• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
@justinkapur great fit! I think I remember seeing somewhere that you just use a single four-in-hand, so what brand do you use that gives you a large knot like that?

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
by the way, how much would you guys say a nice suit (but not exotic materials or anything) from TF, Zegna, or a similar brand costs on average? I've been doing some thinking about bespoke vs. brand-name RTW

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@justinkapur great fit! I think I remember seeing somewhere that you just use a single four-in-hand, so what brand do you use that gives you a large knot like that?

That's a Shibumi tie, but the size of a knot will depend on lots of factors: how the tie is cut, the width, material, lining, where you tie the knot, etc.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
That's a Shibumi tie, but the size of a knot will depend on lots of factors: how the tie is cut, the width, material, lining, where you tie the knot, etc.
true, but I usually can't get a nice large FIH like that with my ties when I tie them so the ends are approximately the same length and they're pretty large (3.75" at the widest). Maybe the interlining is thinner or the middle is skinnier or something.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
true, but I usually can't get a nice large FIH like that with my ties when I tie them so the ends are approximately the same length and they're pretty large (3.75" at the widest). Maybe the interlining is thinner or the middle is skinnier or something.

With a 3.75 inch blade, I would have thought this wouldn't typically be a problem unless you are very tall, and to get a normal length tie to reach the waistband of the pant, you need to tie it longer so knotting it at the thinner end.

Nothing wrong with a DFIH, tho, if that's what it takes. There's a way to tie the tie so it isn't obviously a DFIH knot which is to draw the blade between the two loops at the knot rather than under both loops (if that makes sense).

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, how much would you guys say a nice suit (but not exotic materials or anything) from TF, Zegna, or a similar brand costs on average? I've been doing some thinking about bespoke vs. brand-name RTW
Retail between TF and Zegna is a widish gap. I think most TF retail for $4k^, Zegna between $1.5K and $3K depending.

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
With a 3.75 inch blade, I would have thought this wouldn't typically be a problem unless you are very tall, and to get a normal length tie to reach the waistband of the pant, you need to tie it longer so knotting it at the thinner end.

Nothing wrong with a DFIH, tho, if that's what it takes. There's a way to tie the tie so it isn't obviously a DFIH knot which is to draw the blade between the two loops at the knot rather than under both loops (if that makes sense).
I'm pretty tall, but many of my ties are from Hober, so I order them long enough for the ends to be approximately the same and reach my waistband (this also means I won't have enough length to do a DFIH). It's not a huge deal though, I've just asked David to make the knot a bit larger for my future ties.

Also, I've always had trouble with the DFIH— whenever I pull through, the inner loop always pulls way too far down, away from the outer loop, instead of just peeking out

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
Retail between TF and Zegna is a widish gap. I think most TF retail for $4k^, Zegna between $1.5K and $3K depending.
thanks! didn't realize that—is there a quality difference that necessitates the higher price for TF, or is it just down to the name on the label?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty tall, but many of my ties are from Hober, so I order them long enough for the ends to be approximately the same and reach my waistband (this also means I won't have enough length to do a DFIH). It's not a huge deal though, I've just asked David to make the knot a bit larger for my future ties.

Also, I've always had trouble with the DFIH— whenever I pull through, the inner loop always pulls way too far down, away from the outer loop, instead of just peeking out

Yes, so try the alternative way of tying it, which I mentioned above. Pull the blade over the inner loop and under the outer loop. This means the blade will cover the inner loop (go over the inner loop, under the outer loop, rather than under both).

semperexcelsius

Reaction score
Yes, so try the alternative way of tying it, which I mentioned above. Pull the blade over the inner loop and under the outer loop. This means the blade will cover the inner loop (go over the inner loop, under the outer loop, rather than under both).
thanks for the tip—any advice on how to get it right if I wanted to show the inner loop just a bit?

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
thanks for the tip—any advice on how to get it right if I wanted to show the inner loop just a bit?

It's probably a matter of how you tighten the knot (try just tightening slowly). Best thing to do: chalk it up to Sprezz.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads