• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I get a physique like this guy?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You can't get a physique like that guy, or any other guy. You can only work out and eat clean to reach your own genetic potential.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
+1 on the bullshit in this thread.

No, the person with average genetics will not look like the guy in the first pic regardless of how much cardio, lifting, or whatever else they choose to do. Ever.

If you already have the frame, it will take a LOT of smart cardio to get there. On top of that, if you don't have the muscle mass yet, it will take a LOT of smart lifting to get there. It's not "just compound lifts". Good luck though, I'm sure you if you commit yourself to it and have a good starting point, you can make it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haTTer
Basically eat lean (preferably Paleo) this is what I do- this guy is 55 and Im 51.
I have been doing this for a while now and Im not far off this ...
It works believe me ..

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-...washboard-abs/

his and my work out routine
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/my-fitness-routine/

what he / and I eat in a day
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-cant-eat-anything/

Interesting reads, but this guy could just be a genetic freak.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually do have the frame of that guy in OP's pic, just not the muscle. What exactly else is required besides compound lifts and eating a lot for an extreme ectomorph?

I don't care about looking like him, or anyone, I just want muscles. I've got some, they just aren't very big. But I guarantee you I'm the functionally strongest 120 lb weakling you'd ever come across heheh.

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
+1 on the bullshit in this thread.

No, the person with average genetics will not look like the guy in the first pic regardless of how much cardio, lifting, or whatever else they choose to do. Ever.

If you already have the frame, it will take a LOT of smart cardio to get there. On top of that, if you don't have the muscle mass yet, it will take a LOT of smart lifting to get there. It's not "just compound lifts". Good luck though, I'm sure you if you commit yourself to it and have a good starting point, you can make it.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I actually do have the frame of that guy in OP's pic, just not the muscle. What exactly else is required besides compound lifts and eating a lot for an extreme ectomorph?

I don't care about looking like him, or anyone, I just want muscles. I've got some, they just aren't very big. But I guarantee you I'm the functionally strongest 120 lb weakling you'd ever come across heheh.

I am not a personal trainer and do not want to give you personalized advice. Nothing I say is qualified in any way except personal experience and some research.

If you have that frame and are truly an extreme ectomorph, you are a lucky guy. Eat lots and eat clean (if nothing else but for health purposes). Sure do compound lifts, but after you build up a base, don't be scared to expand and work your problem areas (for me this was delts and chest, so I added and switched up exercises to really hit those areas hard). As an extreme ectomorph, it will likely be easy for you to put on lean mass. Most people have to be careful to temper the fat that comes with that mass, but for you I guess just keep increasing the calories until you are seeing some sort of increase each week or two on the scale.

Again, it's a lot easier for an extreme ectomorph that most (from what I understand). Do you already have a six-pack and are under 10% bf?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bf hovers around 10 - 12%. My abs are starting to show though, and I do 0 abwork. Just squats, dl, bench presses, and db military presses (standard 5x5 routine). I don't care about ab muscles, what concerns me is my lack of chest and chicken legs.

I also do preacher curls, but am cutting them out of my routine, they seem worthless at this point. I may or may not replace with chinups, or just cut it out completely and stick with my basic compounds.

Eating enough is the most difficult part. I just don't see how a guy my size can eat 5-6k cals a day.

I think the only muscle I have that would be considered big are my glutes.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My bf hovers around 10 - 12%. My abs are starting to show though, and I do 0 abwork. Just squats, dl, bench presses, and db military presses (standard 5x5 routine). I don't care about ab muscles, what concerns me is my lack of chest and chicken legs.

I also do preacher curls, but am cutting them out of my routine, they seem worthless at this point. I may or may not replace with chinups, or just cut it out completely and stick with my basic compounds.

Eating enough is the most difficult part. I just don't see how a guy my size can eat 5-6k cals a day.

Again I am not a trusted source on these matters, but here's my opinion.

What are you eating now? If you seriously weight 120, I don't see how you do not gain weight at 3000-3500 calories. Diet will be the number one issue. If you are already doing the Starr 5x5 routine with DLs and Squats, your legs will not be skinny for long if you keep eating. Track your diet (fitday.com works) and try to hit your calorie goal every day. Read some articles and pre- and post-workout nutrition, it's pretty important.

Other than that, I don't see how you are not gaining weight if you are eating >3500 calories.

Also, if you are already at 10-12% now, it is unlikely you will pack on 20-30lbs on muscle without a bunch of fat gain (for an ectomorph maybe 15-18% at the end? But I am guessing). You will have to do a significant cutting phase at the end to be like the guy in the picture (he looks ~9% to me).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My diet is just horrible, that's likely my problem. I have tracked my eating habits in fitday, and usually well over 50% of my calories consumed are fat.

Illuminate07

Reaction score

I think the only muscle I have that would be considered big are my glutes.

In my experience, adding some ab work increases your compound lifts. I've done it both with and without, it's a pretty massive difference. If you can afford to add in an extra day anyway

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give that a try. Always assumed that the static contractions my abs got from the compound lifts was plenty enough stimulation, but what's the harm in digging out the ab wheel and giving it a try.

unexpected

Reaction score
this genetic potential argument is just garbage.

Most people don't train effectively and blame everything on their bloody genetic potential. Usually it's basically one thing: everything comes back to diet.

For example, javyn's sitting here, bitching about how he's not gaining weight, and he can't even tell us how many calories he's eating or his macro nutrient breakdown (not to pick on you javyn, but seriously, I've heard you bitching about you being 120 lbs now, and like 6 months ago, and yet you don't even care enough to do the work involved in gaining weight....again, not picking on you, just tought love).

I used to be 260 lbs, and if you saw me, you would have said my genetic potential is lousy, but now i'm 190 and I'm *so close* to having a six-pack. I never thought i'd get this far, but honestly, if I can do it, anyone can do it.

All it takes conviction- an ability to cut through the crap, and like anything else in life, stop blaming others for your own failings. Focus on your diet. Write down everything. Actually train. Avoid getting into pissy litttle internet forum fights over whether or not doing this exercise is better than doing that exercise. A willingness to change your habits. Allowing for time.

But seriously metrostyles, if you don't think this physique is possible - I mean who are you kidding? why do you think like that? You just said you weren't an authority on the subject. Anything is possible if you're willing to work your ass off and making the proper diet changes. If you're willing to sacrifice everything, then you'll see something. For some people it's a lot easier to do. Those are the lucky ones, others have to sacrifice more, but they can get there if they wanted to.

Everyone complains and "wants" to change, but no one is willing to make an effort to educate themselves and work hard.

God, I hate people sometimes.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Genetic potential is not bullshit. My point to the OP is that you can't look like someone else (unless you are a clone). That is by far no excuse for laziness, but trying to compare yourself to another person is stupid.

Reaching genetic potential doesn't mean sitting on the couch eating chips saying *******, I was born this way. It's busting your ass to look/feel the as good as possible, essentially, how your body would be if it wasn't for the conveniences of modern society, most notably, not having to exert yourself physically to obtain your food.

2. My bitching was a bit of a tangent, but I know full well I need to adjust my diet. I didn't mean to derail the OP's thread though and apologize. Also, I can't give an accurate daily calorie count, just averages since how much I'm able to eat swings wildy from day to day. Some days I can consume well over 3k calories and freak everyone out. Most days I can only eat 2k. Some days I just can't eat more than 800-1000.

3. You being 260 was not your genetic potential.

For example, even though I have the same frame as the guy in the OP, if I did muscle up, I would definitely not look like him. The shape of our muscles, etc etc are all determined by genetics. Perhaps the term "individual best" is better than "genetic potential".

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unexpected

But seriously metrostyles, if you don't think this physique is possible - I mean who are you kidding? why do you think like that? You just said you weren't an authority on the subject. Anything is possible if you're willing to work your ass off and making the proper diet changes. If you're willing to sacrifice everything, then you'll see something. For some people it's a lot easier to do. Those are the lucky ones, others have to sacrifice more, but they can get there if they wanted to.

unexpected,

Take it easy, man. I never said the physique is not possible, only that it is not possible for some people. If you are structurally not slim but rather stocky, you will not get that kind of shoulder to waist ratio, period. I'm not saying you can't look great, but that you can't necessarily look great in that exact way.

I agree that it is possible for many people given they do things right and commit to them. Sometimes these commitments are not feasible given a person's job and family commitments.

Lastly, genetic potential has a lot to do with it. For example, testosterone levels vary from man to man, limiting the amount of lean muscle one can gain at a low fat level. Sorry, but it's the truth. I am a little bit sick of hearing people on bodybuilding forums say the "Brad Pitt from Fight Club look just takes some benching and triceps work and lots and lots of cardio". It's not always that simple, and it's not always possible.

But you are entitled to an opinion. Like I said, mine is just an opinion of a random internet poster. I am certainly no Mr. Olympia. After all, I wear Black Label.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads