• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much did you squat today?

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
For the guys who squat with relatively high weight (400+) don't you get size problems with your thighs? In college, I got up to working out with 405 (usually 10 reps for 5 sets). By that time, my thighs had blown up and I could barely fit into any pants or jeans. Now, I just do 4-5 sets of 225 with 20+ reps. My legs aren't massive anymore, but I can fit into pants and jeans now . . .

I've always deliberately kept the reps lower so I don't get a lot of hypertrophy. I always stuck around 5-6 reps. Even with that, yeah, I had trouble fitting in a lot of pants, especially modern cut jeans.

Prince

Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I would do 5x5.

Thanks, much appreciated.
smile.gif

brokejew

Reaction score
270X12 for 4 sets, trying to work up to 320 or 2X body weight...

Jsoftz

Reaction score
185 x 5. I only weigh 150 (5'6" height) and am trying to work my way up to 2x bw, obviously have a long way to go. 1 RM is probably like.. 205 although I never really try that sort of thing.

One problem I'm having.. n00b issue, but seeing as every iGent here squats 3x their BW, only big times with Ambrosi pants and doesn't date girls with sharp knees- thought y'all could help. I'm really struggling with bar placement- I seem to always put it somewhere that it is directly resting on bone and that area is tender for a day or two afterwards. Some folks I know tell me I should have the bar up high on my traps with my arms stretched out but A) I feel like I have no control there and am wasting effort trying to stabilize and B) seems to fly in the face of what Starting Strength says. Any advice?

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
185 x 5. I only weigh 150 (5'6" height) and am trying to work my way up to 2x bw, obviously have a long way to go. 1 RM is probably like.. 205 although I never really try that sort of thing.

One problem I'm having.. n00b issue, but seeing as every iGent here squats 3x their BW, only big times with Ambrosi pants and doesn't date girls with sharp knees- thought y'all could help. I'm really struggling with bar placement- I seem to always put it somewhere that it is directly resting on bone and that area is tender for a day or two afterwards. Some folks I know tell me I should have the bar up high on my traps with my arms stretched out but A) I feel like I have no control there and am wasting effort trying to stabilize and B) seems to fly in the face of what Starting Strength says. Any advice?

Arms spread or partway in works, it's more personal preference I find. For higher weights, I like to pull the hands in a bit and try to "spread the bar", which will activate your traps and lats a bit, helping stabilize the bar (and your upper body in general) a bit more. YMMV based on how big your traps are. It sounds like some accessory lifts like shrugs, rows, etc might help you stabilize the upper body a bit.

Also, it's always going to be tender- just get used to the spot being bruised with a straight bar- it will toughen up eventually and not hurt any more.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
but seeing as every iGent here squats 3x their BW

Incorrect
teacha.gif

I'm really struggling with bar placement- I seem to always put it somewhere that it is directly resting on bone and that area is tender for a day or two afterwards. Some folks I know tell me I should have the bar up high on my traps with my arms stretched out but A) I feel like I have no control there and am wasting effort trying to stabilize and B) seems to fly in the face of what Starting Strength says. Any advice?

High bar and low bar squats are a breed apart. What it comes down to in the end is doing what you're comfortable with, be it with the bar higher on your traps or lower on your rear delts. I favor the low bar position, mainly because I feel I can get my upper back much tighter that way and I like the back angle it produces. Obviously upper back tightness is key to creating 'the pad' for the bar to rest on, if you're putting the bar directly on bone it will definitely hurt and I wouldn't recommend that.

Watching squatting videos of most PL meets it seems that arm placement comes down to preference - some squat with a very wide grip and some have a narrow one. I suggest you fool around until you find a position where you have the least discomfort and where you feel you can get decent tightness across the upper back and traps.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sucked it up and am squatting paused, ATG. Embarrassingly ****** numbers - 155x5x2 @ 160lbs but it feels good to come out of the hole and not good-morning the weight up.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Decahedron
could you dudes who do deadlifts please switch over to any other leg exercise? 700+ pounds isnt so impressive but sure does take up a lot of 45 plates i could be usin!

nope, **** you

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I cannot squat even half of my body weight.

djlukin

Reaction score
Sadly, probably only about 5-10% of people at any given gym actually squat correctly. Most numbers are incredibly exaggerated. That being said, my max of my life was 365 lbs (at about 195lbs). Squatting double your body weight with perfect form is a true feat. Going down past ninety degrees and activating the hip flexors is the only way to squat. Otherwise, you load up your quads and risk injury.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just did squats and this thread embarrasses me.
redface.gif

jscott

Reaction score
Not today; but on Tuesday. 5x5 @275. Been training so sporadically last 6 mos. or so, I've lost a lot of strength. Its coming back as I get more consistent though.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
some beasts in this thread. specially that guy that said he weighs 140 and squats 300x5x3

i feel so humbled

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads