• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get a blazer tailored?

Crow

Reaction score
I am looking to get a blazer tailored that I can wear casually. I have had suits and even blazers tailored before and I notice that the jacket doesn't quite look right in a casual setting (with jeans or T-shirt).

So, any help on what I should tell the tailor so that I am very specific about what I want would be very appreciated. I have noticed that firstly, my jacket's collar is much broader than the more casual jackets, but that is about all I would be able to tell the tailor and I don't want to be vague.

Thanks

PS: ^my first post

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SF! >>I notice that the jacket doesn't quite look right in a casual setting (with jeans or T-shirt) Your instincts are better than you thought. Tailored jackets don't go with t-shirts unless you're a rebel character on a primetime TV drama, so you're right on with that. I have jackets that I pair with wool trousers and with jeans but always with a collared shirt. >>So, any help on what I should tell the tailor so that I am very specific about what I want would be very appreciated. I have noticed that firstly, my jacket's collar is much broader than the more casual jackets You can't turn a suit top or business sportcoat into a casual jacket. The details are wrong. You also can't change the size of the collar (width of the lapels). Your best bet is to shop around for a true casual sportcoat. Here is an example of a sportcoat turned casual:
barbera1.jpg
Why? Patch pockets (sewn on the outside of the jacket), modern lapels, and sleeve cuffs with casual ends instead of a row of buttons. Now you don't have to have all of these things to make it casual, but you can easily see the difference between a suit coat and this.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically, lapels can be narrowed. But results might not look good, and that's independent of lapel width relative to shoulder width, other possibly formal details on the jacket, etc..

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hoff,

I agree with most of what you said but I have plenty of very cool casual blazers with the whole row of buttons on the cuff - the trick is in the details.

OP,

A good casual blazer looks hip and fun at first sight - probably a little slimmer/hipper than the average jacket (again, you said jeans and t-shirt, so you want something hip/slim). There was a thread a while back about a guy from the Sartorialist with a good casual blazer on. Compare the specs on that to what you have and see what you like about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads