• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you squat today?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
My gym doesn't have a power rack and just has a smith machine. I was using it for a while even though I knew it wasn't ideal but I've been reading a lot that it can actually be harmful. Is there a reasonable way to squat without a rack or spotter? I usually use dumbells for benching but I don't see that working for squats.

For back squatting, I would stick with the smith, as bad as it sounds. Cleaning, pressing and lowering a squattable weight onto your back isn't practical, especially when it comes time to get the bar off your back. Smith squatting requires a different stance; place your feet out in front so that you are resting back against the bar and your thighs and calves form a right angle when you are parallel. This will help you to push off of your heels, and should limit knee issues.

Front squatting for higher reps would be easier, since you would be using a lighter weight and could clean it into position. Hack squats are another option as well. Personally I would do front and hack squats; front squats are one of my favourite movements since the bar position is much less taxing on the shoulders and arms.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah front squats is what I did today. Honestly, the weight I'm doing right now is so light that it doesn't much matter.

I'm finding a few things online about dumbbell squats. I think that could be an option until I get to really heavy lifts and grip strength becomes an issue.

Rangoon

Reaction score
I'm thinking of dropping deads from my routine and instead squatting twice a week ( monday heavy and friday light but 20 rep sets ). What do you guys think? Anybody here squat twice weekly? I enjoy dead-lifts but squatting works my body more so I want to make the most of the exercise.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rangoon
I'm thinking of dropping deads from my routine and instead squatting twice a week ( monday heavy and friday light but 20 rep sets ). What do you guys think? Anybody here squat twice weekly? I enjoy dead-lifts but squatting works my body more so I want to make the most of the exercise.

I would keep the 20 rep sets on the same day as your regular squat. Barring some kind of injury, I don't see any reason to drop deadlifts. If you're deadlifting at a decent level of intensity and volume, you should definitely not be looking for a replacement exercise on the basis of it "working you harder."

Bit of a breakdown in logic here - you want to drop deads in favour of squats since squats work you harder; but you'd be doing light sets of 20. If you're doing sets light enough, they won't work you harder, and if you're doing 20 rep sets hard enough on Friday, you are sure as **** not going to want to squat heavy on Monday.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by munchausen
Yeah front squats is what I did today. Honestly, the weight I'm doing right now is so light that it doesn't much matter.

I'm finding a few things online about dumbbell squats. I think that could be an option until I get to really heavy lifts and grip strength becomes an issue.

Get better at front squats. You will get better at them; don't write them off since your load is light right now. I would rather be able to clean + front squat light weights and progress with excellent form + ROM and have some kind of carryover to my back squat at a later time than squat with DBs.

Not that I'm a lifting expert but I haven't heard of any advantage to DB squatting - if you're goblet squatting, your ROM is drastically reduced, and if you're squatting with DBs on your shoulders you may as well be front squatting properly with a bar. Squatting with dbs at your sides is more akin to a deadlift or trap-bar dl than a squat I would say.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
Get better at front squats. You will get better at them; don't write them off since your load is light right now. I would rather be able to clean + front squat light weights and progress with excellent form + ROM and have some kind of carryover to my back squat at a later time than squat with DBs.

Not that I'm a lifting expert but I haven't heard of any advantage to DB squatting - if you're goblet squatting, your ROM is drastically reduced, and if you're squatting with DBs on your shoulders you may as well be front squatting properly with a bar. Squatting with dbs at your sides is more akin to a deadlift or trap-bar dl than a squat I would say.

Well the main advantage of dumbbells would be that I could drop them easily if I failed, but I suppose I could drop a barbell from a front squat without much more difficulty.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bailing from a front squat is extremely easy, just dump the weight. Use a clean grip though.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I weigh 140, I can squat about 135, and bench 260. Bro-Physique (tm)

6 months later, I am squatting 185x5x3. 1rm is probably... 205? just guessing.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
6 months later, I am squatting 185x5x3. 1rm is probably... 205? just guessing.

At least that, if not more. If that was a really tight set of 5, the calculated 1RM would be @ 215.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads