• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still think 'busman' when I see Alan's fit, but this look (light colored and usually grey plaid jacket + navy underneath) is a classic exception because there's no plausible grey trew option,.  

As I understand it, the 'no-navy trews' convention is class-based,  part of the 'blue collar/white collar' distinction.  Maybe it's hard for (ahem) classless New Worlders/Republicans to get to grips with a tradition that comes out of a  class-conscious culture like the Brits'.  

I don't know how to bold your text via cell, but your assessment regarding Republicans might serve as adequate rationale for appreciation of navy trews.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I don't know how to bold your text via cell, but your assessment regarding Republicans might serve as adequate rationale for appreciation of navy trews.

should have been a little 'r'- I figured what with Greg being French and the fact that a lot of other posters r from 'classless' countries

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stuff gets blown out of proportion. Navy trousers aren't "advanced," but they also aren't the sure bet with almost any SC that mid-gray trousers are.

The question to ask is: Do SC, shirt, tie combos exist where navy trousers are the best pairing?

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ yep- mid-grey plaid jacket

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not expecting much love today

I got nothing but love for you and that outfit!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can testify that there is no reliable correlation between formality of dress and understanding of concert etiquette.

I would venture I'm not alone in saying I consider formality of dress to be a component of etiquette. Operas, weddings, funerals etc are special occasions and call for a bit more than jeans and a t-shirt. They call for your Sunday best.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having a personal (mentor, teacher, relative, etc) influence is overrated; at least, it's something I often see mentioned as contributing to some perceived downfall of men's fashion.

But having a few exemplars is important. At least, it was for me.

I've never had a personal mentor. Why can't one learn the basics on his own and then iterate combinations until a confident personal style is achieved?

Unless an occasion is super formal, I don't aim for 100% perfection in my combinations. Even if I do, I will be constantly thinking about how I'd tweak the combo, look at people I pass by, design magazines (not just fashion), and even IG and this thread for inspiration on mixing and matching.

My own belief is that personal style, when one is passionate and dedicated, will be an iterative process. Every outfit is a snapshot of your personal style in that moment, in whatever mood you were in. Plus, I enjoy experimenting with colors and patterns. Like problem solving, but way more expensive :)

Last edited:

coop23us

Reaction score

[ATTACHMENT=12696]image.jpeg (552k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Gray herringbone jacket and navy (gasp, cotton!?) pants.

Last edited:

TheoProf

Reaction score

Looking good @Theoprof. That collar choice suits you well.

Many thanks Pravda! Btw, I like your submission to the Friday challenge. I wasn't sure about the pocket square at first, but I think it's just a case of something I couldn't pull off. You wear it well. Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads