• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are Cole Haan shoes?

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by junior varsity
the high end cole haan collections from my experience were great. made in italy, soft bologna construction leather soles. the regular pedestrian collection from cole haan sucks. the nike air is not a good sole imho
I have an Italian pair from years back like that. Very soft (but a little too thin) leather and light, sleek construction, bit like Magli. Haven't really looked at recent Cole Haan.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one pair that I purchased back when I was very poor, before the new Nike sole. They still fit so I haven't thrown them out, but they do not compare to higher quality shoes, and I don't think I've worn them in over 7 or 8 years. I should probably just give them to the Salvation Army.

I would even recommend quality used shoes to brand new Cole Haans.

junior varsity

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I have an Italian pair from years back like that. Very soft (but a little too thin) leather and light, sleek construction, bit like Magli. Haven't really looked at recent Cole Haan.

yeah they almost phased out the high end cole haan collection series...
i got mine back in 2006, and still running on original soles.

RangerP

Reaction score
You won't find much love for Cole Haan in these forums.

EVERYONE seems to hate them.

I have just started buying better shoes and I can say that my personal experience is that Cole Haan has much cheaper leather and soles than other companies in slightly higher price ranges (or in the same one even).

Check the forums and eBay for Allen Edmonds... I recommend going to the store before buying to really determine your size in the different lasts.

They don't carry AE for reasonable price where I'm from so during a recent trip to NYC, I tried on a whole bunch of different styles and wrote down my sizes for each of them.

Now I know in which last I need a 9E, 9.5D or 9.5E...

Good luck!

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it hard to generalize about C-H because they get shoes from a variety of vendors?

I have one pair of C-H shoes that were made in Brazil. The lasting is kind of blobby, but otherwise they have been durable, comfortable shoes that have stood up well to a helluva lot of hard use over the past 11 years and are still in pretty decent shape.

JonathanHemlock

Reaction score
I like mine but haven't been here long enough to absorb the groupthink. Feel great, fit is TTS. I have a pair of these. . .

Air-Colton-Chukka-C08569_A.jpg

and a pair of these. . .

Air-Lenox-Chelsea-C08696_A.jpg

as well as some black dress shoes. I buy enough shoes that I think I know what is quality and what is crap, YMMV. Thumbs up!

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cb_32
those boots don't look too bad.

No, they kinda do.

Alan B.

Reaction score
Vintage Cole Haans are my favorite shoe. You can still find some on eBay. Just be sure that they are stamped "Made in USA." Their old Bragano line from Italy was also superb, especially if you like low vamps. As everyone else has said, stay away from the current stuff.

jbotz05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alan B.
Vintage Cole Haans are my favorite shoe. You can still find some on eBay. Just be sure that they are stamped "Made in USA." Their old Bragano line from Italy was also superb, especially if you like low vamps. As everyone else has said, stay away from the current stuff.

I have a couple of "Made in USA" loafers that are pretty good but if they're in the same price range as AE shoes I would definately go with the AEs.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
I have a pair of pre-Nike Cole Haan chestnut brogues, and over the years the colour has gone very uneven, and they flex rather unattractively when I'm walking (maybe they always did that, but I really notice it now). I would not buy another pair even at a super-bargain auction price.

I have a couple pairs of the Nike hybrids, and I consider them pretty reasonable for going on holiday with only a single pair of shoes where unknown amounts of walking, rough terrain and rain may be involved. Which is to say, I think they have uses if I look at them as something that may get used up quickly and made disposable by necessity. I wouldn't consider them an investment shoe.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alan B.
Shot of my Bragano, not too shabby.

JonathanHemlock

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michael_legeek
I wouldn't consider them an investment shoe.

Aren't all shoes a depreciating asset as soon as you walk off the carpet?

Not being funny, I'm just trying to understand. I like the idea of an "investment shoe." When my wife asks me WTF I am doing with some new kicks, I can tell her they part of my retirement portfolio!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads