• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How comfortable are your dress shoes?

krn.nyc

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the market for some really comfortable dress shoes as I travel abroad often and am on my feet during trade shows.
I need them to be contemporary and compatible with a suit, while hopefully having the comfort of something like an orthopedic shoe. I'd go orthopedic but find many of the shoes ugly. Any recommendations would be sincerely appreciated.

As an aside, I'm also just curious how comfortable your dress shoes currently are and whether comfort is an important factor in deciding whether to buy dress shoes or not. Would you be willing to pay more for comfort?

Thanks!

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dress AE dress shoes are very comfortable, or I would not have bought them. I too, have done my share of trade shows. If I'm going to be on my feet for hours, I wear black Ecco rubber soled shoes rather than my leather soled AEs. AEs are great office/meeting dress shoes but they are not my trade show shoes.

krn.nyc

Reaction score
Hi Twotone, thanks for the response. Were they comfortable out of the box, or did it take time to break in?

While Ecco shoes are great comfort-wise, I feel they leave a lot to be desired in terms of the silhouette of the shoes. Is there a reason why Alden doesn't make a shoe with rubber soles?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will all depend how each fits your feet - there is no measure of comfort in the manner you seem think appropriate.

papa kot

Reaction score
Hi Twotone, thanks for the response. Were they comfortable out of the box, or did it take time to break in?

While Ecco shoes are great comfort-wise, I feel they leave a lot to be desired in terms of the silhouette of the shoes. Is there a reason why Alden doesn't make a shoe with rubber soles?

Alden can make any shoe you want, provided that you order through a retailer. Typical choices include leather, commando or plantation crepe sole. Commando sole is a bit utilitarian and if you want to get something dressy but comfortable, go with a plantation crepe. Example:

This sole is a standard for Alden walker shoes, but if you go through Leather Soul or Leffot, they may be able to create a custom order for you.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden can make any shoe you want, provided that you order through a retailer. Typical choices include leather, commando or plantation crepe sole. Commando sole is a bit utilitarian and if you want to get something dressy but comfortable, go with a plantation crepe. Example: This sole is a standard for Alden walker shoes, but if you go through Leather Soul or Leffot, they may be able to create a custom order for you.
This is not "any shoe you want" This is minor variations on standard Alden shoes. Ths is neither MTM or Bespoke. I know. tried to get a wider shoe. Couldn't be done. Yes, they would happily change the sole material on a shoe that didn't fit !

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all my dress shoes are comfortable. I don't wear or keep uncomfortable footwear.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is not "any shoe you want" This is minor variations on standard Alden shoes. Ths is neither MTM or Bespoke.
I know. tried to get a wider shoe. Couldn't be done. Yes, they would happily change the sole material on a shoe that didn't fit !

Was EEE not wide enough? The widest last is probably trubalance, but there are plenty of choices. Modified might be good.

cazone

Reaction score
[mequote name="Cuttingboard" url="/t/441667/how-comfortable-are-your-dress-shoes#post_7528820"]
all my dress shoes are comfortable. I don't wear or keep uncomfortable footwear.

Ditto![/quote]

Same here.
All my shoes are very comfortable.
Some more, some a little less (quality of the leather, last, fit).
Personally I also prefer in almost all situations leather soles for comfort reasons too (breathability). Sometimes rubber soles can be preferred.
Beside that they look good. For sure. :)

Quality cotton socks are important too.

Quality shoes must be comfortable. Otherwise something's wrong.
This should also be the case for women, but is rarely and sadly the case.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. If one's shoes aren't comfortable get rid of them and get yourself a pair of dress shoes that will not hurt your feet. Spend the money on quality now and it will pay off in the long run, no one understands this at my work.

TradThrifter

Reaction score
I have a pair of vintage tassel loafers from FootJoy and I just love the last, color, and the leather. But they are not very comfortable and I can only wear them for a few hours. They havent gotten much use recently.

papa kot

Reaction score
I have a pair of vintage tassel loafers from FootJoy and I just love the last, color, and the leather. But they are not very comfortable and I can only wear them for a few hours. They havent gotten much use recently.

You probably bought a wrong size. Until I found this forum, I used to get the crappiest shoes from the cheapest places I could find. Thus, I could never wear those shoes for more than a few hours. After learning to try on shoes based on fit (as opposed to using the size as the main gauge) I have changed my perspective. The sole (I prefer crepe) with a suitable amount of free room make my chukkas and Indy boots as comfortable as Converse. The sad thing is that it took me a long time to figure this out. I was always told that I was a D whereas my best fits are in EEE width :)

Last edited:

TradThrifter

Reaction score
You probably bought a wrong size. Until I found this forum, I used to get the crappiest shoes from the cheapest places I could find. Thus, I could never wear those shoes for more than a few hours. After learning to try on shoes based on fit (as opposed to using the size as the main gauge) I have changed my perspective. The sole (I prefer crepe) with a suitable amount of free room make my chukkas and Indy boots as comfortable as Converse. The sad thing is that it took me a long time to figure this out. I was always told that I was a D whereas my best fits are in EEE width :)

Yea it would have been great if I could have sized up, but I snagged them at the thrift store for about ten bucks and just went with it.Then I cleaned them up and polished them. Beautiful shoes made in the USA, but i guess beggers can't be choosers lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads