• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very elegant.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But a question I want to ask folks in general: do you guys dress with optimality as your primary goal?

I'm not sure I do. I'm a huge fan of brown tie with blue anything--it's thr world's greatest color combination imo. But I often know that one item or another would be better than what I have currently selected, but if I want to wear that selected item or that particular combination, provided it looks good, I don't let the better option deter me. Is this a deficiency in my dressing philosophy?

to answer your your first question, no. thats all i can say without getting mad.

it would follow then that my answer to your second question would also be no.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much doubt that optimality exists in all cases. It’s a bit like the notion of a ‘soulmate’: somewhere out there in Platonic heaven there’s your archetypal one-and-only perfect partner, and similarly every sport coat has its one-and-only ideal tie (for example). I doubt both propositions. Rather, given two fits that differ in only one item, there are two broad possibilities: you might prefer one to the other (in certain contexts or for certain purposes, perhaps) or you might think both equally good (or bad). That latter notion of ‘equally good’ is undervalued, I think. But it’s a fact of life.

But if optimality is a myth, it can be a very useful myth. Thinking in terms of optimality can be effective as a heuristic devices which encourages us to pay closer attention to things than we otherwise might, cataloging and considering options; perfection isn’t the goal, however: heightened awareness is the goal.

Cheers,

Ac

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes, one tries something different, only to confirm that the "optimal" combination is exactly that.

And then, there is always the "the right shirt is in the laundry hamper" . . .

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sometimes, one tries something different, only to confirm that the "optimal" combination is exactly that.

And then, there is always the "the right shirt is in the laundry hamper" . . .

That's two references to 'laundry hamper' is this a cross the pond thing?

I use a laundry basket for a worn shirt and a hamper for eating from. Eat my shorts!?!?

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know, pinstripe suits are growing on me.

Some of the super fine ones look amazing. I think they look really flattering as well. One of my bosses is wearing one today and he looks great. It doesn't look too showy or anything like that. It just fits him really well and is probably one of the 3 best suits I've seen him wear.

Heck, I'd even interview in that thing! (@GMMcL ).

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I am pleased that the quote was so well received,I would like to be remembered for my other postings as well, and equally, I am happy that the altercation has ceased.

Even though I am mostly a lurker in this thread, I think I can speak for everyone and say that you absolutely will.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry for the weird posing, don't know what that's all about:

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But a question I want to ask folks in general: do you guys dress with optimality as your primary goal?

I'm not sure I do. I'm a huge fan of brown tie with blue anything--it's thr world's greatest color combination imo. But I often know that one item or another would be better than what I have currently selected, but if I want to wear that selected item or that particular combination, provided it looks good, I don't let the better option deter me. Is this a deficiency in my dressing philosophy?

If you want to look good: yes; if you want to entertain yourself: no.

Very elegant.

Thank you.

Sorry for the weird posing, don't know what that's all about:

There must be something very fascinating on the ground; happens a lot to me, too.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frequently but not universally. When I don't, it's for the sake of experimentation/variety or to incorporate something new that I'm still figuring out how to use (which is a deficiency in my buying philosophy but unlikely to change). Whether I succeed is another question.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If you want to look good: yes

Dont really agree to this.

Especially regarding seasoned members. Its one thing if its a n00b, who may not realize what his options are, so, ok, its good to let him know that there might be a better option, but if its a guy who is a solid poster I dont buy it.

Maybe he just wants to wear that tie and that is the best jacket for it, maybe that combination was pleasing to him. Who knows, but if it looks good, it looks good.

Furthermore, who is to say a different color is objectively better? Its just different. And perhaps, what person A thinks is a better color combo, person B disagrees. One cannot say that objectively a brown tie would look better than a green tie, in a particular situation, it depends on the tastes of the person looking at it. Especially because clothing falls squarely in the beauty is in the eye of the beholder category. One mans optimal is another mans very nice but not optimal.

That being said, I dont think optimality is really even an attainable goal. Personal optimality perhaps, but not group. No fit will be optimal to everyone.

---

very cute bow tie fit, EFV.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads