• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe my color sense is misguided, but navy trou seem like a great match with a camel SC. I would go with navy, burgundy, green, or brown before gray with camel.
+1. Camel hair SC + textured navy pents are a great look.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
If anyone's ever seen Wagner performed, they'll know that both the unwashed nerd in the Siegfried T-shirt and the bored, well-dressed couple looking furtively at their phones are both equally present and equally obnoxious.

And it’s not just Wagner. The operas I’ve most frequently attended have been in NYC, and I can testify that there is no reliable correlation between formality of dress and understanding of concert etiquette.

Nor is it just opera, of course. The worse cases I’ve seen have, as you might expect, been at university concerts. I haven’t been to one of my university orchestra’s concerts for a few years now (there are limits to how far I will go in the pursuit of good academic citizenship …), but the last time I attended there were a bunch of undergraduates in the back who were attending as part of the music appreciation course; I don’t know the details but apparently those enrolled in the course are required to attend a certain number of concerts. This group spent the first half talking and laughing and, believe it or not, eating potato chips.

I had a brief conversation with them during intermission …

Cheers,

Ac

Last edited:

doomx

Reaction score
Try to go past the pocket flap atrocity (took my phone out and ...). Also, this is at the end of the day, aka wrinkles.
BB, Lands end, Chipp, JCrew, BB, AE.

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I still think 'busman' when I see Alan's fit, but this look (light colored and usually grey plaid jacket + navy underneath) is a classic exception because there's no plausible grey trew option,.

As I understand it, the 'no-navy trews' convention is class-based, part of the 'blue collar/white collar' distinction. Maybe it's hard for (ahem) classless New Worlders/Republicans to get to grips with a tradition that comes out of a class-conscious culture like the Brits'.

Last edited:

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy cords for the all solid challenge. Doubly timely. Pocket square is blue oxford. I wasn't sure what other color square to go with. Any recs?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still think 'busman' when I see Alan's fit, but this look (light colored and usually grey plaid jacket + navy underneath) is a classic exception because there's no plausible grey trew option,.  

As I understand it, the 'no-navy trews' convention is class-based,  part of the 'blue collar/white collar' distinction.  Maybe it's hard for (ahem) classless New Worlders/Republicans to get to grips with a tradition that comes out of a  class-conscious culture like the Brits'.  

But navy and blues have also been used in military uniforms throughout the world, and military inspirations are at the top of what has been driving menswear for a while.

The no-navy pants thing is mostly a SF obsession. You see countless rakish dudes in outfits like the ones quoted above. Light sport coats with navy trousers is a great look, when done well. This weird prejudice here needs to be shaken off because everywhere else, well-dressed people offer daily reminder that it is utterly silly. Just need to open our eyes to see them.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It happens here every time. Someone says "Navy trousers are often worn poorly" or "Navy trousers are tough to pull off well"

Suddenly everyone gets all like...

"They said no one can ever wear navy trews!!!"

"Stop saying it's a rule to never wear navy trousers!!!"

"Why all the navy trouser hate???"

"You guys are silly for thinking navy trousers never look good!!!"

Listen, no one said any of this. No one hates navy trousers. Stop conflating this into something more than it is. This topic, I think, has run its course since no one seems to be listening to one another anymore.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're pretty bad at reading people's views and inferred opinions. Reading between the lines does not mean reading the white space between the lines.

It keeps being addressed because it keeps being brought up as a mistake or faux pas. People who know better have a little difficulty biting their tongue every time and letting the misinformation flow.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But navy and blues have also been used in military uniforms throughout the world, and military inspirations are at the top of what has been driving menswear for a while.

The no-navy pants thing is mostly a SF obsession. You see countless rakish dudes in outfits like the ones quoted above. Light sport coats with navy trousers is a great look, when done well. This weird prejudice here needs to be shaken off because everywhere else, well-dressed people offer daily reminder that it is utterly silly. Just need to open our eyes to see them.
good observation- I've exhausted my knowledge at this point
satisfied.gif
... there's more to it imo than SF blindness

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No it doesn't. You are completely misreading the conversation thus far. If you keep insisting that that is what people are saying even when they tell you specifically that it is not, I don't know what else to tell you.

Please step back from the keyboard for a minute and scroll up to re-read the initial statement from Colco to belkit, then the tag-teaming you participated in, with that sweet condescending tone towards belkit that he still has much to learn. There's no misreading here.

I'm sure that somehow you guys think you're trying to help (just like the guys who repost the "vaccines will give you autism if you eat gluten" Facebook posts) but I'm happy to step in and give my rebuke. And you're right that this is not a new topic.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Please step back from the keyboard for a minute and scroll up to re-read the initial statement from Colco to belkit, then the tag-teaming you participated in, with that sweet condescending tone towards belkit that he still has much to learn. There's no misunderstanding here.

then direct your comments to him. I never said any of the things you were talking about, nor did sander nor did EE FV, Nor did pliny. Your generalizing is as absurd as claiming that maybe trousers can never look good. Misdirected rebukes only make you look foolish.

Last edited:

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not about you! Why do you feel the need to go defensive and shoot down dissenting posts as if they were attacks on you (see back and forth with ericgereghty as well). This conversation is not about you. Please allow people to post their views without constantly putting yourself in the middle.

Last edited:

The Noodles

Skid Fu
Reaction score
If a navy jacket + grey trousers is a solid staple combo, why not the reverse?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Because you are complaining about something that doesn't exist. Of all the people who commented on this issue only one could even remotely be sad to be acting the way you're talking about. It's pointless and a waste of time, and a waste of my time to discuss it further.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads