• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me choose a calling card design

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some simple designs I made. Which do you like best? New ideas welcome.

A.
a.jpg

B.
b.jpg

C.
c.jpg

D.
d.jpg

E.
e.jpg

F.
f.jpg

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What line of work are you in? Or what image do you want to project?

Those are all pretty close in style. I'd go with A. (the plain one) since the lines remind me of a upc/barcode.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Or what image do you want to project?

Key question, that. ^^^

Those lines are pretty daft; I don't think they actually carry any meaning but they look like they should which is confusing. A is the least bad.

If you are making a personal card it shouldn't look like a business card and mimick corporate stationery. It should carry the image of yourself that you wish to project as long as this doesn't mean a picture of a monster truck or a tape measure that folds out and says '******* is THIS long', or something else that's daft and garish.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why does anyone need a personal card? It seems like you're trying too hard...

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Why does anyone need a personal card? It seems like you're trying too hard...

I could see one being used for a luggage tag. A simple one with just a name and phone number centred. Otherwise, +1 on it being a stupid idea.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a calling card, blind embossed with an emblem and my name. I write on the reverse any contact information that I wish to share. Once you have them it's hard to go without. It's only stupid if you like identifying yourself by your job, or have no need of ever giving anyone your contact information.

~ H

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I have a calling card, blind embossed with an emblem and my name. I write on the reverse any contact information that I wish to share. Once you have them it's hard to go without. It's only stupid if you like identifying yourself by your job, or have no need of ever giving anyone your contact information.

~ H

Yours is just a name and an emblem? Do you write your contact information each time? What emblem did you use? I don't have a family coat of arms nor an animal that I identify with so I don't know what graphic I'd put on the card.

I travel a lot so the +1 is to let people know I'm in the U.S. This is a personal calling card so my line of work isn't of importance. I can only imagine myself giving to people whom I've met and liked and the feeling is mutual so I don't know if its so important that the card conveys "my image" but rather contains my contact information.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
Yours is just a name and an emblem? Do you write your contact information each time? What emblem did you use? I don't have a family coat of arms nor an animal that I identify with so I don't know what graphic I'd put on the card.

I travel a lot so the +1 is to let people know I'm in the U.S. This is a personal calling card so my line of work isn't of importance. I can only imagine myself giving to people whom I've met and liked and the feeling is mutual so I don't know if its so important that the card conveys "my image" but rather contains my contact information.

Everyone these days has a mobile phone. If it's for girls (admit it), they will think it's weird that you went to the trouble of printing cards when almost everyone just exchanges phone numbers that they put straight into their phones.

Anyway, I voted F for Fail.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone these days has a mobile phone. If it's for girls (admit it), they will think it's weird that you went to the trouble of printing cards when almost everyone just exchanges phone numbers that they put straight into their phones.

Anyway, I voted F for Fail.

I don't know about you, but when I'm navigating a party I'm not holding my cell phone exchanging numbers. This sums up the purpose of the card nicely:

Oftentimes when meeting someone, the connection you establish is too new for your acquaintance to feel comfortable calling. Perhaps before pursuing more contact, they'd like first to check out your Facebook page or blog or send you an email. And how many times in a conversation does someone tell you about their website or their blog, and you swear to check it out, but then can't remember its name when you get home? A calling card is the answer to all of these situations. A calling card can tell a new acquaintance more about you and help them better remember you. It provides a chance to enhance the first impression you make and gives your new acquaintances the ability to pursue a relationship with you in the way they feel most comfortable.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people trying to network, I've seen calling cards used extensively.

I think the first one is best because the rest are way too busy. If it were mine, I'd add my AIM also.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, just my name and the emblem. Well, and an engraved line below my name. Yes, I write however much contact info I wish to disclose each time, sometimes my email, sometimes the required info for soical networking site, sometimes phone #. The emblem is something that... is emblematic of me.
Right, mine is personal as well, I know many people use their professional card in those situations, which strikes me as ....odd and often inappropriate. I'm concerned that the ones you posted, especially with the bar codes, are too businesslike. Unless of course you are a geek and the barcode means something....

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everyone these days has a mobile phone. If it's for girls (admit it), they will think it's weird that you went to the trouble of printing cards when almost everyone just exchanges phone numbers that they put straight into their phones. Anyway, I voted F for Fail.
This is because you are a geek. My almost everyone is so not your almost everyone. Not always for girls. Probably less than 50%. ~ H

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
latinphrases33