• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't you guys have a plain old diner out there? Or a simple burger joint?

Yes. I have no idea why people are having trouble. Al's on San Pablo does nicely.

Last edited:

Big Bird

Reaction score
Thanks for the all the suggestions. Besides the comments in this thread I have received some helpful private messages (thanks RSS and Jay).

I have also received some fucked up emails suggesting that San Francisco only consists of Asians* and homosexuals*. Why take time to send **** like that?

*Not the words used.

Short update. I am flying out to SF next week to negotiate my personal terms and to meet the team that I would be working with. My wife joins me next weekend and we will try to get a feel for the city. We plan to use one day to “scout” the East Bay, since I really like what I have heard so far.

However I am not the only one in the family that have been researching this and my wife (and her online friends) seems to think that it would stupid to move to San Francisco and not get the full SF experience. Don’t really know what that means. She has already found some “adorable” Victorian houses in Pacific Heights that she wants to look at. Not my style and certainly not within the budget, but what do I know.

We will be staying by Union Square and would be happy for restaurant suggestions. Would love to go to a classic diner or great local greasy spoon. Please no Café Gratitude like places.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Listen to wife. But if you are going over the bay also take a look at Marin.

There are no decent diners in SF. Maybe Mel's - order the Oregon Boysenberry.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
BB, something to consider if you move across the bay - cannon fire.

Quote:
lefty

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
are there no dennys in San Francisco? are there no chain coffee shops? oh, humanity!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

are there no dennys in San Francisco? are there no chain coffee shops? oh, humanity!

Of course there are, but yuck!

Dennys, Mel's, Johnny Rockets, Toast, etc, they all use the same nasty premixed egg glop to make their omelets and scrambles. My first rule is that they have to actually crack eggs, not pour them out of a carton.

Near Union Square my favorite breakfast place is Dottie's True Blue Cafe, but it's a little too popular for its own good, and the wait can reach 2 hours on weekends. Best to go on a weekday either as they open or for a late lunch. Sears Fine Food is an Old San Francisco Stalwart, but at best it's decent, IMO. Lori's Diner is pretty awful.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was teasing them about their horror at thick bacon. bottom line is, they want to go to nice places but they want to eat crappy bacon there.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i was teasing them about their horror at thick bacon. bottom line is, they want to go to nice places but they want to eat crappy bacon there.

Thick and thin both have their places, but it is annoying, at least for cooking, that thin bacon is not available outside of Safeway.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thick and thin both have their places, but it is annoying, at least for cooking, that thin bacon is not available outside of Safeway.

which, as we all know, is crowded with postal workers.

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that you don't own a rotating deli slicer.

Last edited:

mgm9128

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as bacon, I usually buy it in slabs. That way I can cut it to my desired thickness/thinness. But getting it paper thin is difficult without a proper slicer.

Last edited:

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Listen to wife. But if you are going over the bay also take a look at Marin.

There are no decent diners in SF. Maybe Mel's - order the Oregon Boysenberry.

lefty

All the good diners are in the East Bay.

Seriously though, what is the "SF experience" anyway. I've got some thoughts on this but it seems that one way that people set themselves up for disappointment is to expect SF to be something it just is not and cannot ever be.
In Lefty's case, he wants NY but got SF. Disappointment is inevitable.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure why anyone in the Bay Area would make an effort to seek out a diner. Most East and West Coast diners were never that good anyway. (although there may have been one or two somewhere). If you want a good breakfast/lunch/brunch food try a place like this on your way to the Alameda Flea Market or to occupying Oakland. http://brownsugarkitchen.com/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads