• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a sharpening stone

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am using this for the second time today -

Ah ha, Poison was a metal band and not a quartet of unattractive transsexuals. Thanks to Google I now know this.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i meant putting the edge back on. if they were good knives to start, they'll sharpen up nicely, eventually. if they weren't good knives, they'll sharpen up some but maybe not worth the effort.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing up, fg. The knives are the Zwilling's I mentioned in the other thread. I don't know anything about the steel quality, but they feel good in my hands.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Ah ha, Poison was a metal band and not a quartet of unattractive transsexuals. Thanks to Google I now know this.

I don't know why any band ever bothers with playing 'metal'. Their only hits are ballads, anyway.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe have an edge put on professionally, then maintain it with your 1000/3000 stone. I think it would be tough to restore an edge with that stone.

I think one would be tempted to cheat, creating a convex edge.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second session. While Miles Davis is great of course, what I really needed was... strings!

anAWGq2.jpg

After half an hour of donkey work – yes!

rejWLkX.jpg

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Couldn't have done it without the clamp. And your (plural) tips, of course! :)

This was a joy to do, again:

C9wFW7y.jpg

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it always is kind of amazing the difference a sharp knife makes. if you don't keep after them, they go dull so slowly you don't really recognize it. then you give it a nice treatment and "thwack thwack thwack" turns into "snick snick snick"

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mine were shamefully dull :).

I haven't done much cooking in the last five years or so, but I'm getting interested in it again. And tools are important. (And it's reeeaaalllly cool to be able to sharpen your own knives.)

And my sweet daughter ate generous (well for her) amounts of paprika, carrots and cucumber tonight, because of my cutting (-> small French fries).

What kind of cutting boards do you prefer, fg? I used to have a wood one, but I got lazy and started using plastic boards.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And my sweet daughter ate generous (well for her) amounts of paprika, carrots and cucumber tonight, because of my cutting (-> small French fries)

:fistbump: for feeding the kid. but what an interesting combination. how did you prepare?

What kind of cutting boards do you prefer, fg? I used to have a wood one, but I got lazy and started using plastic boards.
i've used them all. i like the thick plastic ones just fine, as long as they're soft (the hard plastic is like fingernails on chalkboard to me when i'm cutting on them). but i use all wood now because i've got an old cozy kitchen and it just seems to fit better contextually (this is styleforum, right?).

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:fistbump: for feeding the kid. but what an interesting combination. how did you prepare?

:) I know what you mean. I didn't prepare, just raw. She was watching videos on the iPad and I just kept passing her small bowls with cut veggies.

i've used them all. i like the thick plastic ones just fine, as long as they're soft (the hard plastic is like fingernails on chalkboard to me when i'm cutting on them). but i use all wood now because i've got an old cozy kitchen and it just seems to fit better contextually (this is styleforum, right?).

(Right!) I think mine are relatively soft, but wood just looks and feels nicer. I saw some rubber wood boards:

w97DbYC.jpg

Have you ever used one of those?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw some rubber wood boards:

w97DbYC.jpg

Have you ever used one of those?

that's so funny. that looks almost exactly like the wooden boards i use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads