• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Good trousers without side buckles?

admz

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been recently looking to shift my office trousers selection from standard flat front chinos into something a little more interesting. I've been looking at entry level brands that are usually recommended on here (Cavour, Natalino, Pini Parma, Rubinacci RTW), but most of them have side buckles instead of belt loops.

I understand that they're meant to look more "sartorial", but I don't get the point of replacing belt hooks with buckles at all costs (everyone can see the trousers are not bespoke, it's a bit like faking an unbuttoned sleeve on a suit jacket).

I also wouldn't mind having some pairs with buckles, just not every single one of them. Does anyone have recommendations for good alternative options? Ideally something that can be tried on (in Europe), otherwise online works as well.

Thanks!

rjc149

Reaction score
Most American tailored clothiers (Brooks Bros, Hickey Freeman, J Press etc), have thankfully not gone all-in on side tabs like many others seem to have done recently, a trend I also find annoying. I prefer regular good ol' belt loops.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might find something you like from Incotex. The Italian brand has stockists all around Europe.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I personally love Zanella. Their more current styles, like the Curtis, are awesome. Never seen side tabs on any Zanella pants and the quality is outstanding.

admz

Reaction score
Most American tailored clothiers (Brooks Bros, Hickey Freeman, J Press etc), have thankfully not gone all-in on side tabs like many others seem to have done recently, a trend I also find annoying. I prefer regular good ol' belt loops.
I can find Brooks Brothers in Europe, not sure about the others, but I'll look for them, thanks. I have to say I have never been too impressed with the shape of BB trousers (shirts, on the other hand...)
You might find something you like from Incotex. The Italian brand has stockists all around Europe.
Thanks, I didn't know of them but they seem quite interesting, if a little focused on flat front pants. But will give them a shot, they seem to be available at a nearby store.
I personally love Zanella. Their more current styles, like the Curtis, are awesome. Never seen side tabs on any Zanella pants and the quality is outstanding.
The products look amazing, but I don't understand whether it's an American brand or an Italian one. They seem to be based out of Italy but only list stockists in the US.
Rota seems to have plenty of options with belt loops as well.
At some point I will buy Rota, I am not yet ready to enter that budget bracket for trousers though. I've been trying to snap some up on sale, but it's very difficult due to how popular they are. You are right though, they would be the perfect choice.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can find Brooks Brothers in Europe, not sure about the others, but I'll look for them, thanks. I have to say I have never been too impressed with the shape of BB trousers (shirts, on the other hand...)

Thanks, I didn't know of them but they seem quite interesting, if a little focused on flat front pants. But will give them a shot, they seem to be available at a nearby store.

The products look amazing, but I don't understand whether it's an American brand or an Italian one. They seem to be based out of Italy but only list stockists in the US.

At some point I will buy Rota, I am not yet ready to enter that budget bracket for trousers though. I've been trying to snap some up on sale, but it's very difficult due to how popular they are. You are right though, they would be the perfect choice.
Personally love Rota as well but I wouldn’t put them in the chino category. The cotton Rotas I have are more dressy, almost like fine woolens. And at their price point I wouldn’t wear them while knocking around. I think of chinos/khakis as something to wear at the flea market. Rota is for going out to dinner. To me.

admz

Reaction score
Personally love Rota as well but I wouldn’t put them in the chino category. The cotton Rotas I have are more dressy, almost like fine woolens. And at their price point I wouldn’t wear them while knocking around. I think of chinos/khakis as something to wear at the flea market. Rota is for going out to dinner. To me.
Absolutely, I actually was looking for something a little dressier than a standard chino. I have been wearing the same style of very basic chino to work for the past 5 years, and I wanted to start wearing something different.

My office is quite a dressed down environment so I won't wear a suit in most occasions, so I was leaning towards something dressier than chinos but still good with just a button down. Single or double pleated, a little higher rise also wouldn't hurt in general.

These are the kind of thing that I have looked at in the past couple of weeks, I have ordered some to try on. All these brands seem very happy with side adjusters though.

Berg&Berg:
c11475_2880x3998_crop_center.jpg

Pini Parma:
coralbiellatrousers_4_2048x.jpg

Natalino:
e25b5f9b3d2b4652b94ad50e8582b032.thumbnail.0000000000_1000x.jpg

Rota (would be the best, but out of budget for now):
1J8A4597.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads