• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have a jean...(The Ultimate Jean Thread For Beginners) - ask questions here.

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
Don't you know that back in the 1890s NOBODY ever washed their pants?

Ever

It was a filthy place
If I ever take up panhandling or working in a coal mine i'll let you know. I guess I have a hang up about festering in my own filth so that I can achieve epic fades Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Americanaaa

Reaction score
Is this an appropriate way to store raw unworn denim jeans? I have some pairs I wont be breaking in for a while and don't want creases or wrinkles imprinting into the fabric.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

what a load of hogwash. only a denim purist would state that jeans should never be washed. if you ask any of the founders of companies like 3sixteen, Rogue Territory or whoever they'll state that you should wash your jeans like any other pair, unless they're unsanforized which is another story altogether. Crotch blowouts and wear/tear happen with denim when they're not washed. Starch, dirt and filth are extremely abrasive and is what causes holes. I have about 15 pairs of raw denim and have soaked/washed virtually all of them.

Not that I'm a no-wash fetishist, but I'm pretty sure "wear/tear" happens with both washed and unwashed denim. I've had dirt cause holes in my jeans, but usually when a bunch of dirt and rocks was suddenly thrust upon my jeans by gravity, like when I crashed a bike. I can attest that those pointy bits of wire at the top of a chain link fence can also cause holes in washed denim.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do guys size Strider vs Stanton?

I'm 33 in Stanton (waist is too big though). I can also wear a 32 but it's quite snug although waist is still a bit big- 32 looks ok but is too constricted in the top block.

Here's a pic of my 32 Stantons:

Jaytag

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Jay.
I will be buying my first raw selvedge Japanese Denim jeans from Japan.
I need some advice from more experienced denim heads.
I am looking for a mid rise, slim straight cut. Similar to Levi's 513, which I wear in size 32/32. Here are the measurements for my Levi's 513s 98%cotton, 2% elastane. 33 waist, 11 rise, 15 1/4 back rise, 11 1/2 upper thigh (measured 1' down from crotch), 8 1/2 knee (13' down from crotch), 7 3/4 leg opening.
Weight between 14oz and 19oz.
Haven't decided yet on sanforized or unsanforized.
I will buy direct from Japan through Rakuten.
My budget is $350 for the jeans not including shipping.
I'm looking at brands like momotaro, pure blue Japan, samurai, oni, iron heart, flat head.
Samurai seems to have some cuts that I like. I also like pure blue Japan, and the fades on flat head jeans.
Should I go for sanforized, so there's less of a risk in too much shrinkage? Or should I go for unsanforized shrink to fit and if I get it right I get a better fitting jeans??

mcl116

Reaction score
I'm looking to get at least 2 new pairs of jeans, maybe 3.

I'm thinking one dark pair, one black pair, maybe a selvedge pair.

I'm looking for a skinny fit as I like a very fitted clean look.

I've looked around/read some articles but I'm having a tough time figuring out what brands to go to.

I'm looking to spend up to $250 per pair.

Would really appreciate some suggestions

Thanks

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There should be no reason to dry your denim if you never wet them.  That should be the one rule about raw demin.  Never wet or soak them!  Check out the proper way to break them in.

Jesus, you couldn't possibly know any less about what your talking about. 1. Whoever came up with the 6 month rule (I blame APC, is ******* marsupialed. 2. Your crotch blow out a lot? Your seams loosen? Denim stretch out? Or just the bacteria you can't see eating away at your denim constantly? If you know how denim works, that means you know how cotton works, which would mean that you would know a soak every 3 months or so isn't just recommended, its the best possible way to elongate the life of your jeans. If you never soak them the grime build up on the surface is going to totally **** up you getting those "Sick Fadezzz Braaa" cuz your not gonna loose indigo at points of wear or stress. Also as you hopefully know, when cotton is exposed to hot water, it contracts in size, this is something that should be done to your denim every three months or so, so you tight up the cotton weave and don't risk blow outs or wear throughs.

If your not soaking cuz ur afraid of loosing indigo either stop wearing Gap selvedge and spitting horrifically incorrect knowledge, or actually learn about the fabric and get some decent jeans that won't bleed in your tub....Jesus Christ....glad I saw this post and got reminded why I stopped peeping this thread over a year ago. Thanks.

Last edited:

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking to get at least 2 new pairs of jeans, maybe 3.

I'm thinking one dark pair, one black pair, maybe a selvedge pair.

I'm looking for a skinny fit as I like a very fitted clean look.

I've looked around/read some articles but I'm having a tough time figuring out what brands to go to.

I'm looking to spend up to $250 per pair.

Would really appreciate some suggestions

Thanks

APC -- clean, in your price range, and Petit Standard or Petit New Standard can be worn as tight as you can stand. Most (but not all) versions are selvedge, some have stretch etc.

I'd avoid Japanese heritage brands -- most are straight leg (though Somet is a notable exception.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

Jesus, you couldn't possibly know any less about what your talking about. 1. Whoever came up with the 6 month rule (I blame APC, is ******* marsupialed. 2. Your crotch blow out a lot? Your seams loosen? Denim stretch out? Or just the bacteria you can't see eating away at your denim constantly? If you know how denim works, that means you know how cotton works, which would mean that you would know a soak every 3 months or so isn't just recommended, its the best possible way to elongate the life of your jeans. If you never soak them the grime build up on the surface is going to totally **** up you getting those "Sick Fadezzz Braaa" cuz your not gonna loose indigo at points of wear or stress. Also as you hopefully know, when cotton is exposed to hot water, it contracts in size, this is something that should be done to your denim every three months or so, so you tight up the cotton weave and don't risk blow outs or wear throughs.

If your not soaking cuz ur afraid of loosing indigo either stop wearing Gap selvedge and spitting horrifically incorrect knowledge, or actually learn about the fabric and get some decent jeans that won't bleed in your tub....Jesus Christ....glad I saw this post and got reminded why I stopped peeping this thread over a year ago. Thanks.

Indigo loss upon soaking isn't really something endemic to "Gap selvedge" that "decent jeans" are immune from.

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of jeans which after washing just one time displays odd vertical stripes. Does anyone know what causes this and if these can be removed?

Last edited:

LGHT

Reaction score
The only time I've had that line with jeans is when it sat folded for a long period of time before buying. You could see it very faintly, but it was a lot more apparent after washing especially on lighter colored jeans. I don't think you can "undo" it as it was a result of the fabric being faded by the fold in that area.

LGHT

Reaction score
Anyone ever "slimmed" down some of the older style jeans like True Religion or Rock and Revival at a tailor? I have about 10-15 pair of jeans that I wore a lot more a years ago, but they are all loose / baggy fit and was considering on getting them slimmed at the tailor, but not sure if they would ruin the look or not.

northnick

Reaction score
I wanted to see about switching it up from my chukkas and boots to hi tops / sneakers for when I work

I don't like the idea of a blue fade on them

any ideas? no common projects I need it under $200. I work part time and I spend most of my money on bills and groceries.

the addidas xr1s and anything similar. idk

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted to see about switching it up from my chukkas and boots to hi tops / sneakers for when I work

I don't like the idea of a blue fade on them

any ideas? no common projects I need it under $200. I work part time and I spend most of my money on bills and groceries.

the addidas xr1s and anything similar. idk

I love my epaulet mids and lows (really similar look to common projects) but looks like no stock on their site. You could email them to seen when they'll be back.

I also like the high top converse look with denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads