• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I know nothing.

quinlan

Reaction score
So I've been on this forum all day and I realize that I know nothing. Haha and I'm ok with that everyone has to start somewhere right?

I used to think I had a fairly decent sense of style but something happened, I went away to school and after a few years of rolling out of bed and throwing on whatever I could find its like I lost the ability to dress.

I mean its not like I was great at it to begin with but I didn't feel as clueless as I do now.

Who I am:
I am a 22 year old (young) man. I live in a small Indiana community I have a decent job and on top of that I coach cheerleading at my local high school. Yes I am a 22 year old man that coaches high school cheerleading in a small town. Yes people do find it odd. And thats a big reason I'm here.

I have, what has tuned out to be, a fairly high profile gig. Its not like I coach football but I'm at all the games. If the guys or girls need something they talk to either me or the other coach, and I suppose if I were a parent and a 16 year old girl in a mini skirt were talking to a 22 year old college grad I might have a few questions about the 22 year old. Which I completely understand. Adding to the questions, I am single and I am straight. What they may not know is that I cheered in high school and college and I had a great time doing it. Their daughters are nothing I haven't been around before and the relationships are always completely platonic. So with these questions being asked its important for me to be as professional in public as I can be.

With that being said, I need to dress better. I'm currently wearing clothes that I have been collecting over the past seven or so years, high school was a good time but those times are over and I need to dress like a professional adult.

And there is where I need help.

I dont need a bunch of great tailored suits or super expensive clothes, I am willing to spend a lot on my appearance but I dont feel I need to own a $400 shirt. I need to have a conservative-classic-casual look(some sort of polo/ nice jean look?).

And thats where I get stuck. I know what I want, sort of. And I'll see a guy wearing something that looks great and I think that it will look great on me also... and I am almost always wrong. I dont know what I'm doing. IDK how the SF community feels about "What Not to Wear" but I've watched those and I absolutely love what the guy wears but there is no way I'll look like that in his clothes. Not a chance.

I'm 6'3" tall, and I'm a massive individual. I have a wide bone structure and on top of that it wouldn't hurt me to lose about 40 lbs of fat. That being said I'm not exactly built like Peter Griffin. I do lift weights with the main goal of getting stronger. In all honesty I have very little desire to slim down, I enjoy being strong and if I decide to cut down I will lose strength. I've tried it and I'd rather be bigger and strong.

I digress, I am a large man. Skinny jeans hahahahaha right. Boot cut jeans that fit my waist wont get over my thighs, at least every pair I've tried on. (squat is my favorite lift
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
) And polos seem to fall awkwardly on my... well gut.

So what should I do? Any body want to help a guy out.

some pictures....
l_fad8261f5c9c453ea67ac864afdec9aa.jpg

She is not a "small" girl and I swallow her here. she isn't large either in fact she is as close to the perfect girl (physically) I have ever seen in person.

l_e08f9019000e4debb18ef207f25cbb06.jpg

I miss these days...

l_72f57e34ec19404ab784350141f7a486.jpg

Please dont mind the shoes haha
l_4e9d4727029943a9803aa9357ad3a101.jpg

These next couple show how shirts tend to fall on me. I feel like polo's do the same thing and I'm afraid this is how I look the majority of the time I have them on... Would layering somehow fix this? Because a white t-shirt underneath hasn't helped at all ha.

l_ea7f12239c664f81ae316351a8ec72cc.jpg

l_ebb087a08f8a4d89b02695cdd50fe9d7.jpg

So what should I do? What look/ cuts of clothing should I go with? Someone please help me, I've looked all over here and I'm still clueless. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

plotter

Reaction score
You should go with the things you like to wear, no one should tell you what to dress. But the things that this forum care about alot are quality, and fit. You can start with proper shirting from CEGO or Turnbull, shoes from brands like AE as a good start and then you'll eventually move up to Vass, like I have. You can start with a good navy or grey suit. You should also learn your sizes in suits, lengths, shirts, necksizes, shoes, shoe widths. It starts with finding out what you like and how to improve upon it. Not with spending alot of cash.
smile.gif

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hunterstep-jpeg.jpg
This guy also used to be a cheerleader. If I were you, I'd wear everything he is wearing minus the suit jacket, the tie, the pocket square and the shades. See that shirt in the first photo, why can't you tuck that in and pair it with a pair of khakis? I think that's as professional as you need right? Long sleeve with khakis? Just iron it more and button it all the way to the penultimate button. Wow, I just used "penultimate" in a real sentence.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big Punisher
Powell.jpg

Epic.

Allright, you did write alot of **** there man, but I got the jist in those 2 sentances in the middle.

Well, a good place to start is to donate all that **** you know is crap and dont look good in to goodwill.

Once that is done, you have eliminated the temptation.

Next place to go is over to that hottie chearleaders house for a good 'rooting.

After that, hit the stores. DONT TAKE HER WITH YOU. RULE 1... DONT SHOP WITH HENS, they peck> and peck> and >.

I sense an hour at Brooks Brothers may help you with some very basics. You could probably use a decent shoe. Visit the shoe Appreciation thread for guidance.

Got a nice blazer you can dress down? That will do alot. If not, get one. Brooks Brothers, Hickey Freeman, they will probably support your build.

I'm starting to write alot of ****... let the others chime in.

CorneliusP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
hunterstep-jpeg.jpg

This guy also used to be a cheerleader. If I were you, I'd wear everything he is wearing minus the suit jacket, the tie, the pocket square and the shades.

See that shirt in the first photo, why can't you tuck that in and pair it with a pair of khakis? I think that's as professional as you need right? Long sleeve with khakis? Just iron it more and button it all the way to the penultimate button. Wow, I just used "penultimate" in a real sentence.

Is there a new Will Farrel movie coming out or something

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really don't have much advice but I can say that I appreciate the addition of cheerleaders to Celtics games.

cheerleaders.jpg

- B

quinlan

Reaction score
Thanks for the response guys, Idfnl I'll look into those stores and take your advice, seriously it helps a lot.

and sonlegoman I've tried to tuck that one in, its just not long enough.

And CorneliusP its eastbound and down its on HBO and while I haven't been able to see it myself I've heard good things.

cwh812

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CorneliusP
Is there a new Will Farrel movie coming out or something

No, that is from Eastbound and Down - the new show on HBO. Will Farrell is a producer.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Well, first off, take it slow... Read around this site for a long long time - there are plenty of thread with lots of advice for guys in similar positions to you. Learn, and slowly start dropping out terrible items from your wardrobe. Then, start adding new things. It will take a while to figure out what YOU do and don't like and what you're willing to pay. It's not all about dropping loads of cash immedietly. I'm sorry to say it, but, your physeke (sp?) does make this a bit harder, it just means taht you've got to be more educated about waht will/won't work for you. Please, just look around and read a lot and start spending time in stores trying things on to see how they look and feel. Beter to have a few items taht make you look "wow" and you love then a bunch of stuff you're not really comfortable with. Start by not buying anything you don't love. Be willing to make mistakes and move on. Drop some of your really bad stuff out of rotation. Start with some of these... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107388 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=106780 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=108588 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=107380 also read the WAYW thread and all the suit critique threads. Don't forget the streetwear side of things. Nice jeans and a sportscoat will probably blend in better with your crowd... Hope that's a start

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I really don't have much advice but I can say that I appreciate the addition of cheerleaders to Celtics games.

cheerleaders.jpg

That can be said for places across the country my friend.

139465.jpg

Dont know what the hell team THAT is but sign me up for season tix

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you are looking for clothes that will make your gut disappear. I don't think these exist, although a properly fitting sports jacket might help camoflage it.

quinlan

Reaction score
Master-Claster thanks so much man. That really got me sent in the right direction. I'm learning I think. haha

I was thinking of going with a couple of the clark fit chinos from Brooks Bros. I checked out HF and they were slightly out of my budget for now, that and the closest store to me was in Chicago, and thats kind of a long haul. Maybe the next time I'm up that way, but that might be a while.
I think I'm going to pick up a cashmere sweater as the ones on BB are %50 off, sure its getting ready to get warm but I'll enjoy it around november and $174 as I'm coming to understand is a pretty decent deal.
I plan on getting a few dress shirts there as well.

I like the idea of building from the ground up. Although I have yet to look at the shoe Appreciation thread so I dont have much direction there as of yet.

As far as casual goes, I'm still a bit lost. Its about to get warm. and by warm I mean hot. And by hot I mean I sweat when I complete simple tasks such as breathing. So since having all of my sweat glands removed is impossible what should I do? I dont plan on spending hours upon hours outside but seriously things randomly pop up so I never know exactly when I'm going to have to spot some tumbling or go on a picnic date.... ok I haven't actually done that but if an attractive girl wanted to its not like I would say no.
I was thinking of getting some nicer chino shorts and rolling the sleeves on my shirts. BB's had a pretty cool look with a sport coat, button up, and chinos so we'll see how I look in something like that. Anybody think that idea sucks? haha

As for the night time there are always Jeans. And after reading through a few threads I think that the levi 501 STF would be a good place to start. I think because I have the issue with my legs that I do if i got them to fit and shrink to my thighs then i could simply have the waist tailored to fit. I was thinking of soaking in them just so they dont shrink too much. I found a guy that had a similar lower body build as me and he was doing the same and he seemed happy with his.

I liked the idea of them fitting to me sort of, do you think that I would be happier with a higher quality pair? I just know alot of people seemed to like them.

Thanks for everyones answers its really helped out a lot. and idfnl, move to tampa, you might get lucky.

quinlan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
It sounds like you are looking for clothes that will make your gut disappear. I don't think these exist, although a properly fitting sports jacket might help camoflage it.

Oh no I hold no illusions about that. I know nothing is going to make me look 'thin' if i wanted that look I would stop eating as much, quit lifting weights and run ten miles a day. So I realize nothings going to change that, nor would I want to. I'm comfortable with how I look physically, I'm no model but girls dont seem to hate me.
So I'm not looking to make it disappear with clothes, but you can make a honda civic as fast as a corvette with a lot of work, I'm hoping to be a suped up honda civic. Now I just gotta do the work of trying things on, and figuring out what looks good on me. I think a great pair of shoes=a turbo charger, no?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads