-stick umbrella

A morning suit would be a requisite for those of us living in the UK

R-O-T

wumingde

Reaction score

-mid gray flannel pants
-a white FC shirt
-black stitch caps
-at least one linen suit
If necessary

Dang. This means I am not well dressed at all. :)

sartorialnoob

Reaction score
-mid gray flannel pants
-a white FC shirt
-black stitch caps
-at least one linen suit
If necessary
Forgive my ignorance, but would someone help with the abbreviations? I understand DB for suits, but what are FC and BC shirts? I guess BD is button down but I'm not sure if you mean a button down front or collar. I suppose that will be clear when I figure out FC and BC.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Forgive my ignorance, but would someone help with the abbreviations? I understand DB for suits, but what are FC and BC shirts? I guess BD is button down but I'm not sure if you mean a button down front or collar.  I suppose that will be clear when I figure out FC and BC.

french cuff, barrel cuff

sartorialnoob

Reaction score
-a blue odd jacket. If you live in a two-season climate, then two, one for warmth and one for the cold - Only one
-mid gray flannel pants - only one pair, all others are wool
-decent, non-chino khakis - not sure if they fit, but I have several pairs of khaki, tan, light brown pants for the office. A couple are more casual but no chinos
-at least one funky (but tasteful!) non-blue tweed jacket - two - dark green/brown and grey. Love them both
-a mid to dark gray worsted single-breasted suit - too many. Three light to mid grey, three charcoal to near black
-a navy worsted single breasted suit - finally got one this year
-a white FC shirt - I've never owned one, but obviously should for certain occasions.
-several blue BC shirts, at least one BD - several in various shades
-black stitch caps - just got some
-some tasteful brown oxfords (exact configuration up to you) - burgundy and walnut so far. I'm looking for a nice wingtip blucher in dark brown.
-loafers in medium brown calf, suede or shell or else burg shell - no and I've never cared for loafers.
-a solid black tie, knit or grenadine - no. My "funeral tie" has a very subtle pattern to it.
-a solid navy tie, knit or grenadine - no, though I should have one
-a plain white linen hanky - no, but I never see pocket squares in the wild where I work. I should get one for travel though.
10/14

-at least one DB suit, navy worsted or medium gray flannel (the best dressers will have both) - DB in charcoal herring bone, but not medium grey or navy. I do have a brown flannel that may or may not be SF approved, but I like it.
-at least one linen suit - no. Perhaps a seersucker when I'm older and more eccentric
-at least one pair of brown suede shoes - I've never been a suede guy
-at least one formal tie, e.g., a B&W shepherd's check - well, I do have a black formal bow tie that I bought so rented tuxes would be so obviously "rented."
-at least one wool or cashmere tie - no
-at least one linen or linen blend tie - no
If necessary
-A complete, well-fitting, correct black tie rig, including shoes - no
-An overcoat in navy, charcoal or camel - SB full length in charcoal microfiber. I'd probably prefer it to be 3/4.

LeviMay

Reaction score
The list is good. The list is life.

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

-mid gray flannel pants

I'd have given you a thumbs-up had you not forgotten the Cape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads