• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creased placket on OCBDs

multiccy-csa

Reaction score
Greetings all,
A minor irritation that has plagued me for years. I like a ruffled OCBD and generally don't mind it coming out of the dryer a little crumpled, but how does one stop this sharp fold that sometimes appears right the way down the placket?
It doesn't look good and is very difficult to iron out.
I know a potential solution is to take them out of the machine damp and then iron them flat while still damp but i just don't have the time. And perhaps that's where i fall down here. But i don't see this problem in the wild and wonder whether my washer dryer is too aggressive? I wash at 30C but am not sure i can set the dryer temperature...suspect it's super-hot, hence somewhat negating the low wash temperature?
Do mesh washing bags serve any purpose?
Thank you all for any thoughts/suggestions.

Screenshot_20240304_150858_Photos.jpg

jeremygo

Reaction score
Are you steaming/ironing your shirts? If not, that's the solution unfortunately. I wash cold, hang dry, and steam quickly with a handheld steamer (maybe spending 1 minute per shirt). That works for me. If an oxford really looks rumpled I'll iron, but only once in a blue moon. Normally I only iron my "dress" shirts.

TimothyF

Reaction score
A lot depends on the thickness and weight of the fabric, as well as the construction and lining inside the placket. However, is your washer spinning the shirt too hard? I suggest you to use the lowest spin setting.

I'm personally against excessive spin in washing machines (and some are worse than others). I think they wear out clothes faster, put in creases that are hard to recover from, and for denim create those unsightly fade lines

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads