• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Seaminglyso

Reaction score
Ideally, all my dress shirts would be fully handmade, except for seams that absolutely need the strength of machine sewing. I honestly don't discern a comfort difference between hand finished sleeves and machine attached, and a hand attached collar feels (to me) just like a machine attached collar. Hand made button holes are great, but machine made ones do the job adequately. But in the morning when I put my shirt on, I love the look of handwork. Absolutely love it. The joy I get putting on a Vincenzo di Ruggiero or Salvatore Piccolo (I tend to wear these brands most frequently) just is greater than the joy I get from my Charvet or T&A shirts. Even though I may like the Charvet or T&A fabric more (usually I do, but I do like VdR fabrics a lot and some are my absolute favorites), I like the Italian shirts simply because of the fold of the button hole and that stitching by the sleeve.

(The downside is that I absolutely will never send a shirt to the cleaners so I find myself ironing more than perhaps I have time for. I justify it on the grounds ironing is therapeutic. But I don't send any of my shirts to the cleaners anyway because of how brutally they murder buttons, collars, cuffs, and pretty much everything about the shirt that matters.)

Seaminglyso

Reaction score
At the risk of sounding pedantic, I believe the word is "yoke," not "yolk." Not that I don't enjoy a lovely scrambled egg on toasted rye with lashings of fresh ground black pepper.
Haha. So long as they are hand applied to the back of the shirt, they are welcome.

Seaminglyso

Reaction score
Interesting that yoke and shoulders were the clear leaders for the early respondents, but things are evening out quite a bit now.

Thun242

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like handmade garments, they are mainly for common type of people and mindset, not very extraordinary. Usually I looking for small designers with unique mindset. So for a dress shirt I looking for extraordinary ideas, like shoulder straps, asymmetric buttons, different materials on 1 shirt, and things like these.

bobby jonathan

Reaction score
I don't like handmade garments, they are mainly for common type of people and mindset, not very extraordinary. Usually I looking for small designers with unique mindset. So for a dress shirt I looking for extraordinary ideas, like shoulder straps, asymmetric buttons, different materials on 1 shirt, and things like these.

are you relative, of michael rother? i don't believe, he would care.

bobby jonathan

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I highly appreciate a well done hand-made work, think that sometimes its importance is overrated, especially on a shirt. I certainly want to have hand-made buttonholes and hand-attached sleeves and yoke, but the main stitches look better if machine-made. Maybe it's a matter of customing, but a collar, as well as a cuff, just looks better with a neat high-number machine stitching.

Very nice, accurate stitching on these shirts from Camiceria Eri.

Screenshot (716).png
Screenshot (715).png
Screenshot (717).png
Screenshot (718).png

As I said, whilst I admire the great work, I prefer a mashine stitching on collars and cuffs.

Seaminglyso

Reaction score
I generally only wear white dress shirts these days and I don't think anyone would ever tell the handwork, but when I put my shirt on in the morning, I linger over the stitching. To the extent it's an affectation, it's a personal one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads