• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did u get an NYC apartment?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
some people (like me) work a lot of hours and its great to meet somebody at 8 pm and have them take you to 8-10 different places and then take care of negotiating and all the paperwork for you. I had some requirements (above X St., but below Y St. and not past Z Ave., pets allowed, etc.) and my broker narrowed down everything for me, had the keys for viewing ready, and negotiated a move-in time that saved me a lot of money.

I worked with the management company last year, and while that worked fine, I had great luck with my particular broker this year and the whole process was not the nightmare I anticipated.

So category #1

Originally Posted by haganah
because not all of us want to live in run down small apartments in the middle of nowhere? as much as i hate them, they have access to the best listings.

Category #2

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot has changed since my first post in this thread...

I looked for roomates this weekend and think it is such a bad idea. I quickly determined that when u rent a room in someone's apartment, it seems like it is not your apartment (but theirs).

So i was speaking with my parents (who visit me often) and "we" decided that rather than my current studio, i should switch to a 1 bedroom apt. This is so that my parents can actually stay in my apartment when they visit, rather than stay in your choice of Times Square hotels. My parents would help me with the rent, if i end up paying more than my current apartment.

In any event WHO ARE SOME GOOD REAL ESTATE BROKERS IN MANHATTAN for rental apartments? I agree with what some of you said (particularly the guy from Stern.. you know who you are) about using a broker. I tried craigslist for a few days and i dont have the time or patience for that.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Thanks

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive used citi-habitats.com, my broker was Eugine, he's a really good guy.

CL really is the best option, it has listings from a bunch of brokers plus owners, where you don't have to pay a fee.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
Ive used citi-habitats.com, my broker was Eugine, he's a really good guy.

CL really is the best option, it has listings from a bunch of brokers plus owners, where you don't have to pay a fee.

Superb. I really appreciate your help.

I will give them a call tomorrow.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last rental broker I used was in 2003 - really wish I could remember or find her name but I can't find anything. Key is to tell them NOT to show you anything that doesn't fit your criteria - if they do, tell them again and firmly why it doesn't fit your criteria and if they screw up again, get another broker. Don't waste your time with someone who's not interested in doing any work for his fee.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I just signed for a new apartment and looked at places using 3 different brokers ... but 1 stood out above the rest and I ended up with one of her apartments. She was magnificent, really took the time to help me locate places in my price range and area specifications. PM me if you want her info.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
also, you'll have no trouble with a 1-bedroom. I got a 1-bedroom for LESS than the studio that I got 12 months ago.

JSC437

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The last rental broker I used was in 2003 - really wish I could remember or find her name but I can't find anything. Key is to tell them NOT to show you anything that doesn't fit your criteria - if they do, tell them again and firmly why it doesn't fit your criteria and if they screw up again, get another broker. Don't waste your time with someone who's not interested in doing any work for his fee.

Thanks very much.... Very good advice.

Actually, thanks to everyone.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Manhattan prices suck...
Just bought a house in SI. Nice price, close to work... bit too many guidos, but I can deal with that.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by herzzreh
Manhattan prices suck...
Just bought a house in SI. Nice price, close to work... bit too many guidos, but I can deal with that.

ew

herzzreh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
ew

Ew I agree with, but gotta live where the work is...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ewwwww

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads