• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me buy a computer

uvmboi13

Reaction score
Get a Mac or else you won't get laid.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn son, building the machine is my favorite part.

It sounds like you ended up with a pretty decent machine. Let me point out though, if you plan on playing the next Half Life, you will definitely need a discrete graphics card. That can wait for the time being though.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So here's how this went down: went to the store, they price matched all the other internet sites I found, they suggested not buying the CPU or case fans for now, they did suggest buying a graphics card so I got a Radeon 5750 (I think) for about $150, they mounted the CPU on the mobo and I assembled the rest of the system.

Total cost was around $800. $650 including tax until the graphics card came along.

Thing is damn fast. Of course I am well past the point where now it's the hard drive that makes things slow... I'm beginning to feel like I should have bought a faster HD.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless you get a SSD or Sata III HD, I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in HDDs.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
they did suggest buying a graphics card so I got a Radeon 5750 (I think) for about $150

Radeon 5750 or 5770? If the latter, you got a good deal as most 5770s go for $170 or so. Even if it was a 5750 it's still not a bad deal. I think you will like having the video card (either one) because you're at the sweet spot in price/performance.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
Radeon 5750 or 5770? If the latter, you got a good deal as most 5770s go for $170 or so. Even if it was a 5750 it's still not a bad deal. I think you will like having the video card (either one) because you're at the sweet spot in price/performance.

I believe he's also using CAD prices....so that's not too bad for a 5750.

I agree that either is a fantastic value for money option though.

Originally Posted by javyn
Unless you get a SSD or Sata III HD, I don't think you'll see a noticeable difference in HDDs.

Or RAID 0 array. 60-64gb SSD's are down to $100-120 after rebates. Good enough for OS and most applications.

Glad you enjoy your new rig. Remember to clean out the dust regularly and try not to accumulate too much crap on that 1tb....a clean system is a fast system.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Froze up while unzipping a .7z file just now.
cloud.gif

All prices CAD.

memtest?

You may need to go into the BIOS and manually set the speed, timings, and voltage to the manufacturer's specs.

I also suggest running Prime95 for at least a couple hours to make sure nothing fails. Check your temps while doing this as it will stress all 4 cores of your CPU to 100% and let you know if you risk overheating (I assume you're using stock cooling).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
memtest?

You may need to go into the BIOS and manually set the speed, timings, and voltage to the manufacturer's specs.

I also suggest running Prime95 for at least a couple hours to make sure nothing fails. Check your temps while doing this as it will stress all 4 cores of your CPU to 100% and let you know if you risk overheating (I assume you're using stock cooling).

Good advice, and be sure to find the Prime95 that supports multi-core and 64 bit if your OS is 64.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
System froze within a few seconds after starting the test. Is the RAM bad or do I just need to configure the BIOS as you suggested?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My guess is it's bad RAM, but it's just a guess.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the Memory Express website for your Mushkin XP3-10666 Blackline

Memory Type \tPC3-10666 DDR3 SDRAM
Speed\t1333 MHz
Timings\t7-7-7-20
Voltage\t1.7-1.8V
bios5.jpg

Using the image above as a reference point, set your Memclock Value to 1333mhz, DRAM timing to Auto for now (if you still have trouble go into manual mode and set them to 7-7-7-20 as they should follow in that order), and the Memory Overvoltage to 1.7v to start. Try running Memtest after that.

Chances are, your memory voltage at stock is too low for the Mushkin you put in there (I believe DDR3 defaults around 1.5v) which would definitely cause memory errors and crashes. If you still get errors, take it back to memoryexpress and let them know, they should give you a replacement set of ram no problems.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now say i were buying a regular pc and not building my own or whatever, would i need to go through all of this crap

because uhh, well, i don't know any of it

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
From the Memory Express website for your Mushkin XP3-10666 Blackline

Using the image above as a reference point, set your Memclock Value to 1333mhz, DRAM timing to Auto for now (if you still have trouble go into manual mode and set them to 7-7-7-20 as they should follow in that order), and the Memory Overvoltage to 1.7v to start. Try running Memtest after that.

Chances are, your memory voltage at stock is too low for the Mushkin you put in there (I believe DDR3 defaults around 1.5v) which would definitely cause memory errors and crashes. If you still get errors, take it back to memoryexpress and let them know, they should give you a replacement set of ram no problems.

The image you have there is for a slightly different model of mobo. Mine doesn't have the same screens. It has similar information, stuff like:
CPU offset voltage
CPU/NB offset voltage
DRAM voltage
HT voltage
NB voltage

confused.gif

Originally Posted by oman
now say i were buying a regular pc and not building my own or whatever, would i need to go through all of this crap

because uhh, well, i don't know any of it

No.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The image you have there is for a slightly different model of mobo. Mine doesn't have the same screens. It has similar information, stuff like:
CPU offset voltage
CPU/NB offset voltage
DRAM voltage
HT voltage
NB voltage

confused.gif

You must have a different BIOS version then, because that's a screenshot from the mobo you linked earlier (Asus M4A785TD-V EVO).

DRAM voltage is what you need to get to around 1.7-1.8v. There should be an option to set memory values manually; you're looking to set the frequency to 1333mhz.

Let us know how it goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads