• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

basu13

Reaction score
Saddle tan Diesels.

IMG_20230701_205815.jpg
IMG_20230701_205927.jpg

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We’re back. Strange to be so excited for plain toes after years of only wanting cap toes, moc toes, wingtips, etc. glad to be wearing Grant Stone again.

Both pairs look great to me. I was debating between Dune, Crimson, and Bourbon suede. I felt Dune would complement my wardrobe best. Particularly my mustard yellow clothing, but I thought it would also look great with black and everything else. If the Crimson CXL Diesel had a brown welt I think I would have considered it more. The natural welt/edge makes it stand out more than I would prefer currently.

IMG_4768.jpeg

colton2e

Reaction score
If the Crimson CXL Diesel had a brown welt I think I would have considered it more. The natural welt/edge makes it stand out more than I would prefer currently.
You could always stain it yourself. Brown CXL is just such an underrated color.

basu13

Reaction score
We’re back. Strange to be so excited for plain toes after years of only wanting cap toes, moc toes, wingtips, etc. glad to be wearing Grant Stone again.

Both pairs look great to me. I was debating between Dune, Crimson, and Bourbon suede. I felt Dune would complement my wardrobe best. Particularly my mustard yellow clothing, but I thought it would also look great with black and everything else. If the Crimson CXL Diesel had a brown welt I think I would have considered it more. The natural welt/edge makes it stand out more than I would prefer currently.

View attachment 1983757

Recently started wearing plain toes myself and started with the crimson CXL and the saddle tan Diesels. Enjoying the look quite a bit, though id found it a trifle boring till now. All I had hitherto were captoes and NSTs and wingtips. Will perhaps pick up the Dune Diesels sometime this year.

Last edited:

Erikdayo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First day out with the Dune Diesels. I did spend some time breaking them in at home over the weekend.

IMG_4799.jpeg

You could always stain it yourself. Brown CXL is just such an underrated color.
This is true. And while this is doable I would rather just get something that is exactly what I want from the beginning. Previously I have taken some things to the cobbler day 1 and do not really enjoy that. Or in this case I’m sure I could dye the welt myself. Not interested.

Recently started wearing plain toes myself and started with the crimson CXL and the saddle tan Diesels. Enjoying the look quite a bit, though id found it a trifle boring till now. All I had hitherto were captoes and NSTs and wingtips. Will perhaps pick up the Dune Diesels sometime this year.
They might look more boring on their own, but i suppose that leads to greater versatility.

Last edited:

John8433

Reaction score
@GrantStone Just my 2 cents but I really miss when Giovanni did his exceptional customer service. I really don’t enjoy dealing with Kim who does subpar passive aggressive customer service and doesn’t seem like she enjoys her job. Every time Giovanni fixed an issue or offered a solution I would often quite literally end up just Buying another paid because of his exceptional customer service.

GrantStone

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@GrantStone Just my 2 cents but I really miss when Giovanni did his exceptional customer service. I really don’t enjoy dealing with Kim who does subpar passive aggressive customer service and doesn’t seem like she enjoys her job. Every time Giovanni fixed an issue or offered a solution I would often quite literally end up just Buying another paid because of his exceptional customer service.
I will send you a DM, thanks.

Waxed

Reaction score

Giovanni is awesome. He’s handled correspondence and inspected all three of my pairs.

707Matt

Reaction score
About 2 and a half weeks in. Any thoughts on what the heck I did to make this long wierd crease going down the inside? I have never seen anything like it. I will highlight what I am talking about now so I don't repeat myself over and over again.

Attachments

• 20230705_161943.jpg
    20230705_161943.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 20230705_161927.jpg
    20230705_161927.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230705_205351.jpg
    20230705_205351.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230705_205318.jpg
    20230705_205318.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20230705_210643_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_210643_Gallery.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20230705_210556_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230705_210556_Gallery.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 100

basu13

Reaction score
About 2 and a half weeks in. Any thoughts on what the heck I did to make this long wierd crease going down the inside? I have never seen anything like it. I will highlight what I am talking about now so I don't repeat myself over and over again.
Difficult to pinpoint, really. Our feet move and bend in multiple ways through the course of any given period of time and this differs based on the gait, terrain walked on, weight of body and various other factors.

That said, I'd look at this just as a form of the shoe conforming to your feet and gait and not worry about it. Frankly, I've never examined my boots at this level and just welcome all such signs of wear and tear 😁 your boots look well worn and patinated already, so enjoy!

707Matt

Reaction score
Difficult to pinpoint, really. Our feet move and bend in multiple ways through the course of any given period of time and this differs based on the gait, terrain walked on, weight of body and various other factors.

That said, I'd look at this just as a form of the shoe conforming to your feet and gait and not worry about it. Frankly, I've never examined my boots at this level and just welcome all such signs of wear and tear 😁 your boots look well worn and patinated already, so enjoy!
Thank you for that! I really am enjoying them.
In the short time I've had them, they have been many places. They have gone to many beaches, caves, riding across the Golden Gate Bridge, down Lombard St, and out in the country shooting on the 4th. This is just the beginning!
Any recommendations on caring for this particular leather? Which product and how often? I just brush them when I notice dirt.
Oh, and my 11 year old daughter keeps taking them to smell the leather..... lol

Attachments

• 20230626_221806.jpg
    20230626_221806.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 76

basu13

Reaction score
Thank you for that! I really am enjoying them.
In the short time I've had them, they have been many places. They have gone to many beaches, caves, riding across the Golden Gate Bridge, down Lombard St, and out in the country shooting on the 4th. This is just the beginning!
Any recommendations on caring for this particular leather? Which product and how often? I just brush them when I notice dirt.
Oh, and my 11 year old daughter keeps taking them to smell the leather..... lol
Saddle tan Diesels would require occasional light coat of Venetian shoe cream and brushing - frequency depending on how worn out or dry the leather looks and feels to the touch. No hard and fast rule on the frequency, though. Saphir renovateur would also do a good job if you happen to have that lying around.

The saddle tan leather does smell great. As does the CXL on GS boots.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamonyx