• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to properly put on a dress shirt

pigcorn

Reaction score
Sounds kind of silly but I was in a shop in the UK and I was trying on a dress shirt with tie. I put the shirt on, flipped the collar up in the air and started buttoning the top button. No! The sales person replied, keep the collar down and button all the button except the top, then do the top last and flip up and put the tie on.

I am sure he had a reason for this as I have been wearing shirts like this for 20 years and maybe it was just poor habit? Should I change my ways of putting a dress shirt on?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is ripe for a string of snotty witticisims,
devil.gif
but no, there is no "proper" way of putting on a shirt.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I button and then flip, but only as a matter of practicality. It seems much more difficult to fasten my collar once it's flipped up.

What we need is a discussion of how people tuck their shirts in. I try to keep everything equally distributed, aligning the side seams with reference to my belt loops. Then I reach up with my arms and gently twist my torso to undo any over-concentrated bunching at the waistband. This method gets me nice, uniform drape, without too much blousiness.

ThinkandDrive

Reaction score
The only think I can think of is that the act of flipping the collar back down while the button is fastened may put stress on the collar.

But I dunno. That's a stretch.

I keep the collar down, button starting from the second-button and then fasten the top button last.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only on styleforum...

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Button all buttons except top. Attach cufflinks. Flip up collar, put tie around neck. Fold collar back down, button top button. Tie tie.

Since most of my shirts have stiff collars, flipping the collar up & down with the top button buttoned make it seem like the collar will "break".

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
This seemed pretty cool to me but I've never been able to do it.

Or you can buy shirts that fit...

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
I was told that is the "Military tuck"

That is correct.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pigcorn
Sounds kind of silly but I was in a shop in the UK and I was trying on a dress shirt with tie. I put the shirt on, flipped the collar up in the air and started buttoning the top button. No! The sales person replied, keep the collar down and button all the button except the top, then do the top last and flip up and put the tie on.

I am sure he had a reason for this as I have been wearing shirts like this for 20 years and maybe it was just poor habit? Should I change my ways of putting a dress shirt on?

He is right except DO NOT flip the collar up. Top button open, insert tie under collar, give it the turkish pull, button top button, make your knot.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
He is right except DO NOT flip the collar up. Top button open, insert tie under collar, give it the turkish pull, button top button, make your knot.

Does this method help prevent collar wrinkles?

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
This seemed pretty cool to me but I've never been able to do it.

Here is a better method to achieve a perfectly tucked shirt (sorry, no photos available):

1. Unstitch inner leg seams and crotch/seat seam of trousers, but leave waistband fully intact.

2. Put on shirt and button all buttons (collar button may be left unbuttoned if desired).

3. Hold trousers aloft, with waistband unbuttoned and fly unzipped/unbuttoned, and lower them slowly over head, then shoulders, then torso until waistband reaches waist.

4. Button waistband and zip/button fly.

5. Shirt should have been captured smoothly during process of lowering trousers over head, shoulders, and torso; but if there is any sloppines around the waist simply reach up through unstitched crotch of trousers and pull excess shirt down.

6. Stitch crotch and inner leg seams closed and you're done.

Who says everyone puts on his pants one leg at a time?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads