• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I am going to WW Chan in HK tomorrow

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was the Four Season. Personally, I like it better than the Tasmanian, even though it is more "ordinary" than the Tasmanian (you have to admit that straight from the bolt the Tasmanian is one of the softest 120s out there).

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they had the LP Four Seasons Super 120s on special in November.  This time around I opted for a fabric other than the Clayton because I was worried about its durability.  Based on the recent posts about wools, that may have been unnecessary.

dan
What did you get instead?

I ordered two staple suits (2B, SB, navy and gray) and wanted the most durable cloth I could get. I sat there going back and forth with the Holland & Sherry 120s (130s?) and the Clayton swatch books, and ultimately went with the Clayton 150s. Only time will tell if that was the right choice, but the Clayton didn't feel like a weakling next to the lower count cloth. It's actually 10 grams heavier than the VBC Revenge 130s, and felt a bit more substantial to me.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Clayton cloth felt strong and substantial for a "150s" cloth. How much was the H & S book?

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Clayton cloth felt strong and substantial for a "150s" cloth.  How much was the H & S book?
I think it was $1050. It was under $1100 but still more than the Clayton. When I started looking at the H&S, Patrick mentioned that he could do Zegna for $1200 or so, and that's when the visions of dancing dollar signs started to push back . . .

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the extra money for Zegna cloth would be better spent on extra pairs of pants, or even shirts.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, they had the LP Four Seasons Super 120s on special in November. Â This time around I opted for a fabric other than the Clayton because I was worried about its durability. Â Based on the recent posts about wools, that may have been unnecessary. dan
What did you get instead?
I actually don't know. Â I wasn't looking at labels because I didn't (still don't?) know much about them. Â I also wanted a charcoal material with some texture to it and I didn't see anything like that in the Clayton book. dan

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What were those "questionable ideas" you had?
I wanted a rather lighter blue fabric than customary--almost an ultramarine--and Mr. Chu was admantly opposed. "Is not right for blazer." I deferred to his ideas. I think the patch pockets and the enameled Holland & Sherry buttons will distinguish it sufficiently from the typical department store blue blazer.

At the moment, I am planning to buy two garments a year, suits or sport coats (mostly the latter) from Chan for the next several years, as well as a quantity of shirts if I am satisfied with the one I just ordered. Every time I have worn my first Chan suit, I have garnered compliments from total strangers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads