• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHOES ACCEPTABLE FOR ITALY DINNERS BUT COMFORTABLE FOR WALKING ALL DAY

neminat

Reaction score
We are traveling to Italy with the family and will be sightseeing and doing dinners in the evening. We do not plan to hit any specifically formal / Michelin Star restaurants but don't want to be underdressed in comparison to the Italian norms.

With the normal amount of activity / walking during the day, wearing goodyear welted loafers sounds miserable on the feet all day. Initially I was thinking a pair of all white leather KOIO capris but that really doesnt work well if wearing chinos and a linen shirt for dinner in the evenings unless I keep a change of shoes with us.

A part of me is thinking leather drivers like these Cobbler Unions. They would be entirely unconstructed and easier on the feet than a GYW loafer.

What are your recommendations? What do you do when you travel and active during the day?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a resident of Rome I can (sadly) attest that these days pretty much anything goes, even amongst Italians. That said, I commend your desire to look at least a bit smarter than the average tourist, especially at dinner.

The problem for travelers nowadays is that nobody wants to check a bag, and carry-on bags leave little space for an extra pair of shoes. My French girlfriend checks a bag when she goes home to Paris for three days. ("I'm French; I have shoes.") But most people don't or won't.

If you're traveling with only carry-on, consider a pair of canvas espadrilles which take up almost no room or weight and will look "casual smart" at dinner in the summer. (My favorite brand is Castaner, made in Spain; they have a great website and fast shipping.) It's also a joy to get out of your touring shoes after a hot day, and let your feet (and shoes) breathe.

But I would prioritize wearing your most comfortable and sturdy daytime walking shoes; there is no point in torturing yourself all day just to look smarter at dinner, and the truth is that even most Italian men will be wearing sneakers even at night.

Last edited:

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d be looking at a good quality service boot that can hole the cobblestones and still look decent poking out from under trousers. Or Alden Indys?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d be looking at a good quality service boot that can hole the cobblestones and still look decent poking out from under trousers. Or Alden Indys?
That’s good advice in general except that leather boots here in summer can be too hot. Also they need to break in; wearing new ones while touring all day can’t be recommended.

Better to wear your most comfortable walking shoes and, if you have no room for a second pair of shoes in your luggage, don’t worry about how they look at night.

Best plan: check a bag. OP is traveling en famille. One checked bag for the whole family will hold extra shoes and all the cool stuff you buy in Italy. By the time you get through immigration, your bag will be at the carousel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads