• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Greatest quarterback ever

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rush Limbaugh thread in CE got a little derailed with a conversation about the greatest QB ever. Here's Peter King's top 12. Thoughts?

1. Otto Graham. Easy. Ten seasons, seven championships, seven passing titles.

2. Sammy Baugh. Had the best season of any player ever in 1943. Led the NFL in passing, punting and, as one of the best safeties in football, in interceptions.

3. Joe Montana. Made everyone copy Walsh's high-tech offense, and won four titles in a decade.

4. Johnny Unitas. First great modern quarterback, and great in the clutch. He'd be higher if he won more than one title in his last 14 seasons.

5. Brett Favre. Most durable, most productive quarterback of all time. Marred by only one title.

6. Peyton Manning. Could break every record if Favre ever retires. Needs another championship or two to climb the list.

7. John Elway. Two titles, though they came late, capped the career of a Unitas-type with legs.

8. Dan Marino. Prototype dropback quarterback who, arguably, was the model for the pocket quarterback of the last 40 years.

9. Roger Staubach. Might be the best player/athlete/leader of a quarterback ever, and he edges Steve Young in my book with a second title and three more title-game appearances.

10. Tom Brady. Three Super Bowl wins by age 27, and a fourth appearance at 30.

11. Bart Starr. All he did was win -- five NFL titles, including the first two Super Bowl titles, both ending with him being MVP.

12. Terry Bradshaw. Rebounded from a horrible start to his career to lead the Steelers to four Super Bowls in six years.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Graham and Montana should probably be 1A and 1B, or so I have heard from people who watched both. I'd rank Montana #1, but I saw him play a ton and never saw Graham. I don't know that Baugh's reputation as a safety is important when judging quarterbacks. He wouldn't make my top ten. From there, Elway hops to just after Unitas, and Steve Young replaces Starr/Bradshaw. Good list, though.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I'm biased towards Baugh as a Redskins fan, he's from a totally different era. It's impossible to compare him. I also agree that his playing on both sides of the ball shouldn't really factor into the discussion. I have no problem excluding him from the discussion.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
While I'm biased towards Baugh as a Redskins fan, he's from a totally different era. It's impossible to compare him. I also agree that his playing on both sides of the ball shouldn't really factor into the discussion. I have no problem excluding him from the discussion.
It is also pretty tough to know how much of Graham and Montana could really be called Brown and Walsh.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty good list. I'm surprised at how low Brady is, given King's well-known nuthugging of Belichick and New England. Elway should be higher. His two Super Bowl wins came when Terrell Davis was the Man in Denver, but he dragged Denver to three Super Bowl appearances with no one else of note on the team.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think by the time he retires, Tom Brady will be #1 QB of all time.

I say that even though he's probably my least favorite player, on my least favorite team in the NFL.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bullshit, where the hell is Romo on the list?!
plain.gif

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Montana. Period. And I'll fight any man who says otherwise.

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by onion
I think by the time he retires, Tom Brady will be #1 QB of all time.

I say that even though he's probably my least favorite player, on my least favorite team in the NFL.

Being that I have Randy Moss on my money league fantasy team, I've been watching a lot of Patriots games this year. Brady still has a way to go to get back to where he was pre-injury. Each of the past 3 games, he's missed a wide open Moss for a td by overthrowing him by 5 yards. Not as crisp as he once was but I'm sure as the rust wears off his accuracy will improve.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manning > Brady. Without Manning the colts are 6-10 team, rather than a 12-4 team last season. He himself has more impact on his team's success than any other QB in the league. All he's missing is the championships. He gets a few more of those, undisputed he is greater than Brady.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The big knock on Brady, and the reason he isn't higher on this list, is that he has played on some great teams. For the first Super Bowl, he was a Trent Dilfer-like game manager. He was more than a manager for the next two, but the New England offense was clearly subordinate to the defense. The one Super Bowl that the New England offense was superior to the defense he loses and only scores 14 points.

Manning is better than Brady in all areas except two: (1) ability to throw the deep ball, and (2) pocket presence. Brady has looked skittish in the pocket this year, and I don't know if he'll ever get back to where he was before the knee injury.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great List -- I don't know much about the guys listed at the beginning, but their stats obviously speak for themselves. Personally, championships aside, I'll take Marino over Elway anyday. I've always been a Marino fan for his sheer ability to stand in the pocket and throw. He didn't move well, if at all, and just made ridiculous completions time and time again..I will, however, put Montana above Marino even with those KC numbers..

Brady, Manning and Favre are superior, indeed.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to say that Montana/Young are the best I've seen, followed by Peyton, Marino, Elway, Brady, Brees, Favre, Warner, and Kelly. In that order. I honestly couldn't judge the old schoolers. I wasn't around.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads