• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Premier and Hotel Recommendations

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are invited to a premier in Hollywood at the Grauman's Chinese Theater. It includes red carpet and an after party. This is a whole new world for us so I'm not sure what to expect. What would be a special hotel experience in Hollywood? What else should we consider planning on doing as part of a trip to Hollywood?

hnlax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
My wife and I are invited to a premier in Hollywood at the Grauman's Chinese Theater. It includes red carpet and an after party. This is a whole new world for us so I'm not sure what to expect. What would be a special hotel experience in Hollywood? What else should we consider planning on doing as part of a trip to Hollywood?

where do you want to stay? how much do you want to spend? are you into the hollywood club thing?

i live in downtown la (right across the street from the standard), and i love downtown la. lots of great bars (7 and grand has to be one of the best whisky bars in america) all within walking distance, none of the douchebaggery of hollywood.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just get a room at the renaissance hollywood. Its right there.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hnlax
where do you want to stay? how much do you want to spend? are you into the hollywood club thing?

Probably $250-$350 range.

Not into clubs but would like to get around and drop in on a nice hotel bar or three.

I've heard about the Standard and the Sunset Tower. What do you think of these?

Any particular sites in the Hollywood area you suggest seeing?

I've lived in CA most of my life but have never spent any time in Hollywood. This will be a first.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd stay at the Chateau Marmont if it's in your price range. It's charming, lots of celebrities around but it feels private and low key. The bar (in the hotel, not the Bar Marmont) is great for people watching.

If you want to be close to the Chinese, check out the Roosevelt. Also some of the nicer hotels on the strip, like the Sunset Tower. The Sunset Tower is nice - art deco, lovely rooms, good restaurant and bar scene.

hnlax

Reaction score
as illustrated by baron, there are lots of possibilities. you could stay at the chateau marmont or the beverly hills hotel.

i visited a friend who was staying at the phillipe starck hotel near the beverly center. the room was really neat and it is relatively close to the shops in beverly hills, but the clientele at the bar seemed to be a lot of older guys with money hitting on younger girls. perhaps its better when you don't go on the weekends (i also saw ron artest there that night).

the standard has decent rates and is pretty nice (i go to get my haircut at rudy's barbershop inside). the rooftop bar is really neat at night, though the drinks aren't cheap ($12 bucks). they're not letting people on the roof up lately that aren't guests, which is strange, considering it's a recession and all (and that i can see the rooftop bar from my own roof and know that it's empty).

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is between the Standard and the Sunset Tower. The NYTimes had a very positive write-up this weekend on the Sunset Tower. The Chateau Marmont is about $600 a night so maybe we will swing by for a drink.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The Sunset Tower is much nicer than The Standard. I'm sure the Standard is cheaper, but if the price is right I'd stay at the Sunset Tower.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update-------

Just got back from Hollywood where we stayed at the Sunset Tower. They upgraded us to a one bedroom suite with a full view of LA at night. The staff was very, very friendly. There was no attitude anywhere. The hotel is very quiet and very well decorated. It has a rather elegant feel to it. I'm so glad we stayed there rather than the Chateau or Roosevelt or other hip hotel. This place is a real gem.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Update------- Just got back from Hollywood where we stayed at the Sunset Tower. They upgraded us to a one bedroom suite with a full view of LA at night. The staff was very, very friendly. There was no attitude anywhere. The hotel is very quiet and very well decorated. It has a rather elegant feel to it. I'm so glad we stayed there rather than the Chateau or Roosevelt or other hip hotel. This place is a real gem.
How was the premier? Did you get any good pics for the Are These Fake threak?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads