• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Matching 5 colors.........only to fail...

View attachment 2149965
View attachment 2149967
Sometimes we miss. But yeah this is a miss.
IMG_8771.gif

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The weather in NYCV continues spring-like, and dry (after about a one minute rain shower earlier today). After a day yesterday of practical matters, I intend to do nothing more rigorous this afternoon/evening than have dinner at a favorite place near Carnegie Hall (albeit the stroll to and from my apartment does count as exercise).

With St. Patrick's Day almost upon us, the color of the moment is green, and today's ensemble is a collection of items not worn recently that fit the color requirements of the day.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model name Gower 2

IMG_1049.JPG

IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_1047.JPG
IMG_1048.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 83

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like that tie but hard to match. :(
They used to be called urine ties in the halcyon days of SF, as favoured by pizza magnate and hapless presidential candidate Herman Cain. Don’t take the criticism to heart, I have never seen one look good - ever. It’s just not a colour that works well in business formal outfits. More gold / marigold / mango / mustard is usually an easier choice to work into an outfit.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, could I ask for some advice here? I am (slowly) building my wardrobe and I’m a novice in regards to pretty much everything.

I am looking to buy my second jacket (I have a navy one) and also a coat. I really like this gray one, more than I do the checkered pattern I tried on, I think because I am still getting a hang of things and gray is an easier color.

Also, what do you think of the coat? I was looking for a gray one but it was sold out. Do you think they’d look out of place if I wore jeans and boots with them on occasion? And is it too small?

Many many thanks everybody!

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpeg
    IMG_0756.jpeg
    312.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0749.jpeg
    IMG_0749.jpeg
    313.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    311.3 KB · Views: 84

Brennenman

Reaction score
Pi Day is approaching! Many of you know that I teach high school math in NYC. This is our Christmas.

Footnote: There are a handful of teachers at my school that wear ties and no sport coat and a handful that wear sport coats (casually) and no tie. I’m the only one who wears both. Certainly, the only one who wears a suit. Not that it matters, but I’m not losing clients or getting yelled at by my managers for wearing a pink sport coat to work. I can and do wear whatever I want. Today it was this. Tomorrow it may be a madras three piece suit. No telling.

View attachment 2148035
View attachment 2148033
View attachment 2148037
absolutely incredible suit!!

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching 5 colors.........only to fail...

View attachment 2149965
View attachment 2149967
The five colors are? I see olive, brown, blue, yellow. Is the 5th burgundy/red from the tie?

I like the combo of colors. The placement of the colors is the issue for me. I would have gone with a dark brown jacket, olive pants, yellow shirt, and blue tie with burgundy accents. Keep experimenting. Don't be discouraged.

lindenbaum

Reaction score
The five colors are? I see olive, brown, blue, yellow. Is the 5th burgundy/red from the tie?

I like the combo of colors. The placement of the colors is the issue for me. I would have gone with a dark brown jacket, olive pants, yellow shirt, and blue tie with burgundy accents. Keep experimenting. Don't be discouraged.
Haha I am not discouraged. I posted the outfit to show what worked not well. :)

Burgundy is the glen check trousers. Brown is the suede belt and unseen chukka boots. Thanks for the encouragement!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads