• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to stop overdressing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would add Division Road to this list. Another one is Beams Plus, you can actually get their stuff on Amazon Japan, but you have to create a separate account. Your normal Amazon account won't work.
Those are both in the ivy/workwear section of the stylewheel though. Since the OP said he doesn't like jeans, I was trying to point him to more contemporary looks.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with blazers either. But if someone’s goal is to dress more casually, that’s the obvious place to start. Jeans with a sport coat is still going to be considered “dressed up” by normies (as sad as it may be). I’m not saying dressing more casually is my choice, but if OP wants to do it I feel like he is entitled to some advice.
I do this exact thing. Sometimes a sport coat is just too much. Have some Safari jackets, chore coats and overshirts that fit the bill.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to dress like a slob to fit in, then just dress like a slob and fit in. There isn't going to be a way to do this stylishly. If anything stylish - whatever style it is - is going to be "too dressed up", then just go buy the crocs and give up on life.

If "wearing a blazer with suede shoes" is too conservative for this crowd, you're pretty much screwed with anything you choose.

"A sports coat with jeans is too formal!".

Or you could grow some sartorial balls. Maybe they need to mind their business about what you wear.
Nah, I know where you're coming from and generally feel the same. Chore coats and such work very well especially in more rugged or dive bar surroundings. Safari jackets from G. Inglese, Boglioli, and Ring Jacket, overshirts from DBF, Caruso, shacket from Pvt White, VC. Lots of options in the closet now.

Also helps during oppressively hot summers where I want a bit of formality but a sport coat is just too hot.

epsilon22

Reaction score
I think some context is important here. It's easy to wear what you like and ignore others who comment that you're overdressed when you're in a senior position, have decades of experience, handle the company's biggest clients and bring in the big deals.

It's a different story for someone who's in a more junior role. People will judge you if you're different, like it or not, and if your career progression might be adversely impacted by the way you dress, you probably should try blending in (or get a different job, though that probably won't be as easy as leaving your sport coat at home).

endag

Reaction score
"It's O.K."

It's O.K. to abide by the standards of menswear traditions, but looking out of place in modern society is a sign that you may not understand the (trends) and culture that you yourself live in. I hear people can either be gaudy or tease you over there in EU, depending on who you are. That's just me, though.

In the American midwest, there is generally very little adherence to any sort of standardized practice of attire, aside from being able to put both feet in your pants at the same time.

If in doubt, learn to dress down. It's safer for you and will enable you to "blend in" much easier with the crowd and the environment. You may also learn of a better way to deal with the formalities of dress by the end of the day. Treat it like an experiment.

Last edited:

twuthetiger

Reaction score
I work in healthcare and everyone either is in scrubs or slacks. I do love commissioning ulsters and overcoats. It’s something I feel like I can wear without feeling overdressed since I’m only using it on my commute or on my walk during lunch.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Division Road was mentioned earlier. They are having a "Grey Friday" sale today with all 25% off. Code GFRIDAY2023

EricAlex

Reaction score
Plenty of good comments here. This is an old subject, but still relevant. I'd say there's just two options really:

1. Dress however you want and accept that you will stand out and get comments
2. Dress more casually

Hardline formal classical menswear enthusiasts would probably not budge, but I think the second option offers more possibilities than many realize. In my opinion classical menswear is much more than suits or sport coats and ties. Not opting for those doesn't mean you have to wear hoodies, sweats and trainers. There's endless variety of knits, pants, overshirts, jackets and less formal classic leather shoes and boots that offer variety (I guess you could also call some of it workwear, but I in my opinion not everything less formal is workwear). There's plenty of different materials also such as wool, cotton, corduroy and moleskin to play with. Possibilities for (more casual) self expression are practically endless.

My own personal favorite outfit currently is gray moleskin overshirt,a white long sleeve polo shirt or even a plain black t shirt under it, black jeans or black cords and roughout suede chukka boots in ebony. I always wear a chronograph with a nato or leather strap. Even this might come off as formal to regular people, but the materials are quite casual and bring the outfit down a notch in formality. Overshirts in general are very convenient for dressing down, even though many are probably understandably sick of them. A lot of the time I just wear simple knits (cardigan or a crew neck sweater) with a collared shirt under or not depending on my mood. I usually always opt for more classic shoes such as boots, because I feel weird in trainers. I find it fun to play with textures and mixing workwear with more formal pieces (but nothing too drastic, trying to keep things somewhat "classy"). If desired, the outfits can still look formal with the right accessories and combinations.

Dressing like this, I have never received any comments or weird looks, and in my country the dressing culture is quite casual. However, I don't mind standing out a little bit. This brings us to another important factor (as others have already mentioned), which I think is comfort. I think fit is also important, but comfort must not be forgotten. Of course comfort doesn't necessarily mean that the clothes should be loose, but in menswear circles I think the preferred fits have been somewhat tight for quite a while. I have almost completely opted out of wearing any tight feeling clothes. I find that you can carry yourself with more confidence if you feel comfortable in your clothes. You arouse less unwanted attention. So when you pair pleasing materials and a reasonably relaxed fit, it helps greatly with being comfortable. Then you mix different menswear staples of varying formality and voilà. This might of course go without saying to many people, but as a younger man I was often a tad uncomfortable in some of my too tightly tailored clothes.

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are, but they could also be the people in charge of deciding your salary/promotion. If you're willing to accept that and risk it, more power to you, but I completely understand why some won't.

Agreed.
What a crazy workplace if the boss gets all funny about employees wearing a sportscoat.
Toxic boss?
Toxic workplace?

Things have gone all funny these days.
People get all weird over little things. :fu:

Suppose you have to play the game if you have one of those funny bosses or workplaces. :fu::fu:

People are so scared to dress up anymore.
Almost everyone wants to play it safe and blend in with sneakers and jeans.
How awful.
Only the most courageous dare to wear a traditional hat. :fu: :fu:

epsilon22

Reaction score
Agreed.
What a crazy workplace if the boss gets all funny about employees wearing a sportscoat.
Toxic boss?
Toxic workplace?

Things have gone all funny these days.
People get all weird over little things. :fu:

Suppose you have to play the game if you have one of those funny bosses or workplaces. :fu::fu:

People are so scared to dress up anymore.
Almost everyone wants to play it safe and blend in with sneakers and jeans.
How awful.
Only the most courageous dare to wear a traditional hat. :fu: :fu:
Yeah, need to be able to read the atmosphere especially if you're in a junior position.

Fortunately I can at least wear sport coats or suits without raising eyebrows. Ties are uncommon though, so I prefer wearing sport coats, since suit without tie feels a bit incomplete.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The amusing fact is that, in America, making constant comments on your clothing (that is not in violation of your dress code) would be grounds for a sexual harrassment lawsuit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaboo